• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Colored sound of headphones, T70 and Beyerdynamic?

Incantator

Hello, a few months ago I've been looking for a closed headphone to be used in my office, and while searching I found several sources indicating that Beyerdynamic T70 has one of the most 'uncolored' sound:

T70 - One of the 3 Gems of the Headphone World

Sennheiser vs. Beyerdynamic

T70 earpad problems

So here is how the story goes; the only headphone I had was DT990 with some EQ tuning (apart from the irredeemable Superlux HD681), and at that time I couldn't tell much difference between Sennheiser vs. DT1990 vs. T1, even though I could feel that HD6XX series sound somewhat muffled. Now I was able to get a secondhand T70 for a mere $160. At first, it was quite boring and monotonous even with switching the earpads to C-ONE earpads. BUT after 2 weeks, I became capable of telling the difference of each and every headphone very clearly, that is, which headphone sounds muffled or emphasizes which part etc. Especially I could finally understand why T1 was 'better' in terms of cleanness of the sound compared to DT 1990, the thought which I couldn't even conceive when I only had DT990.

My question is, what is this factor called that creates clean and not muffled sound? Some articles say its 'coloration', but when I searched the term I found other people using it for slightly different meaning, and it even seemed like there is no agreed method of measuring the 'coloration'. I would also like to hear some explanation about this phenomenon and whether you agree with it; at least for me, it was such a huge enlightenment on my side and even though I cannot point to the exact reasons behind this, at least I can say that at least one headphone with small 'coloration' factor is a must-have for everybody.

I'd appreciate any deep knowledge behind this.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Generally, headphones that sound muffled or veiled to me have a dip in the frequency response around 1-3 KHz. This can help them sound smoother but hurts clarity.

headwhacker

Forum Donor
emphasis or elevated response in treble/high mids creates the perception of clear details. But for some it's brightness. If you play with EQ you can make one headphone sound similar to another.

Top Bottom