• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a Mr. Coffee to brew coffee and I buy ground coffee. I do not like dark roast (burnt) coffee and I buy good coffee. I use 2 level tablespoons per 5 ounces of brewed coffee. I like Jablum Jamaican Blue Mountain and Lappert's Kona Blue Mauka. I like my coffee with heavy cream and splenda. I have always wanted to try Kopi Luwak and just bought 4 ounces of Sumatera Lintong Wild Kopi Luwak coffee to try Christmas morning.

Martin

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
Anyone ever had nitrogen infused coffee of sorts?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I used to have a copy of Netscacpe, 4.0, I think, just for checking sites.

I now have an iPhone for a similar reason.

Here's hoping that Apple goes the same way as Netscape, I'tll make my job a lot easier. :p
I am sure many iPhone fans would disagree with us, but I would not shed a tear if Apple faltered. Saying that, IOS does act as a competitor to Android forcing innovation so maybe for that reason alone we need Apple?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Anyone ever had nitrogen infused coffee of sorts?
No, but I am intrigued at the idea. I must say that to this point I don't think that I ever even heard about the practice.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I recently replaced my ageing fully automatic bean-to-cup machine with a completely manual set-up.

1639770835594.png

I'm really pleased with the results, it didn't take long to be able to consistantly make a better cup of coffee than I could get from the automatic machine and I can make a propper espresso shot when the fancy takes me. :)

1639772130536.png

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
No, but I am intrigued at the idea. I must say that to this point I don't think that I ever even heard about the practice.
You see it sometimes in certain coffee shops, where it's served basically like beer on tap. Pretty fluffy tasting. I think there's home use containers where you can infuse it yourself, but meh. It kinda reminds me of Guinness beer (and that cascading effect you see if you just watch the glass sometimes).

Been trying something silly, trying to replicate the "frothy" (actually super silky) taste. Recently got somewhere, by making [Dalgona coffee](https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/1200xn/p087xj3q.jpg) but instead of just putting the whipped coffee into the milk, I would first whip the milk too (using a frother, but if you have a steamer, that would work as well, though with a frother you could have a cold drink). After that, I add the whipped coffee, to the frothed milk, and then mix them both. Suuuuper silky tasting due to all the dissolved air from both the coffee and milk now mixed into one.

Doesn't separate for a while if you've whipped and frothed intensely enough. As a cold drink, it's insanely refreshing.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Neat idea, will try!
I use a frother on hot milk, then add choc syrup, and add coffee via the Jura (actually, coffee, stir lightly, then add 2 espressos).
Generates a nicely layered drink.
Will try frothing the coffee too (but drop the choco).
Thanks!

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you want to know everything about coffee and coffee machines , just click: HERE
The site is online since October 2000 and I know it for at least 10 years...

I really like the "Handground" Manual Coffee Grinder

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
We just got in a Ugandan single-source medium-light roast. I did a coarse grind and made myself a French press cup with it before doing the day's preps in the kitchen and WOW.

I have a new favorite.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I recently replaced my ageing fully automatic bean-to-cup machine with a completely manual set-up.

View attachment 173116

I'm really pleased with the results, it didn't take long to be able to consistantly make a better cup of coffee than I could get from the automatic machine and I can make a propper espresso shot when the fancy takes me. :)

View attachment 173118
Oo, a Niche! Very nice. Those are tricky to get one's hands on lately.

I used to have a Gaggia, the lack of temperature control and weak steaming made me sell it on. Still, definitely not a bad starter machine at all.

Actually... I just today got a new machine, a Lelit MaraX. First E61 machine I've owned, and I've got to say... I'm a fan! Also, a Baratza Vario-W...

PXL_20211223_005506136.jpg

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Oo, a Niche! Very nice. Those are tricky to get one's hands on lately.

I used to have a Gaggia, the lack of temperature control and weak steaming made me sell it on. Still, definitely not a bad starter machine at all.
It took about 6 weeks from the time of ordering for the Niche to arrive, but I'm pleased with it, it's easy to use, feels well made and it's nice and quiet - the grinder in my bean-to-cup machine made a dreadful racket and had a very unpleasant, high pitched whine in addition to the cacophony of clunks and whirs made by the rest of the mechanism.

With regard to the Gaggia, I haven't found the lack of temperature control to be an issue and I don't take milk with coffee, so I don't use the steam function.

I did look at other machines, including some with an E61 group head, but I was concerned about the long warm up time, whereas the Gaggia is pretty much ready to go by the time I've weighed and ground the beans and prepared the ground coffee in the basket.

I may try the 9 bar spring mod at some point, but I'm pretty happy with the results as it is. In addition, while I enjoy coffee and I don't mind the process of using a manual grinder and machine, I don't think I'm prepared to go to the lengths some enthusiasts go to in search of the perfect cup. :)

It took about 6 weeks from the time of ordering for the Niche to arrive, but I'm pleased with it, it's easy to use, feels well made and it's nice and quiet - the grinder in my bean-to-cup machine made a dreadful racket and had a very unpleasant, high pitched whine in addition to the cacophony of clunks and whirs made by the rest of the mechanism.

With regard to the Gaggia, I haven't found the lack of temperature control to be an issue and I don't take milk with coffee, so I don't use the steam function.

I did look at other machines, including some with an E61 group head, but I was concerned about the long warm up time, whereas the Gaggia is pretty much ready to go by the time I've weighed and ground the beans and prepared the ground coffee in the basket.

I may try the 9 bar spring mod at some point, but I'm pretty happy with the results as it is. In addition, while I enjoy coffee and I don't mind the process of using a manual grinder and machine, I don't think I'm prepared to go to the lengths some enthusiasts go to in search of the perfect cup. :)
The name "Niche" comes from "Nicholson Engineering":

An Interview With Niche

dfuller

Major Contributor
I have always wanted to try Kopi Luwak and just bought 4 ounces of Sumatera Lintong Wild Kopi Luwak coffee to try Christmas morning.
So... Did you like it? My impression is it's just gussied up low grade Robusta.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So... Did you like it? My impression is it's just gussied up low grade Robusta.

The Kopi Luwak was very good but didn’t live up to the hype. The Kona and Jamaican I buy is just as good.

Martin

JG2020

Actually... I just today got a new machine, a Lelit MaraX. First E61 machine I've owned, and I've got to say... I'm a fan!
Excellent choice - I have one for 18 mths now. I don't do expresso as such but my version of a 'flat white' I guess - 12g decaf medium roast plus 6g single origin, temp selection middle position, adjust grind for 9-10 bar, 30-35 secs aiming for yield of 40-50 g, steamed milk to taste. With the programmed pre-infusion and ramp up in this machine you can get away with just about anything.

Recommend upgrading to a precision basket (Pesado or VST) for more consistent extractions, and a naked portafilter so can check for channelling. Other reasons for inconsistent extraction can be coffee freshness (grind slightly finer as beans lose freshness), retention of stale grind in the grinder - flush and discard with small amount of fresh grind after 6 hrs, and bean distribution in the grinder - keep hopper third full for even feed pressure.

3 position temp selection on this machine - general guidelines darker roast is less dense, extracts quicker so lower temp, medium roast middle temp, lighter roast higher temp. Set temp range, then recommended starting point is 16g dose, 1:2 ratio for 32g yield (this would be a double), adjust grind for 9-10 bar 25-30 sec, and go from there.

Edit: Also recommended to do a cooling flush on the head (3 secs should do it) prior to setting the portafilter - heat exchanger machines tend to run a little hot.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Excellent choice - I have one for 18 mths now. I don't do expresso as such but my version of a 'flat white' I guess - 12g decaf medium roast plus 6g single origin, temp selection middle position, adjust grind for 9-10 bar, 30-35 secs aiming for yield of 40-50 g, steamed milk to taste. With the programmed pre-infusion and ramp up in this machine you can get away with just about anything.

Recommend upgrading to a precision basket (Pesado or VST) for more consistent extractions, and a naked portafilter so can check for channelling. Other reasons for inconsistent extraction can be coffee freshness (grind slightly finer as beans lose freshness), retention of stale grind in the grinder - flush and discard with small amount of fresh grind after 6 hrs, and bean distribution in the grinder - keep hopper third full for even feed pressure.

3 position temp selection on this machine - general guidelines darker roast is less dense, extracts quicker so lower temp, medium roast middle temp, lighter roast higher temp. Set temp range, then recommended starting point is 16g dose, 1:2 ratio for 32g yield (this would be a double), adjust grind for 9-10 bar 25-30 sec, and go from there.

Edit: Also recommended to do a cooling flush on the head (3 secs should do it) prior to setting the portafilter - heat exchanger machines tend to run a little hot.
Already on that - had a VST 18g for months now. No way could I go back to a stock basket now.

The MaraX is kind of in its own class as HX machines go - it's got a thermocouple in the thermosiphon return as well as the boiler, so it can actually maintain the brew temp pretty evenly... at least in brew priority mode! In steam priority mode it's a pretty traditional HX with the required flushing.

Darc

I drink coffee very rarely. My friends start their day with coffee and then drink a few of them throughout the day. One of them, if you don't get coffee in the morning (because, for example, someone drinks during a party), a row is guaranteed. I treat coffee as a stimulant, a bit like amphetamines (only weaker). I use coffee when I have to stay awake at night and I don't have enough strength.

I grind the beans in a hand grinder, then I brew the coffee in a tin cup. I sweeten with sugar or honey. One coffee is enough for me all night

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...dark roast makes for a strong...
I am not certain what your usage of the word "strong" really means.
Strong as in more than usual amounts of tasteS or strong as in more than the usual amount of caffeine?
There are myths regarding the caffeine-content based on the type of roast (dark/medium/light/blonde, maybe even 'brunette':rolleyes:).
The following extract (w/embedded link) may be relevant:

"Let me explain with a little experiment.
I took exactly ten grams of both a light and dark roast.
Counting the beans of each, I had sixty-five light roast beans and sixty-seven dark roast beans. Only a two bean difference, big deal, right? Well, actually yes, because if there is a two bean variance with just ten grams how many beans separate a pound of light and dark?
There is an estimated ninety bean difference between a pound of dark and light roast coffee, with the dark roast winning the count. (Don’t worry I didn’t count an entire pound to figure that out).
So, what does this mean? You should only buy dark roasts because you get more beans for your buck?
No, because volume is not everything. During the roasting process, a bean loses its mass. The density of the bean changes; beans that are roasted longer are less dense. That’s why you have more beans by mass of dark roasts. When coffee is roasted the beans lose roughly 90% of their water content.
So, how does this change a pot of coffee?
If you measure your coffee by scoops, light roasted coffee will have more caffeine. Since the beans are denser than a darker roast. However if you weigh out your scoops, darker roasts will have more caffeine, because there is less mass. What should also be noted is that Arabica beans vary in levels of caffeine depending on the plant species."

Top Bottom