• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Asylum Seeker

Moka pot with Robusta beans ($5 for 250 grams)

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Learned to drink coffee in college as it was either coffee, or RC cola in the cafeteria.
Several careers, but somehow my desk was within feet of the coffee mess every time. So, 45 years of "mud" within reach. I know I am addicted to caffeine, as if I miss my morning coffee, I get a headache by mid-day. Every time. I can drink a cup with a slice of apple pie ( what else would you drink?) and go right to sleep.

I do not believe in polluting good coffee. If it is so bad you half to add milk, sugar, caramel, spices and junk, just get better coffee. Some of what I see served is more like coco with a touch of coffee flavor. No thanks.

Yes, better coffee is good. I had a K-cup machine for a while, but being retired on a negative income, the cost was not worth it. ( 2 cups every morning), so back to plain old Folgers dark roasts. The saved funds go to the one really nice ale or porter I have in the evening.

I will say, maybe it was the day, but the very finest cup of coffee I ever had was at a Broken Egg in Durham.

jrampoldi

IMG_0561.jpeg

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Link to my Clever brewing cup.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Any experience with these swirl action, bar coded pods?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/nespr...entrifusion-provide-an-amazing-cup-of-coffee/

I need to get caffeinated BEFORE I have the ability to make coffee the old-fashioned way...

Have you considered one of the many "bean to cup" machines?

They're about a simple as it gets without being restricted to pods, put the beans in a hopper, fill a tank with water, press the button, coffee comes out.

I have one like this: https://www.delonghi.com/en-gb/esam4200-s-ex:1-magnifica-automatic-coffee-maker/p/ESAM4200.S+EX:1

I drink 4 or 5 cups a day, it's about 10 years old and still going strong.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
I start my morning with a hotel filter dripper, very tasty strong i use a mokka blend in this :
metalen koffie filter.JPG

Second & Third cup from an espresso machine, espresso roasted coffee preferable Kenia brand beans:
Mandine.jpeg

For visitors a conventional coffee dripper with integrated grinder, also use mokka beans in the grinder :
Philips met molen.jpg

When lazy a tradional Senseo machine with senseo Strong pads. :
Senseo philips.jpg

On average i take approx 8 cups a day.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you considered one of the many "bean to cup" machines?

They're about a simple as it gets without being restricted to pods, put the beans in a hopper, fill a tank with water, press the button, coffee comes out.

I have one like this: https://www.delonghi.com/en-gb/esam4200-s-ex:1-magnifica-automatic-coffee-maker/p/ESAM4200.S+EX:1

I drink 4 or 5 cups a day, it's about 10 years old and still going strong.

I need a latte. Using a Keurig thing now. I get it ready the night before, and have automated my cerebellum to mechanically get the milk cup out of the fridge, push the froth button, then push the other buttons and pull the lever down in the right sequence for the espresso...

esm

Forum Donor
I finally broke down and bought a Breville Bambino Plus when I saw them go on sale a while back:
breville-bambino-plus.jpg

I'd read the gushing review that Wirecutter did of it, but I tend to take that sort of thing with a grain of salt; after showing the specs to a few barista friends and hearing plenty of "huh, that's actually surprisingly good" remarks, I finally pulled the trigger. It's remarkable how well this thing works for being so tiny (counter space is at a premium in my kitchen, so I literally can't fit anything larger).

I'm still getting the hang of it (particularly the foamer, I will not be winning any latte art competitions any time soon), but this has definitely felt like one of my better 2020 investments.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I need a latte. Using a Keurig thing now. I get it ready the night before, and have automated my cerebellum to mechanically get the milk cup out of the fridge, push the froth button, then push the other buttons and pull the lever down in the right sequence for the espresso...

Ah, I only ever drink black coffee, so I've never messed with the steamer/frother thing. I'd happily buy a coffee machine without one, but it seems they don't exist; in much the same way as I can't buy a smart phone without a selfie camera that I'll never use. :oops:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh Lawd where do I even begin. I brew so many different ways depending on the mood and the day.
Usual weekday it's Nespresso Coffee pods or Keurig depending on the kind of coffee.
Weekend: Pour over drip from fresh ground coffee (measured from start to finish)
Afternoon Pick me up if I'm home: Moka pot (Lavazza espresso, imported kind only from Italy)
Oh and I'm waiting on a Siphon system that I've ordered to arrive.
Also am a barista for the wife, who prefers I make her cappuccino or latte based on her preference for the day.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Aren`t the Brazilian beans a lil bit bitter?
All beans have some bitterness in them - part of what makes coffee coffee. Pulling a short shot (ristretto) helps ensure not too much of this bitterness makes it into the cup.

With that said, I find many Colombian beans more bitter than these Brazilian beans I use.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At home, we use a glass-carafe Moccamaster for drip coffee, and usually feed it Julius Meinl beans. Direct import from Vienna is surprisingly reasonable. We also have a Chemex, but since we replaced our old coffee maker with the Moccamaster it has gathered dust. The Fellow Stagg induction kettle is pretty much just there to look pretty and heat water for baby formula now.

In the summer we'll make cold brew with an OXO contraption. The cheap Trader Joe's medium blend works as well as anything else for cold brew.

Additionally, we've had one of those Breville Nespresso machines with a frother for a while. Some people look down on Nespresso, but I think they're pretty good, and most importantly fast. A great barista will consistently pull better shots, but not when I'm bleary eyed and making baby formula at the ass crack of dawn. We usually stock up on the multipack of Peet's pods at Costco, or buy the real ones. All of the other non-Nespresso brand pods we've tried have been hot garbage.

I'll probably pick up a Nespresso for my office if they don't turn the hot water machines back on (Covid casualty) by the time I go back more-or-less full time. My wife's had one in her clinic office for a few years now.

My travel (sigh) kit includes an Aeropress.

Top Bottom