• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Combined spin for speakers that need a sub?

hex168

The "score with sub" is already calculated. Is it possible to show a calculated spin for the speaker being tested combined with a Rhythmik Audio L12 (the only ASR-reviewed sub)?

I would have no idea how to do it - I'm bringing up the question for the math-and-graph-heads here. I suppose it is easier with a fixed crossover, but two or three choices might make sense given the variability in the point at which distortion gets out of hand for a tested speaker.

I've gathered that Amir does not care for making the end-user integrate a sub in order to have a complete system, but there are so many design advantages to limiting the low frequency response of the mains that I'd like to get a better view of the (theoretical) system performance.

Thoughts?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Spins don't really matter for low bass, is the thing. All speakers and subs(minus some very specialized/expensive stuff like the Genelec W371A) are omnidirectional by 100hz, so you don't learn anything from the dispersion. Because of this, EQ also behaves in a predictable manner.

The biggest variables with bass performance are your room and crossover, neither of which Amir/Klippel can help you with. Assuming a well-done crossover, you can pretty much extend your speaker's low-bass performance to the -6dB point of your sub. That is what the 'with sub' formula is doing -- assuming a -6dB point of 15hz instead of the speaker's. That also does require a sub that is flat(or EQed flat) to 20hz in your room.

So basically what I am saying is, if you plan to use a sub, you should ignore the spin below the planned crossover point.

The only edge case where this might not work out is with a speaker that has an EXTREMELY steep dropoff right below your crossover -- crossovers are not cliffs and so some ability to play on both sides of it is required. This depends on the crossover slope, and for 80-100hz, it's rarely a problem. Even my tiny KH80s are fine with an 80hz crossover(though they play louder with a 100hz one, of course).

OP
H

hex168

I was not sure if a spin had value in the bass, at least for a monopole sub. Thanks for clarifying.

Top Bottom