• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Combine DAC and Audio Interface

dipaper

I already have DAC + Amp (Topping D90se, Topping a90) setup for music listening.
Now I want to buy audio interface for playing guitar and using XLR Microphone.

So,
Do I need audio interface or something different?
What audio interface should I buy for combine it with my setup?

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, you need a audio interface. Budget?
One box solution: Sell the topping equipment and get a RME ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition
Second solution: Sell the D90se and get a MOTU M4.

Please describe what gear you have. Speakers, headphones etc.

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
One box solution: Sell the topping equipment and get a RME ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition

Only issue is that the RME will not satisfy his need for mic in as there are no mic pres so there would need to be another device for that anyway. A lot simpler just to add the MOTU even though all its other features will be redundant. There are really no comparable/better audio interfaces until around $1000-2000 range that have been measured or justified in their cost. And even those expensive ones are only marginally better and in some cases worse. RME Babyface Pro FS is a good product but 4-5x the cost of the MOTU.

@IVX Maybe E1DA should make a low-cost USB-C microphone/phantom power version of his cosmos Cosmos ADC :)

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Right, forgot about the mic.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Use a audio interface with SPDIF out and connect it to your topping DAC so you can still use it.
maybe audient id22 but you need to check it it can do spdif over toslink or only ADAT

Eurasian

Forum Donor
I already have DAC + Amp (Topping D90se, Topping a90) setup for music listening.
Now I want to buy audio interface for playing guitar and using XLR Microphone.

So,
Do I need audio interface or something different?
What audio interface should I buy for combine it with my setup?
The Babyface is an excellent solution. Love the Borzoi pic!

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Use a audio interface with SPDIF out and connect it to your topping DAC so you can still use it.
maybe audient id22 but you need to check it it can do spdif over toslink or only ADAT
Why? There wont be any audible difference between the Topping DAC and the MOTU M4/M2.
Without more info from OP it's hard to give more advice.

I would connect it like this: PC -> USB C -> MOTU M4 -> Bal connection -> A90

Lambda

Major Contributor
Why? There wont be any audible difference between the Topping DAC and the MOTU M4/M2.
Then why have the Topping DAC in the first pace?
My assumption is if someone has 800€ DAC that's actually better he might as well use for all his D to A needs.

Also its the A90 has only one balanced input. and connecting tow devices to both having USB and a ground return over USB is asking for ground loop problems.

Edit:
M Audio c600 has nice inputs and SPDIF in out
it has a DSP mixer and effects and and can be bought used for < 100$

if price is not the issu focusrite clarett 4i4

Last edited:
OP
dipaper

dipaper

Budget up to 1000$, if it matters for my purposes.
Now I only have sennheiser hd 650, but plans to buy good speakers and maybe better headphones.
I think better to keep my topping equipment and just add something good for recording.

What are the benefits of connecting through SPDIF, over separate connection to PC?

Lambda

Major Contributor
What are the benefits of connecting through SPDIF, over separate connection to PC?
You can do booth but if you connect your topping DAC via SPDIF/TOSLINK/AES to an interface (with DSP) you can uses your High end setup as an extra output of your recording setup.

This gives you lower latency and ensures the clocks stay in sync.
Low latency is Importend if you want to monitor yourself with headphones while recording.

And no ground loops!

And since its looks like your already going the "no compromises" best quality way with your playback system i would maybe not buy a chap low end interface thats can’t be connected to your existing DAC.
If you have the best DAC money can buy why not uses it.

If you just want a stand alone recording setup use the Motu M4 stand alone but it would not relay combine with your setup.

In your Price range have a look at:

RME Fireface UCX II​

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core​

Antelope Zen Go Mic Set​

MOTU UltraLite mk5​

RME Babyface Pro FS​

LuminousMoth

Hi all!

I just bought a topping L50 and E50 dac & amp to improve on the playback sound I was getting from my Antelope discrete 8 (non-synergy core), and while I am very happy with my decision I haven't found a way to connect my audio interface with the E50 dac... I am using an optical ADAT cable to connect them together, but no luck. I am guessing I have to mess around with the settings of my audio interface but no matter what I try it doesn't work. Anyone has more knowledge on this? or should I try contacting Antelope themselves?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I am using an optical ADAT cable to connect them together,
There's your problem. SPDIF is SPDIF and ADAT is ADAT, even if they may be using the same cable, and this interface only has ADAT optical I/O. Get a video RCA coax cable and connect the SPDIF output to COAX in instead.

You can just run some of the existing line-outs into the L50's balanced TRS inputs, too. The output specs for this interface suggest that it is anything but a slouch, so should not require an external DAC unless defective.

Top Bottom