• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Re: Baskets, I use a VST 18g
I could've gone with VST basket and almost did, but they were actually more difficult to procure... (Amazon for everything I ordered vs starting a new account and paying additional shipping charges for it. *shrugs). ;)

I will say after several days usage, what I am noticing with the new Shower Screen is that my puck is properly hydrated. I see no more instances of dry pockets inside when I break it up, or conversely no signs of channeling in the puck itself. This would definitely support my claim of having a richer extraction.

Strangely, I've been slowly coarsening my grind as the extraction has been slower (yield to time) where I had been hitting roughly 14g out in 30 sec as my ideal but am only getting 10-12 in about 33 sec now. (That last time is even a bit optimistic, but I have had some consistently sweet 8-10 g shots at 36 sec! Shouldn't be right ;) , but really lush and balanced extractions.)
Anyway... Espresso is always an adventure. :)

dfuller

Major Contributor
I could've gone with VST basket and almost did, but they were actually more difficult to procure... (Amazon for everything I ordered vs starting a new account and paying additional shipping charges for it. *shrugs). ;)

I will say after several days usage, what I am noticing with the new Shower Screen is that my puck is properly hydrated. I see no more instances of dry pockets inside when I break it up, or conversely no signs of channeling in the puck itself. This would definitely support my claim of having a richer extraction.

Strangely, I've been slowly coarsening my grind as the extraction has been slower (yield to time) where I had been hitting roughly 14g out in 30 sec as my ideal but am only getting 10-12 in about 33 sec now. (That last time is even a bit optimistic, but I have had some consistently sweet 8-10 g shots at 36 sec! Shouldn't be right ;) , but really lush and balanced extractions.)
Anyway... Espresso is always an adventure. :)
21:14? Damn, that's one hell of a ristretto. I'm doing about 18:30 with my current coffee.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
202209_ECMmachineCockpit..jpg

She be perty!

ELberto

Forum Donor
Bianca has been on the counter in my kitchen for about 9 months now- pretty as can be :)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just saw an email earlier of 1st Line Equipment offering the Flow Control Upgrade if you buy either of the ECM machines.
I still have eyes for the Lelit Bianca. ;)
These things seem just too complex, intricate and possibly a maintenance nightmare... yet simple in the mornings.
Few movies have shown them as being that 'one-button-press-and-sip' simple.
We will be sticking with our LaPavoni Stradivari morning ritual that I have finally mastered; after 20months of daily usage.
Makes us put a :D on our morning mugs!

hoppy IPA

Can't believe this video I made is from 12 years ago.. Anyways, it's my old Compak K10 68mm conical & La Marzocco GS/3 paddle:

I've had a few other machines but here's a clip of a shot pulled on the sorta current kit. Kafatek Monolith Conical (running Dennis' Flat now) & ECM Synchronica plumbed in/out:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Going deep...
I just ordered new conical burrs to change out existing on my ~2.5yr old grinder and new pump for the 4yr old espresso machine.

Local repair services are telling me I could be without my machine for over a month if leave it in their shop, or that they will bump a more expensive in-home service call for any commercial client... :rolleyes:

To be fair, I am seeing some minor clumping on my grind, but that aside it looks pretty good overall. The pump is a little more of a challenge in diagnosis as it does pump water through my machine...

I have been seeing some inconsistencies in extraction yield that just aren't making sense. While it could be a grinder issue, not everybody agrees. So both will get did! ;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just ordered new conical burrs to change out existing on my ~2.5yr old grinder and...
Oh, Oh! You are scaring me @ryanosaur!
Are you saying that the burrs will require replacement (due to wear) in such short time.
I don't know if there are any differences (for wear) between the conicals and the flat (mine) versions.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you saying that the burrs will require replacement (due to wear) in such short time.
I don't know if there are any differences (for wear) between the conicals and the flat (mine) versions.
Try to find the duty cycle for your specific burrs, it should be specified in weight of coffee. When you have that estimate your usage and then calc the expected life, it's probably a long time.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Try to find the duty cycle for your specific burrs, it should be specified in weight of coffee. When you have that estimate your usage and then calc the expected life, it's probably a long time.
Believe me when I say I'm not just doing it because I want to. :)
I talked to a guy from the shop where I bought my Lelit Grinders. He somewhat begrudgingly did the math... something I didn't know existed yesterday!
The biggest concern he voiced in our discussion was if there was a small stone or stick that got through QC and could have damaged them, but after he did some math, he suggested I was right around the point of considering new burrs.
Apparently, lighter roasts (which I do use a light-espresso roast) are harder on burrs than darker roasts. Also at 20 g doses up to 5x a day... it adds up.

Anyway, I'm also getting a pressure gauge I can fit to my "spouted" portafilter, so after I do the pump, I can make certain my pressure is correct, too.

These are the variables that have come up in several conversations with disinterested service techs and coffee shop reps. Nobody is trying to sell me new gear, thankfully. I really don't need to try to want $3000 machine! :p

Pump from Amazon is under $30.
Burrs are under $50.

The pressure gauge is $40.

I'm also going to descale for the first time. I've exclusively used RO water for 4 years, but I know it can still have some mineral content. Boiler temp doesn't seem to be an issue, though.

I will add, regarding the Burr conversation, it had been suggested that more expensive machines will likely have a higher duty cycle on their burrs. My grinder is in the $300 range. Dude suggested when you get to the next level ($600-800) you get longer life. That was the closest to a sales pitch I had. *shrugs

2 of these Lelit Grinders over 12 years, though... other than the noise, they've been really respectable machines.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try to find the duty cycle for your specific burrs,
Me be too lazy... got a link?
I have 20 months of daily use (3 x 16.5gm shots per day). flat burrs and I notice that grind takes about 15% longer for each of the 3 double-shots I pull daily.
Is that the reason? (burrs are getting dull?)
I'm also going to descale for the first time.
@SIY says they do it often (I forget how "often" he had said but sounded cruel and unusual punishment).
I have done it four times in those 20 months of owning a lever machine. It comes out shiny...;) but not sure if descaling is detrimental to the insides (copper and ss).

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Me be too lazy... got a link?
I have 20 months of daily use (3 x 16.5gm shots per day). flat burrs and I notice that grind takes about 15% longer for each of the 3 double-shots I pull daily.
Is that the reason? (burrs are getting dull?)

@SIY says they do it often (I forget how "often" he had said but sounded cruel and unusual punishment).
I have done it four times in those 20 months of owning a lever machine. It comes out shiny...;) but not sure if descaling is detrimental to the insides (copper and ss).
This is the product I am using:
Combination of Citric and Sulfamic Acids. Should not injure any common espresso machine parts (brass, steel, copper, plastics, etc.

Word I've been seeing is that every 1-3 months is recommended depending on usage and water quality.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Going deep...
I just ordered new conical burrs to change out existing on my ~2.5yr old grinder and new pump for the 4yr old espresso machine.

Local repair services are telling me I could be without my machine for over a month if leave it in their shop, or that they will bump a more expensive in-home service call for any commercial client... :rolleyes:

To be fair, I am seeing some minor clumping on my grind, but that aside it looks pretty good overall. The pump is a little more of a challenge in diagnosis as it does pump water through my machine...

I have been seeing some inconsistencies in extraction yield that just aren't making sense. While it could be a grinder issue, not everybody agrees. So both will get did! ;)

2.5 years seems a little premature:

1664221001544.png

I think my Niche grinder uses 63mm Mazzer Kony connical burrs. If that's correct, then that's roughly 745Kg of coffee.

745,000g / 15g = 49,666 doses

49,666 / 4 cups a day = 12,416 days, or 34 years.

I sometimes have more than 4 cups and I sometimes uee a larger 20g dose, so let's say 30 years to be on the safe side. :)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I sometimes have more than 4 cups and I sometimes use a larger 20g dose, so let's say 30 years to be on the safe side. :)
You must race-like-a-p*ss-horse!;)
Daaaang! You mean to tell me that the spare set of burrs (50mm flat) I added to the initial order was a wa$te?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor

View attachment 233424

I think my Niche grinder uses 63mm Mazzer Kony connical burrs. If that's correct, then that's roughly 745Kg of coffee.

745,000g / 15g = 49,666 doses

49,666 / 4 cups a day = 12,416 days, or 34 years.

I sometimes have more than 4 cups and I sometimes uee a larger 20g dose, so let's say 30 years to be on the safe side. :)
I got an email back from the tech that wrote my problem off as a grind issue... I clarified the age of my grinder and he said it likely isn't the problem.

Now, to be honest, the first 2 years of use hadn't seen much regular cleaning. It was always sporadic at best.

Erring on a conservative throughput, my usage rate would indicate a 16yr lifespan for the burrs.

Since I am having some issue with brew consistency, and it is possible they could be damaged, I'm gonna switch them out. I am also taking more regular and deliberate care of my equipment, so this will be a nice little reset with the grinder.

(The pump and pressure is where my guess is for the inconsistencies I'm seeing. There are times when the pump sounds like its simply not well. So I'm gonna put my DIY skills to the task and, having spent a little over $100 on parts, refresh the gear and save on not having some other human do the work.)

(Moral of the story for the local shops: don't have a business where you turn work away!)

***Just found a suggestion that these stainless Burrs, 38mmØ, are maybe 400-600 ponds throughput... which would still be about 7.5 yrs for me. ;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My lever machine and the burr-grinder seem to be holding together but I do break a lot of glassware.
I finally lucked into these Aussie-made Avanti 250mL BoroSilicate double-wall cups.
202209_Avanti250mlBoroSil.jpg

They have the similar 'emotion-arousal qualities' to drink from, like some audiophiles get from listening to tube audio gear.:facepalm:
Add a lid like this:
202209_AvantiCupLid.jpg

And chicks dig it... even if you pull bad shots!:)

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I thought I'd look up the price for replacement burrs for my grinder:

1664233284867.png

That's nearly a third the price of the whole grinder, so I'm pleased they last as long as they do.

Regards cleaning, I just give the outside of grinder a wipe with a damp cloth now and then, it's a single dose, low retention design, so I figure that new coffee will constantly be flushing out anything that remains of the previous grind.

I live in a very hard water area, so I descale the machine once a month and I back flush and clean the shower screen and baskets with Cafiza once a week: https://urnex.co.uk/products/cafiza2-900g-espresso-machine-cleaning-powder

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I’m gonna start doing urnex grindz monthly. Cafiza is monthly.
Unless I see signs of gunk in my pump, I’m gonna do Dezcal quarterly is my plan.

I don’t steam on this machine, but if I did, I would do Rinza daily. Letting milk residue sit in the wand is just gross. That’s my professional opinion as an Executive Chef. ;)

Top Bottom