• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My lovely lever. Izzo Alex Leva.
1625460223202.jpeg

mansr

Major Contributor
View attachment 139198
And here is that transmission. Pretty cool bit of engineering, that can reliably make delicious coffee every time. Beans dependant of course, I use Campos.
That looks a lot like mine. Which parts did you replace? Mine sometimes makes a noise that I suspect is the belt (bottom left) slipping.

fluufy

That looks a lot like mine. Which parts did you replace? Mine sometimes makes a noise that I suspect is the belt (bottom left) slipping.
It’s the big beige plastic part on the diagonal, the old part is on the table in the background. It’s called the Transmission Assembly, and includes a new motor and belt. In my case, the noise was because the screw drive inside was stuffed and the motor was straining to move the brew head up and down, which is why I thought it worth getting the assembly with the motor and belt.

Apparently it can benefit from being removed and re-lubricated once a year, but it’s such a pain in the arse I would rather just replace the whole part every 10 years!

mansr

Major Contributor
In my case, the noise was because the screw drive inside was stuffed and the motor was straining to move the brew head up and down, which is why I thought it worth getting the assembly with the motor and belt.

Apparently it can benefit from being removed and re-lubricated once a year,
I'll have to look into that next time I open the thing. It makes good coffee, but it sure is a PITA to clean thoroughly.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
After seeing all these nice machines after my previous post. I think my Maxwell House Instant is looking just too easy to make. Hey, I have a good idea. OK, it's still early and I haven't finished my two cups of Maxwell House yet, but here goes? Does anyone make any exotic coffees in an instant form? People could get say Kona in an instant form for speed and ease of use. Anyone know of anything made out there and where to get it?

Neddy

Seattle coffee sent me %20 off coupon for automatics, so I spring for a Jura A1.
I was not having any luck refurbishing my baratza grinder, and was getting tired of the fussy custom setup I've been using with the MoccaMaster, so I guess I'll find out tomorrow if it's dramatically better (for only slightly more than the cost of a new/better grinder alone:)
Kind of like the 'push a button, make coffee' thing at this point.
More later....:>

mansr

Major Contributor
It’s the big beige plastic part on the diagonal, the old part is on the table in the background. It’s called the Transmission Assembly, and includes a new motor and belt. In my case, the noise was because the screw drive inside was stuffed and the motor was straining to move the brew head up and down, which is why I thought it worth getting the assembly with the motor and belt.

Apparently it can benefit from being removed and re-lubricated once a year, but it’s such a pain in the arse I would rather just replace the whole part every 10 years!
Having nothing better to do (that's a lie), I disassembled the thing, removed the worst gunk from the screw, and added some fresh grease. After putting it back together, it still works, and it didn't make the grinding sound it has been prone to, at least not yet. That's the good news. The bad news is that I noticed some cracks on the large belt pulley, so that's probably going to disintegrate at some point. Much as I'm in favour of repairing things, I'm tempted to replace this machine with something easier to maintain. Anyone know if Jura machines are better in this regard?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
is the Transmission Assembly the same as what Gaggia calls the brew group?

i.e. the tiny Barista inside the machine?

I hear the Jura machines are solidly built, no idea re maintenance intervals

DHT 845

My equipment, no displays, no smartphone integration, works great

delonghi.PNG
destination.PNG

fluufy

is the Transmission Assembly the same as what Gaggia calls the brew group?

i.e. the tiny Barista inside the machine?

I hear the Jura machines are solidly built, no idea re maintenance intervals
The Transmission Assembly moves the Brew Group up to tamp the grind and down to dump the dregs, its like the Baristas arms. Without the lip.

I think all Baristas are pretty high maintenance, doesn’t matter the brand or how much you spend on them.

Reactions: Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am trying to figure out how to use my fancy and too large Gaggia Babila-onian super-duper-semi-autonomous machine to make an iced latte.

> 90 oF here

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a video of how my hand grinder is made, of little interest to most people, but this bit is interesting.

thunderchicken

Do y'all pick a coffeepot based on measurements or do you "trust your tongues"?

James Hoffmann is the ASR of coffee equipment, and I think most of us go by that. I use his techniques when I can, but I don't have the time or resources to acquire and use his test gear. I love the parallels between audio and coffee gear, like how there are objective and subjective portions of the experience baked in. If your gear exceeds a certain threshold standard (like SINAD or preference scores for audio or grinder and brew method for coffee), then any complaints will be about the recording itself - or the beans - and not with the gear.

I've been using a Chemex or Aeropress daily for years now and the only relevant changes I make are grind size, grounds to water ratio, brew time, and brew temp. I chose a grinder based on consistency and dial it in based on elapsed brew time for a given amount of coffee. I'm way nerdier about coffee than I am about audio gear :)

Top Bottom