• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Combined 2ch system and home theater

murl

I will be moving out of my condo soon to a house which means I will get my 5.2 system back. I have an older outdated Marantz receiver that doesn't support the newer video or audio formats. I listen to a lot of music mainly with headphones but also like home theater. Jurassic Park just isn't the same with TV speakers. What is the best strategy for combining the two? Have a separate DAC to an analog in to the receiver using some form of "direct" or "pure" sound mode? Have two totally different set ups with a speaker selector or just change the cables? I haven't been on the forum long but it doesn't seem like receivers measure well and I haven't been extremely pleased with them in the past compared to other set ups I have heard. Would like to know someone else's thoughts.

MSNWatch

The measurement issues are for the most part not audible with normal usage. Like many here I crave components that measure well - have been a Benchmark fan for years and own a couple of their preamps - but for your situation other aspects take precedence. Best to select a receiver based on features including power output and room correction system. And of course choice of speakers/headphone and room placement. And finally quality of the recording either Stereo or movie soundtrack.

etc6849

There's no way I've found to get top level performance from any AVR or AVP (and I've owned a lot of them :( ).

I finally got fed up with all the limitations of consumer gear and ended up using AES digital outputs to drive Xilica XD4080 Speaker processors that drive Benchmark amps. Of course, I'm doing FIR filtering and actively tri-amping too, but no reason you can't use a few Xilica's and an RME soundcard with multiple AES outputs.

PS: my two channel setup does cross to multiple subs to further improve performance. Using just two speakers is too limited in performance.

theater.jpg

Theater Back2.jpg

OP
M

murl

Really impressive. I need to read more about xilica, haven't heard of it before you mentioned it. The only other problem is it needs to be somewhat user friendly for the wife. Right now I have all Definitive technology speakers in storage. I will probably upgrade the mains at some point.

OP
M

murl

Are there any preamp processors that have better feature sets and quality?

etc6849

If you spend $20k or more, I'm sure Datastat RS20i and Trinnov Altitude 32 would be great, but definitely not better than my setup. I wouldn't settle for consumer gear that can't output pro level voltages with ultra low distortion.

I've seen enough measurements of consumer AVR/AVPs here to know I will never buy another one. Consumer gear gets outdated too quickly too. I don't really care for HDMI and it's DRM either. I know not everyone is going for best possible performance though, so it's totally up to you and how much time and money you want to spend.

PS: you can use the JRiver ipad app (JRemote) and other similar options for easy control.

Are there any preamp processors that have better feature sets and quality?

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There's no way I've found to get top level performance from any AVR or AVP (and I've owned a lot of them :( ).

I finally got fed up with all the limitations of consumer gear and ended up using AES digital outputs to drive Xilica XD4080 Speaker processors that drive Benchmark amps. Of course, I'm doing FIR filtering and actively tri-amping too, but no reason you can't use a few Xilica's and an RME soundcard with multiple AES outputs.

PS: my two channel setup does cross to multiple subs to further improve performance. Using just two speakers is too limited in performance.

View attachment 34557

View attachment 34558
very purty indeed!!

carlob

Forum Donor
Have two totally different set ups with a speaker selector or just change the cables?

I have two different setups with an amp selector as my main loudspeakers are shared between the two systems.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My system is heavily weighted in favour of stereo.
My main amp has a straight through option on one input, so whilst I only use CD/LP/FM/streaming in stereo I connect the AVP to the straight through on my main amp and connect the rear output to a pair of active speakers (Meridian) I bought used.
I do own a centre speaker the same as the rears but can't put it in its ideal location and prefer using mine as a 4.0 system. My Sub is connected to the main system, I may try a 4.1 system by connecting the sub only to the AVP, but I haven't yet.
I only use surround for films and TV and sometimes one of the rare SACDs I have.

House de Kris

I personally never had an issue using a pre/pro for stereo sources. In fact, I survived for YEARS with a pre/pro listening in stereo before adding rear channels for surround. Tetra-amped in the front, bi-amped in the rear. I still listen to this system primarily from two channel sources, just don't turn on the rear amps.

Just build the system with 2-ch as the priority.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks, this is an interesting bit of kit and at a reasonable price. My Rega Jura speakers are bi-wireable, but I don't really see how I would get any benefit, given that the connection to each amp is a single wire (if indeed there is any benefit to a bi-wire setup). Also, my Onkyo AV Amp (TX-SR608) supports the use of spare channels to bi-amp the front speakers. I'm keen to try this out, but probably wouldn't bother if i'd loose the capability when introducing the amp switch - I wonder if there are any bi-amp speaker switches out there? (at a reasonable cost).

This is the switch i've been considering: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0047N09K2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A2OXE6TUF4TIAU&psc=1

I think the Dynavox might look a bit nicer next to my 2-channel amp which is an Onix OA21s like this one.

carlob

Forum Donor
I just use it with two amps and a pair of speakers, but in the past I used it as a speaker selector (one amp and two pairs of speakers) or as an amp and speaker selector (two amps, two pair of speakers). Anyways it works as expected.

carlob

Forum Donor
btw if you are willing to diy you could make a much better one using relays and not switches

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am currently using a Benchmark LA4 with one input from the Oppo 205 DAC (2-channel) and the other from the XMC-1 processor (HT).
The LA4 is a bit tricky to setup but with the help of support, I can automate selecting between XLR inputs using my Pronto remote.
For 2-channel, I use Roon running on a Brix I3 with USB out to the Oppo USB DAC input. I also have J River and both have iPad apps.

The LA4 is a bit tricky to setup but with the help of support, I can automate selecting between XLR inputs using my Pronto remote.
This is overkill because the XMC-1 has a pure analog path from their XLR inputs called Reference Stereo that is very good.
Unless the AVR/AVP expressly states that they don't digitize, there is no way to know for sure. Simply having a Pure Direct mode is not guaranteed.

- Rich

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To the OP, my solution was to use an AV pre/pro, a quality amp and speakers front left and right with powered speakers for center, surrounds and subs. So I've pretty good stuff for stereo, and good surround. I do just switch to stereo mode via the Marantz pre/pro. The Marantz is the bottle neck on performance, but if you want it to be usable by someone else it is among the more convenient solutions.

I'd also suggest buying one 3 or so years old where you can get a great discount of 50 to 70% vs original pricing. You lose out on the very latest version or two of advanced surround formats, but the availability of those in media lags their introduction by that much anyway.

If you were to do this, you could have a quality line level selector which switches line inputs. One uses what comes from the pre/pro for front left and right for movies, and the other uses line level from another source like a good DAC. That way your pre/pro isn't a bottle neck for stereo. Much simpler than speaker switching.

This way the only part you might periodically change out is the pre/pro, speakers, amps etc aren't something you need to change very often.

Top Bottom