• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone here want to give it a try and report back?
First quick view of your reply, sounded like the link was just another "Coffee Enema: Benefits, Risks, and More" article. Then, I noticed the 2nd word and almost gagged.
Please, DO NOT "REPORT BACK"!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Back in the deeps of time, I worked across the street from the Duncan Coffee Company, founded in Houston over a century ago. They didn’t buy beans by the ton, they bought by the shipload, and their roster looked like an oil refinery. The coffee roasting smell filled about two square miles.

You’ve never heard of them, but they made Maryland Club coffee in that roasting plant, Butternut coffee in a different plant, merged with Coca-Cola, and Charles Duncan of that era went on to become the President of Coca-Cola in the early 70’s. A later great-grandson re-established Duncan Coffee Company as a specialty roaster in Houston, and I still buy their coffee when I’m down there.

Rick “their Viennese Cinnamon is my favorite holiday coffee” Denney
:eek:

Tony "flavoured coffees are an abomination" Collins :D

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My favorite flavo(u)red espresso has always been espresso flavored. YMMV:confused:
That's not been flavoured (brit spelling) - it comes that way from the java Gods. :)

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:eek:

Tony "flavoured coffees are an abomination" Collins :D
I usually think that, too. But their Viennese Cinnamon is the exception for me. The cinnamon flavoring is subtle enough and the roast dark enough that the coffee flavor is not masked at all. Like I said--it's a good holiday flavor.

But people who claim to eschew flavored coffee are still often guilty of adulterating it with milk and sugar.

Rick "black, please, and strong" Denney

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But people who claim to eschew flavored coffee are still often guilty of adulterating it with milk and sugar.
Guilty as charged, but consider that some tastebuds detect (and are much more sensitive to) bitterness (and possibly "acidity") that is the nature of coffee (regardless if Robusta or Arabica). Such guilty parties do NOT normally add sugar and/or milk to coffee for adding flavo(u)rs to coffee but solely to counter the acute bitterness.

Reactions: JRS

MRC01

Major Contributor
I find that it only takes just a tiny a dash of milk to cut the acid just a bit. Unsweetened almond milk is best, as it has no sugar to ruin the taste. Cow milk has enough sugar to alter the flavor, and rice milk has so much sugar it just ruins it. Any more than a tiny dash and it ruins the coffee. It's not unlike adding a drop of water to single malt whisky. Just a drop (or two), nothing more.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Anyone tried adding salt to coffee?

I haven't tried adding salt directly in coffee, but I have noticed that coffee can taste significantly different with salty food. Also, try a strong black coffee, no sugar, with hot, spicy food, like a curry, it tastes really sweet.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't tried adding salt directly in coffee,
I had previously said this and we have been using about dozen grains of salt (per 16gm of espresso grind) for the past few weeks. After watching that JamesHoffmann video (re: how to buy coffee 101), I stopped adding salt because it actually does change some of the compounded but subtle tastes in the brew. Yet, provides less bitterness!

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
In general, I'm fine with bitterness, I like strong, dark roasts, whereas I don't like sour, acid flavours.

iu

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had previously said this and we have been using about dozen grains of salt (per 16gm of espresso grind) for the past few weeks. After watching that JamesHoffmann video (re: how to buy coffee 101), I stopped adding salt because it actually does change some of the compounded but subtle tastes in the brew. Yet, provides less bitterness!
I just tried adding a pinch of salt to about 18g of espresso grounds. I certainly tasted the difference, but I can't say that I liked it.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just tried adding a pinch of salt to about 18g of espresso grounds. I certainly tasted the difference, but I can't say that I liked it.
Are we supposed to mix this salt in? Or does it sit on top of the puck?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I gobble down Starbucks Dark Roast whenever I go there. The extra large vente size with 5 honeys or 4 sugars and I'm flying for a afternoon. :D
I don't have sugar in, or on, anything. :)

There are quite a few studies about how addictive sugar is, but I also think that if you avoid sweet sugary foods, your taste resets somewhat, so that you are more able to to appreciate the natural sweetness in unsweetened/unsugared things - like strong black coffee.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have sugar in, or on, anything. :)

There are quite a few studies about how addictive sugar is, but I also think that if you avoid sweet sugary foods, your taste resets somewhat, so that you are more able to to appreciate the natural sweetness in unsweetened/unsugared things - like strong black coffee.
I just can't manage coffee straight up. I tried since about age 14 onward into my adult life. When I was a teen living at home I never ate candy for my entire toddler to teen life other than after Halloween. My mother simply did not allow it and I never sought chocolate and other candy stuff till I got older. So I never had a sweet tooth till about age 26 when I discovered frozen Mr BiG chocolate bars and now I eat a dark chocO bar a day on average. Now it is even more difficult to drink coffee straight up that I do have a sweet tooth.
664817f7cffda2927eb96c1eb4b9abab.png

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've managed to reduce sugar in my cup of coffee from 6g to 3g. Now that I've been at this level for a while, I suppose I can try going even lower.

My normal cup consists of about 30g espresso shot (from 18g of beans), 60g of milk, and 30g of hot water.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
now I eat a dark chocO bar a day on average.
Snag_9e5ae60.png

Your Mom, kept you smart-n-arrow 'til 26, but I can't tell how long that set of chompers gonna stay good looking, if you don't stop that chocO thingy.
My normal cup consists of about 30g espresso shot (from 18g of beans), 60g of milk, and 30g of hot water.
Is that like an Americano? I have heard 2:1 ratio but you have probably experimented enough to know what is best. I do about about 16gm:36gm ratio, which allows that pretty creama telling you that you pulled a good shot (or two).
Are we supposed to mix this salt in? Or does it sit on top of the puck?
After tamping the grounds in the basket, I add 12 grains to the top before attaching portafilter to the grouphead... in the hopes that the hot water disperses/diffuses salt evenly through out the process, instead of after brewing (as JamesHoffmann tested in yt link above).

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Is that like an Americano? I have heard 2:1 ratio but you have probably experimented enough to know what is best. I do about about 16gm:36gm ratio, which allows that pretty creama telling you that you pulled a good shot (or two).
There's no milk in an Americano. An americano is essentially an espresso shot, or two, in a larger cup, to which you add hot water to taste; I dont think the amount of hot water you add is defined. In some coffee shops, if you ask for an americano, they'll give you an espresso in a large cup and a separate little jug of hot water.

There's also a long black, where you add an espresso shot to a cup of hot water and a lungo, where you extend the time of the shot and continue to pass water through the coffee: https://www.drinkmorning.com/blogs/...o-vs-long-black-vs-lungo-whats-the-difference

Top Bottom