• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Combined 2ch system and home theater

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Not perfect. You need to program the JRMC keystroke shortcuts into the custom field and JRMC's response is a little stiff. Nonetheless, it is extremely useful to have this on the coffee table so that I, and others, can use it quickly and intuitively.
Programming in forward/back would be easy but switching the Dial back and forth from this to VC is not without having a screen display directly at hand.

Oh, yes... wouldn't really be able to see the change options necessary without a visual screen at hand. Perhaps in the far flung future version x of the microsoft surface dial would then have incorporated a visual touch screen directly on itself. Now pushing on the dial pops up the menu options over the dial's top OLED screen "surface". A light tap or two could even show the currently playing track and artist, etc. Turning the volume dial will also show current dB or % volume level. :eek:(Almost) No need for an extra remote, smartphone or computer screen at all! :cool: One could always dream bigger!

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Oh, yes... wouldn't really be able to see the change options necessary without a visual screen at hand. Perhaps in the far flung future version x of the microsoft surface dial would then have incorporated a visual touch screen directly on itself. Now pushing on the dial pops up the menu options over the dial's top OLED screen "surface". A light tap or two could even show the currently playing track and artist, etc. Turning the volume dial will also show current dB or % volume level. :eek:(Almost) No need for an extra remote, smartphone or computer screen at all! :cool: One could always dream bigger!
Let me know when you are ready to begin shipping.

angelluisg

Why do you need the Emotiva or any other such device (except for HT)? Why not DAC output to the amps?
Hi, I have a question..? Running system 7.2.4 Marantz Av 7705(preamplifier)+monolith X11 (amp)+11 klipsch speakers ..looking for streaming devices dac , if connection to streaming dac to optical or rca to marantz av7705 ..which Dac is working..? Streaming dac? Or marantz?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hi, I have a question..? Running system 7.2.4 Marantz Av 7705(preamplifier)+monolith X11 (amp)+11 klipsch speakers ..looking for streaming devices dac , if connection to streaming dac to optical or rca to marantz av7705 ..which Dac is working..? Streaming dac? Or marantz?
??? Hard to parse your signal path. Can you map it?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Optical = Marantz DAC
RCA = Marantz Pure Direct Maybe.

Perhaps @peng can chime in here because my experience is with the older Marantz AV8801. My guess is that if bass management is engaged then and producing sound from the subwoofer for 2.0, then there is an analog to digital conversion. When AD occurs, you are using the Marantz DAC.

- Rich

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Optical = Marantz DAC
RCA = Marantz Pure Direct Maybe.

Perhaps @peng can chime in here because my experience is with the older Marantz AV8801. My guess is that if bass management is engaged then and producing sound from the subwoofer for 2.0, then there is an analog to digital conversion. When AD occurs, you are using the Marantz DAC.

- Rich

Optical = Marantz DAC, i.e. the AK4458 should be a know fact, there is no other way.

Your point about bass management (not the double bass thing alone..) is a what caused me to starting doubting my previous assumption that direct/pure direct would bypass the ADC/DSP/DAC blocks.

So now I agree that RCA analog input is a different story that require further digging.

a) If direct or pure direct modes are engaged, and the left/right speakers are selected "large" the signal might bypass the ADC/DSP/DAC path, and go directly to the volume control block instead. It was shown on multiple pages in the service manual that the direct path and the ADC path both exist and are selectable via the NJU72750 switch. Obviously the "double bass"/LFE+Main feature would still be allowed, it could be implemented independently so it does not have to be a negating indicator imo.
https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf/1100592/NewJapanRadio/NJU72750A/1
I have to say "might" because they may or may not have implemented the selectable "bypass" feature.

b) If direct or pure direct modes are engaged, but left/right speakers are set to "small" then all the bass management features appear to be intact, including the crossover settings, so that indicates the signal have to go through the ADC/DSP/DAC path.

I may email Denon/Marantz for clarifications, in the hope that one may just respond, but I won't bet money on that either..

Denon support (If true, it is reasonable to assume the same would apply to Marantz) did have the following to say about pure direct mode but still not 100% clear because: How can dsp processing be "not used" if some bass management features remain? That's why I guessed that there are caveats to go along with the so called direct/pure direct modes, such as setting speakers to "large".., but that's purely my own educated guess..

"......If you're a purist, yet still want the benefit of using all the speakers of your home theater system, we suggest that you consider Denon's Pure Direct mode for bypassing all DSP processing. Pure Direct will provide a 2 channel or 2.1 channel output that doesn't use any DSP processing from the receiver."

https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/68/~/choosing-surround-modes

angelluisg

??? Hard to parse your signal path. Can you map it?
for example bluesound N2 i to RCA marantz av 7705 this is DAC bluesound n2 i ? or marantz AV 7705?
same example by optical? bluesound N2 i to optical marantz av 7705 this is DAC bluesound n2 i ? or marantz AV 7705?
and question how you connect DAC to my System 7.2.4 to tested my quality DAC..and better sound DAC that I have now Marantz Av 7705 ?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
for example bluesound N2 i to RCA marantz av 7705 this is DAC bluesound n2 i ? or marantz AV 7705?
Do you mean RCA as in S/PDIF or as analog? If the latter, does the 7705 analog input redigitize the signal? If it is the stereo analog input, the answer is Yes. If so, both DACs are in use with an ADC in between. If the former, the Marantz DAC is the only one in use.
same example by optical? bluesound N2 i to optical marantz av 7705 this is DAC bluesound n2 i ? or marantz AV 7705?
Same answer as for S/PDIF above: Marantz DAC only.
question how you connect DAC to my System 7.2.4 to tested my quality DAC..and better sound DAC that I have now Marantz Av 7705 ?
Does this mean that you want to add an external DAC to this system? The answer will depend on whether or not you can pass analog (un- re-digitized) through the Marantz.

Cugel

My humble response to the OP who wants to share components between HT and 2 channel activities.

My setup has bi-amped speakers due to external active crossover needed for the speakers.

I cannot use an amp selector as 100% of all amp selectors that I saw online could only cope with a single rca L/R signal and could not deal with the bi-amped signal that I need.

Signal chain:
Inputs (streaming music or video/MC audio via Roku) -> to Atom amp -> (via monoprice rca cables) to miniDSP 2x4 (external crossover) -> (via rca) Adcom 2535 4-channel amp -> (via rca) Linkwitz lx mini speakers

The trick to solve this unusual problem was to use the jds labs Atom as a pre-amplifier/switch before the miniDSP active crossover. Using the Atom I can switch between the multichannel signals from the Denon pre-outs and the 2 channel audio from the raspberry pi & External DAC while outputting a pre-out signal via rca. I additionally gain a high-quality headphone amplifier that is likely an improvement on the Denon receiver's headphone amp.

For music bypassing the Denon's dac and using a Topping D30 dac dramatically improved sound quality for this setup - with very revealing speakers.
I don't really hear any issues for the multi-channel HT audio as most of what I recall hearing is dialog with music/effects being minor by comparison.

Hope this helps someone.

Top Bottom