• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

MRC01

Major Contributor
I've managed to reduce sugar in my cup of coffee from 6g to 3g. Now that I've been at this level for a while, I suppose I can try going even lower.

My normal cup consists of about 30g espresso shot (from 18g of beans), 60g of milk, and 30g of hot water.
Do you mean added sugar? Or sugar naturally occurring in the milk? 60g of whole milk has 3-5g of sugar.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Moka pot on the stove in the morning. Ground coffee from a shop in the nearby village. They roast the beans on site. I go for the crème d’oro. €15 a kilo. I make a cappuccino for the wife and take it to her in bed. Good way to start the day (in favour!). I’m also a big fan of caffè corretto con la sambuca. It is generally my desert after a restaurant meal.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine is quad (2x16gm medium-roast espresso) shots @72gm, with 16gm of steamed milk and 1/2 teason sugar in the raw!
Now that I write it; it sounds disgusting but certainly beats the dishwater tasting of the same drink at a *$s!:eek:

gvl

Major Contributor
Anyone tried adding salt to coffee?

I haven't tried adding salt directly in coffee, but I have noticed that coffee can taste significantly different with salty food. Also, try a strong black coffee, no sugar, with hot, spicy food, like a curry, it tastes really sweet.

There’s a good name for this drink- “Hello Hypertension”.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
There’s a good name for this drink- “Hello Hypertension”.
Sugar, or carbohydrates, probably cause more problems than salt:

I switched to a low carbohydrate diet about 2 years ago. I lost a significant amount of weight and my blood pressure went from worryingly high, to normal, and seems to be staying there. I salt my food liberally.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sugar, or carbohydrates, probably cause more problems than salt:
I'm 56 and my doctor advised me to pile on the salt. Tingling in my feet and cramping calves. I started really pouring it on and voila.. fixed the issues. I feel better.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm 56 and my doctor advised me to pile on the salt. Tingling in my feet and cramping calves. I started really pouring it on and voila.. fixed the issues. I feel better.
... so, are you saying that you regressed back to a younger age by your 'NaCl" diet?
proxy-image

Pappy said "All in moderation, Son! But avoid the Hg."

gvl

Major Contributor
The source of caffeine has been reestablished. I ended up with a slightly used Lelit PL91T aka Victoria. I thought carefully about a machine with E61 but decided against it, while I could likely work around the long warmup time by adding a timer I don’t have a solution for wasted counter space. And with only 11” depth, under 10 min warmup time, 68mm filter, and a built in PID I’m pretty stocked :)

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Started drinking occasional coffee about 15 years ago. Rarely more than 1 cup a day, sometimes weeks or months between cups. Various makers shown below in order of progression. The Chemex is what I currently use - also have a single cup variation. The Cona is in a cabinet to be brought out for special occasions. Although the pour over Chemex is just as good. I also dabble with roasting green beans from Sweet Marias in a West Bend Poppery 2 air popper. I have a hand grinder to complete that laborious process. Vinyl playback process does not hold a candle to the coffee rabbit hole!

1636991149067.jpeg

1636991257369.jpeg

1636991362835.jpeg

1636991483268.jpeg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lelit PL91T aka Victoria
That is a great idea @gvl
I am thinking of christening my LaPavoni Stradivari w/the affectionate name of

"Luigi" >>
Snag_18e31afd.png
We all give names to our pets but I take my espresso much more seriously than Fido!
10Q

gvl

Major Contributor
That is a great idea @gvl
I am thinking of christening my LaPavoni Stradivari w/the affectionate name of

"Luigi" >> View attachment 165665.
We all give names to our pets but I take my espresso much more seriously than Fido!
10Q

Oh no, I didn't give it a human name, because if I did the next steps would be to try to talk to it and I don't want to go there :) It is the official product/model name actually.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This appears to be as simple as it gets... for a gift idea?
1637445056300.png
1637445109500.png

I refuse to state what that dripping liquid looks like

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Even more simple. :D This is what I use for single servings of ground coffee. The Brew Buddy. It's great for when out on the road and camping too.
CoffeeBrewBuddyClearMug_adobespark_590x.jpg

dfuller

Major Contributor
I am way down the home espresso rabbit hole at this point.

Machine: Breville Dual Boiler (BES920XL) - arguably the single best home espresso machine short of a Lelit Bianca, and it matches the capability of that machine with a 20 minute mod.

Grinder: Eureka Mignon Notte (Mignon Manuale, for those of you in Europe). Keep thinking about replacing this with a Niche Zero, but that's $700 I couldn't drop on a subwoofer. I've got a 3D printed single dose hopper and bellows on it.

I have a V60 somewhere that doesn't see much use as of late. I just tend to prefer my coffee syrupy and thick.

Attachments

• 2021-10-30 12.00.19.jpg
    2021-10-30 12.00.19.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 65

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love a good espresso or cappuccino from a cafe that knows how to make it. But for everyday at home we do regular American drip coffee.

We have a Moccamaster that is amazingly good - got it 1/3 off via Drop, and I was gobsmacked at the difference when I took the first sip of the first cup I ever brewed with it, compared to our previous coffeemaker. It's amazing what something as simple as a high-quality heating element that actually gets the water to up to the optimal temperature can do for the taste - so much richer and no more bitterness!

MD_72529_20181012_172811.png.jpeg

As for coffee, we use Equal Exchange Ethiopian, whole bean, and grind it each morning.

61hW5RDmJhL._SX522_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_AA522SH20_.jpg

Ethiopian beans have always been my favorite, but I am a bit of a philistine because Equal Exchange is a medium roast instead of the traditional light roast one is "supposed" to do with Ethiopian. But I hate the chaff that comes with light roasts - it gets everywhere - not to mention the extra caffeine buzz from light roasts (I'm very sensitive to caffeine). And I actually prefer the flavor of the slightly darker roast Equal Exchange uses.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I love a good espresso or cappuccino from a cafe that knows how to make it. But for everyday at home we do regular American drip coffee.

We have a Moccamaster that is amazingly good - got it 1/3 off via Drop, and I was gobsmacked at the difference when I took the first sip of the first cup I ever brewed with it, compared to our previous coffeemaker. It's amazing what something as simple as a high-quality heating element that actually gets the water to up to the optimal temperature can do for the taste - so much richer and no more bitterness!

View attachment 167729

As for coffee, we use Equal Exchange Ethiopian, whole bean, and grind it each morning.

Ethiopian beans have always been my favorite, but I am a bit of a philistine because Equal Exchange is a medium roast instead of the traditional light roast one is "supposed" to do with Ethiopian. But I hate the chaff that comes with light roasts - it gets everywhere - not to mention the extra caffeine buzz from light roasts (I'm very sensitive to caffeine). And I actually prefer the flavor of the slightly darker roast Equal Exchange uses.
Hold on - you got a Moccamaster through Drop? Since when do they sell those???

As for coffee, I've been recently messing with some natural Ethiopians. They really do smack you in the face with berry notes. It's kinda fun!

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hold on - you got a Moccamaster through Drop? Since when do they sell those???

As for coffee, I've been recently messing with some natural Ethiopians. They really do smack you in the face with berry notes. It's kinda fun!

Yeah, I was surprised to see that myself. At the time I wouldn't have spent $300 on it (though knowing what I do now, I would), but Drop had it at $200 and that price felt more within the general neighborhood of the $100-$150 that the better, regular, major-brand drip coffeemakers can cost, so I took a chance based on what I'd read about it. Certainly paid off!

RE those berry notes, yes, that's part of what I love about them - nothing else like it. But as per my prior comment I'm kind of a wimp about it, so the darker roast subdues them a bit and makes the result more of a hybrid between a conventional coffee flavor and the Ethiopian flavor profile.

Top Bottom