• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its just a shame that you can't automate the variables away. ;) A bad Barista is still a bad Barista.
The Decent machines have profiles that attempt to do just that, they can adjust on the fly all the parameters of a shot, within the limits of what the coffee puck allows, e.g. it cannot do high pressure and low flow rate if the puck won't provide sufficient resistance, but it can drop the pressure to maintain flow rate. They are very clever, I worry they are too clever for most of us, and we will just leave it on a default profile, the lever profile is very popular for this reason.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The Decent machines have profiles that attempt to do just that, they can adjust on the fly all the parameters of a shot, within the limits of what the coffee puck allows, e.g. it cannot do high pressure and low flow rate if the puck won't provide sufficient resistance, but it can drop the pressure to maintain flow rate. They are very clever, I worry they are too clever for most of us, and we will just leave it on a default profile, the lever profile is very popular for this reason.
What's made funnier is the lever profile is not much like an actual lever - the initial water debit is far too low.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Much like cooking - the base ingredients can be used in different ways - and people who like one method may not like the other... (yes I like my steak "blue", and "well done" meat is an abomination)

So about 12 or so years ago, we went to a local Cafe, owned by a gold medal prize winning barista, who would get his preferred beans green, roast, grind and brew... etc...

We sat down, and the man himself came over to take our order.... his first question was "how do you like your coffee"

I answered in detail:
My favourite combination is Sumatran Mandheling 80% with Indian Malabar 20%
Both roasted to "City Roast" (relatively mild, mid brown roast)
Ground not too fine, and brewed in a press
Which I drink as a "long black" - with a little sugar. (the better the beans and roast, the less sugar!)

He paused, then said "you won't like my coffee". - I tried it anyway, and he was right, I didn't like his coffee.

I am not a fan of espresso styles, as the brewing method extracts too much of the bitter oils - I don't like my coffee bitter.
Same deal with Arabica vs Robusta - Arabica tends to be less bitter, as well as lower in caffeine
And again with the roasting profile - lighter roast, lets through more of the varietal flavour, and less bitterness

20 years ago, I used to roast my own beans, as finding the right beans, roasted the way I like them was difficult
I stopped doing that around 10 years ago, when I could readily find my preferred beans (or similar varietals) locally, roasted the way I like them.
I can still save a couple of bucks buying green rather than roasted... but it just isn't worth the bother.

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The best espresso coffee I've had in a small machine and in large heavy machines - the ones you see at Publix and everywhere - is LAVAZZA BLUE.
Lavazza is in the Coffee business since 1895 in Italy.

Capture d’écran 2022-10-14 à 13.33.27.png
Capture d’écran 2022-11-05 à 19.42.15.png

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
... if I had somebody else do this I'd be down close to $500. :eek:
Congrats!
On the latest news snippet front:
Meaning Although the clinical implications are unclear for relatively small observed differences, these findings suggest that small amounts of daily maternal caffeine consumption are associated with shorter stature in their offspring that persist into childhood. Link
Eeeeek!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Congrats!
On the latest news snippet front:

Eeeeek!
Studies in South American countries with a diet composed of rice and beans have also shown growth to be limited right into adulthood.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Studies in South American countries with a diet composed of rice and beans have also shown growth to be limited right into adulthood.
Combining both of our factoids makes my ancestry not from SouthAmerica and makes me incapable of given birth to any vertically-challenged offspring.:facepalm:
YMMV!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Combining both of our factoids makes my ancestry not from SouthAmerica and makes me incapable of given birth to any vertically-challenged offspring.:facepalm:
YMMV!
I thought you are a coffee aficionado. Hanging out in the coffee room @ ASR... lol.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The best espresso coffee I've had in a small machine and in large heavy machines - the ones you see at Publix and everywhere - is LAVAZZA BLUE.
Lavazza is in the Coffee business since 1895 in Italy.

View attachment 241435View attachment 241436
Where for me, bagged Lavazza beans from the supermarket are the worst coffee I've ever tried. Every now and then I try them again to be surprised (once more) at how truly awful they are. :p

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where for me, bagged Lavazza beans from the supermarket are the worst coffee I've ever tried. Every now and then I try them again to be surprised (once more) at how truly awful they are. :p
Yeah!
I have the same EXACT sentiment about LaVazza and I musta tried like 6 varieties, over the last 19 months!
LaVazza just does not work for my uneducated taste receptors!;)

nobodynoz

I'm talking about LAVAZZA BLUE + the coffee machines we have in France are made in Italy.
If you want a good coffee buy it directly from a coffee roaster and if you live in Montreal, Québec, you're lucky... when I was leaving there I used to buy my coffee beans directly from the coffee roaster : https://www.cafeagga.com and the brothers Agga became my friends.
[email protected]

Last edited:

nobodynoz

Images of my coffee machine made in Italy... and the espresso I get ...
I've work 12 years in the coffee business with a company called MALONGO... and before I was the manager of a hotel with 48 rooms facing the Mediterranean sea.

IMG-2925 2.jpg

IMG-2926.jpg

the cup is small, what you see is the bottom of the cup after I drank the coffee.
IMG-2918.jpg

above is the real size of the cup on my MacBook Air.
It's not a 100% real espresso but it's close. Every cup of coffee is the same...

Last edited:

nobodynoz

This is where I buy my coffee beans... it's a coffee roaster.
There are 12 choices but I cannot show the entire image...

IMG-2930 2.JPG

Image: my iPhone 6

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is where I buy my coffee beans... it's a coffee roaster.
There are 12 choices but I cannot put the entire image...

View attachment 242962

Here is mine - just a local deli, not as ... errr... shiny, but they have a hell of a selection, and roast at least every week

IMG_6239.jpeg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As of this posting; this opinionated tightwad refuses to pay more than $16 for 500gms of coffee beans.
Exotic brand$ don't get me hornier for caffeine!
202211_CoffeePriceBreakDown2019.jpg

Top 5 Countries That Produce the Most Coffee << Link
1. Brazil - 7.7Million pounds
2. Vietnam [Robusta?] - 4.3Million pounds
3. Colombia - 1.8Million pounds
4. Indonesia - 1.4Million pounds
5. Ethiopia - 1.0Million pounds
(*2019-2020 marketing year figures)

How to Run Your Own Coffee Shop << Link
NOT by @SIY (but some Jesse dude) 2022/03/20

nobodynoz

Capture d’écran 2022-11-14 à 14.15.33.png

Above a cup made with arabica coffee for an espresso...
I drink my espresso - a half cup - with 8 grams of coffee.... but 8 grams is for a full small cup.
I've bought a coffee spoon that gives every time 8 grams of coffee. I don't put the coffee in the cup, I put it in the red coffee machine, see above...

Last edited:

nobodynoz

In Spain where I go once a month - I live at 30 minutes from the border - they are saying that the espresso should be "amargo y escasso"... >> bitter and scanty.
Their espressos are good... In France we are saying expresso...

JaccoW

I only have a French press and a moka but lately I have been following James Hoffmann's guide to make the best moka coffee. It's an incredibly smooth taste this way and none of the bitterness. Probably some of the best coffee I've ever had.

The one I have is the stainless steel Venus moka.
bialetti-bialetti-venus-4-kops-percolator-190ml.jpg

Essentially it's this:
  1. Boiling water in separate water boiler
  2. Full basket of coffee
  3. Avoid sputtering phase by cooling down the chamber under cold water
  4. Pour and enjoy

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I only have a French press and a moka but lately I have been following James Hoffmann's guide to make the best moka coffee. It's an incredibly smooth taste this way and none of the bitterness. Probably some of the best coffee I've ever had.

The one I have is the stainless steel Venus moka.
bialetti-bialetti-venus-4-kops-percolator-190ml.jpg

Essentially it's this:
  1. Boiling water in separate water boiler
  2. Full basket of coffee
  3. Avoid sputtering phase by cooling down the chamber under cold water
  4. Pour and enjoy

I have an espresso machine, but I have also have a 6 cup version of the Bialetti Moka pot with which I make coffee, using Hoffmann's technique; I don't bother with the filter paper though.

The same beans make a very different cup of coffee in the Moka pot than in the Espresso machine so it makes for a nice alternative on occassion.

Top Bottom