• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First requirement is pulverizing the coffee beans beyond an 'espresso grind' << Think 'talcum powder' consistency!
I made the mistake of putting a spoonful or two in a Melitta pour over paper filter. After about ten minutes it had turned to liquid sludge, and nothing was dripping. Then, I read the directions, and found that you had to boil the damned stuff... several times!

image.jpg

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I made the mistake of putting a spoonful or two in a Melitta pour over paper filter. After about ten minutes it had turned to liquid sludge, and nothing was dripping. Then, I read the directions, and found that you had to boil the damned stuff... several times!

View attachment 182280
Turkish coffee is unfiltered. But it has to be ground so fine that when you drink it, it's not gritty. They make it in small copper pots over the heat and pour it straight into the cup.

My barber is Turkish and we talk about coffee from time to time. I need to let him make me some (he offers it routinely with me, but I've been a customer for 22 years). He uses a hand grinder--only a few power grinders can get a fine enough grind--it has to be finer than espresso.

Rick "not finding it appealing on the face of it, but may feel adventurous at some point" Denney

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I've only had Turkish coffee once or twice, while I was on a short visit to Istanbul. I didn't dislike it, but my first choice would still be espresso.

This morning, I've been messing about with an AeroPress. I've had it a while, and using the paper filters, I wasn't particularly impressed, so I thought I'd try one of the metal filters: https://www.aeropress.co.uk/collect...-super-fine-aeropress-compatible-metal-filter

1643297609637.png

I still find the coffee a bit "smooth"?, it lacks the oomph of an espresso, which is probably to be expected, but I think it's an improvement on the paper filters and I like the reusable aspect of it.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I've only had Turkish coffee once or twice, while I was on a short visit to Istanbul. I didn't dislike it, but my first choice would still be espresso.

This morning, I've been messing about with an AeroPress. I've had it a while, and using the paper filters, I wasn't particularly impressed, so I thought I'd try one of the metal filters: https://www.aeropress.co.uk/collect...-super-fine-aeropress-compatible-metal-filter

View attachment 182322

I still find the coffee a bit "smooth"?, it lacks the oomph of an espresso, which is probably to be expected, but I think it's an improvement on the paper filters and I like the reusable aspect of it.
Aeropress is always going to lack the oomph of espresso because it's nowhere near as concentrated, but because it's an immersion brewer, you can let it steep for a very long time (I think Jonathan Gagne/Coffee Ad Astra does close to 10 minutes) and get pretty darn high extraction with none of the fussiness of pourover.

https://coffeeadastra.com/2021/09/07/reaching-fuller-flavor-profiles-with-the-aeropress/

Speaking of espresso, turns out my water is ludicrously soft (Boston area tap water is so soft as to be basically the equivalent of RO), so straight shots have been face-imploding levels of sour, even with relatively dark roast coffee. Added some mineral content using Third Wave Water packets, and wow - there's all that sweetness and complexity I've been missing!

When we make these to order, we use a relatively coarse grind, presoak for 30 seconds, add the rest of the water, steep for a few minutes, then press just before serving. The thing that jumps out to us is that coffee made this way has a richer texture than drip (yes, we did blind comparisons).
Paper filters are way, way better at catching fines than the mesh screen that a cafetiere uses - which explains the body. I personally like french press coffee, but usually I'll do the Hoffmann technique where you're basically brewing as though you were cupping. It's a little fussy, but it makes excellent coffee.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I have not posted on coffee in a long time. I need to update you all on my current coffee use. I am drinking the most exquisite big batch, quickly bottled and vacuum sealed Maxwell House Instant "Original Roast" coffee. But, now I have taken it up a notch. I also add in a packet of Swiss Miss low calorie (40 cal per package) to it (I'm using a very big mug, maybe 24 oz?) and the appropriate amount of extra boiling hot water. I then top it off with the "Sugar Free" Coffeemate French Vanilla liquid Creamer from the dairy aisle in the grocery store. I also add in 3 Splendas to this mix to sweeten the coffee/chocolate mix. I have to say it is MUCH cheaper than anything at Starbucks and OMG is it good. Coffee, the way it is meant to be drunk. I now leave you fine gentlemen to think about my exotic custom hand mixed drink. Don't be jealous!

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Speaking of espresso, turns out my water is ludicrously soft (Boston area tap water is so soft as to be basically the equivalent of RO), so straight shots have been face-imploding levels of sour, even with relatively dark roast coffee. Added some mineral content using Third Wave Water packets, and wow - there's all that sweetness and complexity I've been missing!
I have the opposite problem. The water in my area passes through about 50 metres of this stuff:

1643299772809.png

These are about 5 or 6 miles from my house.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not posted on coffee in a long time. I need to update you all on my current coffee use. I am drinking the most exquisite big batch, quickly bottled and vacuum sealed Maxwell House Instant "Original Roast" coffee. But, now I have taken it up a notch. I also add in a packet of Swiss Miss low calorie (40 cal per package) to it (I'm using a very big mug, maybe 24 oz?) and the appropriate amount of extra boiling hot water. I then top it off with the "Sugar Free" Coffeemate French Vanilla liquid Creamer from the dairy aisle in the grocery store. I also add in 3 Splendas to this mix to sweeten the coffee/chocolate mix. I have to say it is MUCH cheaper than anything at Starbucks and OMG is it good. Coffee, the way it meant to be drunk. I now leave you fine gentlemen to think about my exotic custom hand mixed drink. Don't be jealous!
Oh, come on, man! Conspicuous consumption! Don't you have any sensitivity to the proles here who are forced to use more plebian techniques, like making espresso in a $5000 machine after grinding it in a $1000 grinder?

Rick "could at least tolerate this wanton display of wealth until the mention of...Splenda!" Denney

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Oh, come on, man! Conspicuous consumption! Don't you have any sensitivity to the proles here who are forced to use more plebian techniques, like making espresso in a $5000 machine after grinding it in a $1000 grinder?

Rick "could at least tolerate this wanton display of wealth until the mention of...Splenda!" Denney
Yes Rick, I do spend vast sums on exotic large batch, instantly vacuum packed before any oxygen can really get to it coffee. Then I skimp for the Splenda substitute (I'm diabetic) from Publix here in Florida (their house brand). But I do admit to going whole hog and dropping the big coin on the super fancy Sugar Free French Vanilla Coffeemate Creamer. But I figure why not? I'm worth it. As a retiree I deserve it. The very low sugar Swiss Miss (only the 40 cal pack is low sugar) is the final big spend. Then boiling hot water an Voila! I have heaven in a cup. For me cost is no object when it comes to a fine cup of coffee. I'm so glad you share the same principles of coffee drinking. I figured you were smarter than the average guy! :)

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'll go with "more effective." IMO, that is not "better.":cool:
Oh, I don't think paper filters are better tasting, I think they're just better at catching fines. I drink espresso, I don't tend to use filter papers (though some people swear by putting a paper filter on the bottom of the filter basket, for some reason).

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I drink 6 to 12 cups of fresh brewed coffee a day, black. I would be interested to know if anyone else drinks that much.
Two PSAs and as short as possible.
1) Coffee is a diuretic: Replenish your internal water equilibrium before/after.
2) Do not brush your teeth, before coffee consumption.
IMHO/YMMV

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I drink 6 to 12 cups of fresh brewed coffee a day, black. I would be interested to know if anyone else drinks that much. :D

I used to pop into coffee shops for a kicker but coronavirus changed all that. :oops:
I don't drink coffee daily. I did OD on coffee though. I drank 3 expresso at ~7AM and then progressed to consume 3.5 pots over the day as we competed for who could make the strongest dark roast coffee. By 2:30PM I was a wreck. I've never felt that way before or since. My mind was racing, I had severe jitters and had difficulty sitting and standing so I was never happy with either. Never again... :D

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I don't think paper filters are better tasting, I think they're just better at catching fines.
I do, I consistently prefer percolation over immersion brews, though they are a lot trickier to get right, but get them right and you get the best of both methods.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When northerners call us "soft southerners", they're clearly not talking about the water.
Did not know uze awl across the pond are imitating us, here in US.
Is it as derogatory as it is here? Buddy had to move down to Tennessee for work. He started referencing the natives (down there) as inbred-Jeds and I had to put a stop to that insult.
Filtered water rather than tap is always a better idea for coffee prep; no matter N/E/S/;)W.

Top Bottom