• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

combining marantz cinema 50 with topping la90 for tannoy xt8f

slacki

Hi, i have a 5.1.4 Auro3D Setup (FL/FR Tannoy XT8F, Arendal 1723 Center, Tannoy XT6F for SL and SR, 4x Tannoy XT6 as heights) and was wondering if it would make sense to buy a Topping LA90 to power the FL and FR - especially when i want to listen in stereo.
The Topping had a very good measure from amir and is currently available at https://www.amazon.de/Topping-Leist...Einstellungen-Amplifier-Schwarz/dp/B09Z67F4HC, i am just a bit afraid because the seller is "Shenzhenshi gushengsedianzi youxiangongsi" which looks a bit fishy to me :>

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a few thoughts. Normally, I'd prefer to run LCR all on the same amp so levels are easily matched. However, your Arendal MTM speaker is different from the rest, so maybe that's not such a consideration. The LA90 is not super-high-powered, according to Amir's results, it looks like max power is 36W at 8 ohms. If we look at the Cinema 50, it is claiming 110W @ 8 ohms with 2-channels driven and D+M guarantees 70% up to 5 channels, so that's 77 WPC. Big difference.

Not sure why you are interested in the LA90 to be honest. If you are chasing SINAD, then the bottleneck will be the receiver, not the amp. If you are worried about power and want more, then you should look for an outboard amp with more power, like an Emotiva BasX A3 which will let you drive your front LCR trio at 140 WPC.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the cinema50 and the topping, in fact the topping would hard clip way before the marantz, probably sounding worse.

OP
S

slacki

Oh, thanks, i thought its 110W@2ch
I never had a class-d amp and wondering if it would make sense to buy one from buckeye. I dont like emotiva that much tbh

Kimbrough Xu

I have a few thoughts. Normally, I'd prefer to run LCR all on the same amp so levels are easily matched. However, your Arendal MTM speaker is different from the rest, so maybe that's not such a consideration. The LA90 is not super-high-powered, according to Amir's results, it looks like max power is 36W at 8 ohms. If we look at the Cinema 50, it is claiming 110W @ 8 ohms with 2-channels driven and D+M guarantees 70% up to 5 channels, so that's 77 WPC. Big difference.

Not sure why you are interested in the LA90 to be honest. If you are chasing SINAD, then the bottleneck will be the receiver, not the amp. If you are worried about power and want more, then you should look for an outboard amp with more power, like an Emotiva BasX A3 which will let you drive your front LCR trio at 140 WPC.
The Emotiva BasX A3 has three inputs for the three channels, how can I connect it to my TV which has RCA output.

And why does the Emotiva add an input to each channel?

OP
S

slacki

why dont you open a new thread? i mean... this thread has _nothing_ to do with your problem

Top Bottom