• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Combining crosstalk reduction with loudspeakers & room equalization

I'd like to introduce some of the work I have done regarding active correction algorithms.

This has started some years ago as a DIY activity and with the challenge of addressing loudspeakers directivity issues. The quest for balanced directivity was quite obvious after reading the inspiring work of Dr. Floyd E.Toole.

As standard equalization can't help in this matter, I had to think outside of the box to find an appropriate solution. It might be seen as a sacrilege by some audiophiles but using some specifically tuned sort of artificial reverberation turned out to be successful : as it comes as a complement to the natural room response the magical brain processing makes the blending. In the end the room effects are less noticeable thanks to the improved balance between the direct sound and the reverberated one. Some more info is available here: https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com/english/technology/

More recently I was asked by beta testers to investigate the crosstalk reduction problem as it was revitalized by the 3D33A lab at Princeton university. By updating some old algorithms it was possible to achieve effective crosstalk reduction, good robustness to head movements and without tonal coloration outside listening area.

Combining crosstalk reduction with loudspeaker & room equalization provides a major step for every audio system. Thanks to off-line processing you can have a idea of the potential on test tracks of your choice. Requirements are listed here https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com/english/requirements/

Thierry

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I already use convolution filters with a 4 way active system. I playback with Roon and its convolver.

1. Would I be able to take my sweep measurements with my existing IR filters in place? I could use Jriver ASIO line in.

2. Would I be able to convolve my existing IR filters with with the cross-talk reduction filters and use them together in Roon?

Thank you,
Michael.

Last edited:
OP
Home Audio Fidelity
Yes this is possible. You can even make the measurements using Roon with its convolver (using REW as measurement tool) You can contact me by mail for more detailed instructions.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Yes this is possible. You can even make the measurements using Roon with its convolver (using REW as measurement tool) You can contact me by mail for more detailed instructions.
Thank you. I sent you a PM.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed your website some days ago, Thierry. Looks very interesting!

Top Bottom