• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...but I don't respond well to caffeine. I don't like the buzz and I don't like the withdrawal. Love the taste of coffee though!
Sounds like what you need is the equivalent of "Lactose-Free" miracle applied for those who love the taste of milk but hate the side effects (e.g. flatulence, etc...).:cool:
Not 'decaf'.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I think you forgot to put the KopheePhool warning in your link:;)
View attachment 207029
God, I would never pay that much for Peet's. That's insane. Very good quality specialty is cheaper than that for 2 pounds (I just checked - George Howell's La Soledad Guatemala is $48 for 2 pounds and is far and way better quality).

Raindog123

Major Contributor
"On 6 June 2022, Google commemorated Angelo Moriondo with a doodle on his 171st birthday".

coffee.png

[Angelo Moriondo (6 June 1851 – 31 May 1914) was an Italian inventor usually credited for patenting the earliest known espresso machine, in 1884. His machine used a combination of steam and boiling water to efficiently brew coffee.]

Last edited:

oddsnsodds

For special occasions or a special bag of beans I get out my Bodum vacuum pot, which IMO makes an absolutely exquisite cuppa.
I had a Bodum vac pot and broke one of the pieces in my last move—absolutely the only thing I lost or broke that move.

Now I have an antique Sunbeam stainless steel vac pot which may outlast the sun.....

dfuller

Major Contributor
So I quite like the Silvia Pro. I'd buy it again. Good machine.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any drinkers of Turkish coffee here? I have the bare minimum to prepare. I've had it two or three times now and like it! Any tips on preparation? Any preferred brand of coffee? Is a Turkish coffee maker worth the money?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Thanks for the suggestion! So you have found that some brands are better at decaf than others?
Yes, the quality of the green they start with matters a lot.

movehome

I do half-caff in a french press. Used to add unsweetened almond milk but recently discovered soy milk which tastes even better and is creamier (it does have about 1g of sugar per splash though which sucks).

Half-caff is nice because I can drink as much as I want and not get any weird feeling from drinking too much caffeine.

Also it looks like some of you are up here in the pacific northwest as well. If you are ever able to get beans from Fernwood Coffee, their decaf is the best I've tried.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My favorite is fast becoming a Sumatran Mandheling Tangse Rhino. Strong but not bitter, roasted to first crack.

Rick “ground for pour overs at ‘18’ on my Baratza Encore”

FishInLA

My favorite is fast becoming a Sumatran Mandheling Tangse Rhino. Strong but not bitter, roasted to first crack.

Rick “ground for pour overs at ‘18’ on my Baratza Encore”
Sumatra Mandhelings are also my favorite, though I don't know that I've had Tangse Rhino specifically. Will seek some out!

Witterings

Just stumbled across this thread but as it's obviously full of a bunch of coffee addicts thought this might be a good place to ask :D

I'm not a massive coffe drinker but do enjoy it and if in a cafe in the UK normally ask for a Cappuccino or falt White and Occasionally a Latte and at home just drink instant.

I recently went to Seville in Spain and the coffee was in a totally different league, would anybody have any idea what it was or how they might make it, their worst was better then the best here and really quite "different" .... I only ever asked for a coffee and nothing specific.

Really this is more of a US thread but just thought with a bunch of caffeine junkies ferquenting it, on the off chance someone may know.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Just stumbled across this thread but as it's obviously full of a bunch of coffee addicts thought this might be a good place to ask :D

I'm not a massive coffe drinker but do enjoy it and if in a cafe in the UK normally ask for a Cappuccino or falt White and Occasionally a Latte and at home just drink instant.

I recently went to Seville in Spain and the coffee was in a totally different league, would anybody have any idea what it was or how they might make it, their worst was better then the best here and really quite "different" .... I only ever asked for a coffee and nothing specific.

Really this is more of a US thread but just thought with a bunch of caffeine junkies ferquenting it, on the off chance someone may know.
Last I checked, Spanish coffee culture is fairly Italian influenced, so you'll see a fair amount of strong, small coffees (either moka pot or espresso).

Cafe Solo (black coffee, an espresso essentially), Cortado (roughly equal parts steamed milk and coffee), or Cafe con Leche (moral equivalent of a flat white or cappuccino) are the most common, though there is also the Leche Manchado, more like a latte. There's also the "Spanish Latte", which is made with sweetened condensed milk.

The Spanish also tend to like very dark roasted coffee from what I gather, rather like the southern Italians.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If coffee sits in a sealed plastic container for 2-3 months untouched does it go mouldy etc?

dfuller

Major Contributor
If coffee sits in a sealed plastic container for 2-3 months untouched does it go mouldy etc?
Moldy, no. Stale, probably.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Moldy, no. Stale, probably.
Well ima about to test drive it. Been drinking cold beverages for months but today I just can't keep my eyes open so it's coffee time. Soon I'll be talking fast and in quantity. :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it lost some flavor potency. It doesn't have the flavor that I remember from this specific bean.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Plastic isn't the best for keeping coffee, so it's possible it will go s little stale. If long term storage is something because you don't use it fast enough, pick up an airtight steel can with locking lid like this or similar. It doesn't have to be the $30-40 fancy kind... just something airtight. Nice to have a function for releasing the CO2, though.

Top Bottom