• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Vuki

My wife makes it!! She is Italian. She uses a local roast called Rise Up that is made on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I don't mess with the coffee maker myself, except to sometimes yell at it when it is out of coffee.

She makes some of the best coffee I have ever had outside of Austria. For some reason those Austrians OWN coffee making. I am told it was the Turkish influence during the Hapsburg reign, but I have no care to find out the truth.
No offense, but Austrian coffee... kleiner Brauner? :D
Of course - Austrian Kaffeehaus is something else!

Last edited:

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Also, an espresso shot (I normally use the purple Peet’s Nespresso capsules) poured over a 150mL can of Fevertree tonic is the perfect afternoon worktail.

The wife loves espresso tonic's, it might be why she finally agreed that I can get a machine. I need to do that before she forgets.

mansr

Major Contributor
Anyone like cold brew? (No I'm not talking about iced coffee or cold coffee).

Makes heat produced coffee taste like bitter/leftover acidic garbage in my mouth by comparison (Unless you drench it with sugar/cream/milk/etc..)
I like it bitter. If I didn't, I'd drink something else.

chris719

Coffee contains significant amounts of acrylamide, a known carcinogen. I'd avoided it in any form...

Coffee also contains lots of other compounds, some of which are beneficial and have anti-cancer effects. Most recent studies show overall health benefits from moderate consumption. It's quite possible that the good outweighs the bad from acrylamide.

I think toast also has acrylamide. Do you avoid everything that's brown?

chris719

I use a the toddy brewing system for making cold brew in the summer for iced coffee purposes.

Toddy Cold Brew System, 1 EA https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0006H0JVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CTF5SGFMBAKCWASHYDJG

If you like low-acidity in your coffee, I recommend you try the Monsoon Medley from Josuma. https://josuma.com/monsoon-medley/
It's a dark roast but not bitter at all. It's not my favorite style, but it is not very bitter at all. It sort of makes hot coffee that tastes like cold brew. I've never really had any other type of coffee that is like that.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
She makes some of the best coffee I have ever had outside of Austria. For some reason those Austrians OWN coffee making. I am told it was the Turkish influence during the Hapsburg reign, but I have no care to find out the truth.

While part of it is the Alpine tap water, a lot of it this: https://shop.meinl.com/default/#NA.
Maybe it’s hometown bias - my mom is Austrian, I’ve visited frequently since childhood, and have very fond memories from living in Vienna for a time in my early 20s - but I’ve always thought the hype about Italian coffee was a little manufactured. Austria doesn’t seem to crave the world’s praise as Italy does. Alas, that insularity also made Austria the first Western country to relapse into rechts-extremismus barbarism after the Cold War. Ironically, the long time head of FPÖ, Austria’s big neo-Nazi party, FPÖ, had a decidedly Arabic last name. So presumably he had Turkish ancestry.

OP
S

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Also, an espresso shot (I normally use the purple Peet’s Nespresso capsules) poured over a 150mL can of Fevertree tonic is the perfect afternoon worktail.
Hmmm.... now that's something I had never heard of with coffee. Going to have to try this out, need tonic water first.

Nemo

Forum Donor
Anyone like cold brew? (No I'm not talking about iced coffee or cold coffee).

Makes heat produced coffee taste like bitter/leftover acidic garbage in my mouth by comparison (Unless you drench it with sugar/cream/milk/etc..)

I got hooked to coffee in college, but not for the caffeine rush: it was the social aspect of meeting friends over coffee that won me over. Naturally it wasn't long before we started trying different cafes, and discussed the merits of different beans, brews, etc.

Lattes or Flat Whites are my drink of choice when I am at a coffee bar, but at home we use these two Australian contraptions:
Delter Coffee Press (think advance Aeropress with more control and consistency) in the morning using a metal filter and finely grounded Light Roasted beans, like our current favorite: Cafe Kreyole Ramirez Estate Microlot Red Honey Not expensive, socially responsible, and great flavor. The photo is from the same roaster but different beans

IMG_20201008_092628.jpg

I normally have just one, but my lovely partner enjoys a second morning cup about every other day. I tend to have an afternoon cup brewed using the Delter Cold Drip Coffee Maker with the same beans but grounded coarse with our Capresso 560.04 Burr Grinder. The afternoon coffee taste sweeter and less acidic, but not by a huge margin. I am still fine-tuning the cold-brew recipe, but I enjoy having an alternative brewing method.

Exploring new coffee bars is one of my favorite things to do, and it is frankly cheap compared with most other things we like doing!

Sugarbubble

Yes. Sacher. Oops. After working at the IAEA for three years I should have spelled it correctly! The recipe they use is two shots espresso and an equal amount of frothed cream. Love it. Still have it at home but it’s not the same somehow.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Typical poor quality journalism. As a life long scientist I really hate how poorly informed people are. This type of journalism is pure for profit drivel. Read Scientific American and Nature to see a mix of science and journalism done right.

I didn't see anything in the article that conflicts with scientific studies on this topic that I am familiar with.

What are your concerns?

Sugarbubble

It is a cobbled together re-reporting of other news columns that are themselves re-reports, etc. it is the worm oraborus. No science, no citations, just another piece to get a paycheck. this type of journalism became common about 15 years ago as the internet started pressuring news papers to write ever more sensational stories with ever decreasing editorial oversight. Today I find the WSJ as the last bastion of careful newspaper reporting on matters of science. Nature and scientific American are affordable magazines that are accessibly written and that are not selling sensationalism. I would wager that this author has written similar articles on any number of fauna that we humans depend on, all without caring if it deceives or enlightens.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Typical poor quality journalism. As a life long scientist I really hate how poorly informed people are. This type of journalism is pure for profit drivel. Read Scientific American and Nature to see a mix of science and journalism done right.

You do realize you’re bitching about professors talking on a university podcast, right? So basically all of your claims (“journalism,” “for profit” etc) are facially incorrect.

Sugarbubble

oh, and that the article is reporting on a podcast makes it better somehow? The university press isn’t for profit? That will come as news to them. The fact remains that the article is a rehash of commonly held beliefs and does not represent the level of scientific reporting that is represented by the publications I mentioned, Does it offend you? Is this not a science based forum? Get your science reporting from recognized high quality sources and you will be glad You did.

Top Bottom