• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

gattaca

Interesting thread. From reading our ~ 24 prior pages I saw cold-brews mentioned a few times times without much fan-fare. I'll contribute there. I've been making cold-brew coffee for ~ 10+ years. I drink cold-brew year round at the rate of 2000-3000ml / day. I make it up a couple of days ahead of time and just keep the assembly-line going. I store the "cold-brew" in glass or stainless steel containers in my fridge and then consume them throughout the day. Most people who see my large insulated iced cup assume it's tea. ;)

I've tried 100's of different coffee brands (literally) available locally and via order. I now prefer the "Medium" roasts to the "Dark" roasts. Dark now taste "super bitter" and is certainly more oily - aka more like Starbucks than any other reference I have. I'm too lazy to buy a good grinder and go whole bean though I know all the benefits! To keep my costs down, I usually pick up the 1-2 ground bags/week on sale from the local supermarket. They have a 1/2 aisle of nothing but coffee!! I enjoy this model b/c it allows me to try some brands that I probably would not b/c of regular pricing can be $15 / 12-16 oz bag and it varies the flavors. I don't buy "flavored coffee" nor do I do de-caf. All caffine baby or what's the point? ;) American coffee is nearly always Arabica beans but I also favor Robusta which has about 2x the caffine kicks. Many people do not like 100% Robusta which tends to be from Vietnam. YMMV.

If you want an "around-the-world" tour or to expand your perspectives or just try something you will not find locally, check out these offerings. $ varies -> https://lenscoffee.com/

I've used this device exclusively and highly recommend it for cold brewers. No mess, no fuss and easy to maintain and clean. They also make a smaller "single serving" unit if that's suitable. I started out with the smaller unit then quickly realized the 1500ml version was more suitable for my consumption rate! :) -> https://purepuer.com/puer_tea/do/product/Piao_i_teapot/Piao I Tea Pot 1500cc GL-897 double lid

I put 3 coffee scoops in the upper section, fill with warm/cool water and shove it into the fridge. I typically make two runs of the coffee, a first brew, then I follow that in another 8-12 hours using the same coffee. The 2nd brew is of course a much lighter and weaker brew. Call me cheap - that's OK. I figure if a 1st and 2nd pressing works for other things, why not coffee. In the end, I end up with a moderate coffee. I make 1-2 of these per day.

Over the years I found the 1st drain cold brew just kick a$$ strong so I modified my routine. I put about 8 oz of water in the bottom of the pot now and add 1 package of only this Trung Nguyen "G7 BLACK Instant coffee" (not the 3 in 1)!! This is the Vietnamese instance coffee that is ground like dust and has a unique flavor. Some people hate it others think it's awesome. For me it's like adding a 4th scoop of coffee to the upper chamber but it imparts a developed flavor. I can discern immediately the differences.

-> https://trungnguyenus.com/products/g7-pure-black-instant-coffee-various-sizes

My better 1/2 grinds her own coffee every AM but she consumes just one French Press cup per day where I drink my stuff from 06:00 until ~ 16:00. I find if I do not stop then, I might have trouble falling out by 21:00. Overall, I find the cold brews less "bitter" than most hot-brewed, then chilled s where they brew the coffee like normal with heat, then put it in the fridge to chill. I can tell you, that is NOT the same result and tastes different.

Interesting thread. I hope you find this helpful. The real PIAO I 1500ml size was the final ticket for me. Oh.. I clean the PIAO I setup weekly with just warm soapy water and a good shake and rinse. GTG for the next week. Full disclosure: I have no financial interest in anything listed in this posting! Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
reviews on Amazon are sometimes posted by the existing customers, but often not

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a science forum, you need to present your evidence first to your extraordinary claim, then we will peer review it, whilst drinking the evidence.
That is acceptable. The test will be conducted at [redacted] on the 3rd of [redacted] at [redacted] PM.

Your lack of presence will verify your agreement with the claim.

Rick “[redacted]” Denney

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes.
Bushells instant coffee.
In prison they give you 2 types of instant coffee and Bushells is the better of the two.
So much so that Bushells is higher in prison currency value.

To this day I drink Bushells instant coffee. You feel like the top 1% every time you consume it.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Large quantities. Went from K-cups to Maxwell House Instant as the K-cup took too long to give me a cup. Plus I grew up on Maxwell House and have not had it for 15 years and I just went back to it in the last 6 months. Good to the last drop.

For you coffee purists, I know I just made you cringe! LOL.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
3-4 minutes from a K-cup took too long??

I am with you! I calculate that a $2,000 superduper-automated-automatic machine can cut that down to 2 minutes.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some more coffee pron.

firstbloomcoffee.jpg

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just received a Baratza Encore grinder for my birthday. I'm still trying to figure out how to judge how much I'm grinding, but I'm already liking the addition to my pour-over ritual. If I grind too much, the result isn't that significantly different, so I'm learning that the grind itself means more than the quantity of coffee in controlling the flavor, because it controls how fast the coffee drips through. I have the grinder on 12 right now, and the coffee is neither bitter not acidic, so perhaps I hit the target pretty well right from the start.

The coffee is a dark-roast Viennese with cinnamon flavoring that I bought from a shop in Houston, also a birthday present. They label it themselves, so I have no idea who did the roasting (I know they did not). I've had that coffee in a drip coffeemaker and liked it, but in a pourover it is much better--richer flavor with more body, a deeper background, and a spacious image far beyond the edges of the cup with real depth. I received a five-pound bag, so it's going to take a little while before I branch out.

Edit: I found out who does the roasting--Duncan Coffee Company of Houston. Duncan is run by the great-grandson of the founder of the original Duncan Coffee Company, which became a major roaster and was the owner of the Maryland Club brand, among others. I remember the old Maryland Club plant on Old Katy Road in Houston, near where I worked for a couple of summers while in college. The coffee aroma was strong all over that area. Duncan was bought eventually by Coca-Cola, and Charles Duncan ended up the president of Coke. Ownership changed and eventually ended. His grandson refounded the Houston-based coffee company a couple of decades ago as a boutique supplier, with no attempt to be the major roaster that it once was.

Rick "de gustibus non est disputandum" Denney

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The drink known as an "Americano" is an abomination.

milw50717

In the warmer months I make my own cold brew using a stainless steel filter in a mason jar . I generally use Lavazza or Peets beans.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I'm still using the Maxwell House instant. But, I'm getting the urge to go back to some fancy coffee every once in awhile. I like my 100% Kona from Hawaii. Plus I like a very mild coffee like watered down regular brew. It all depends on my mood that day. I do not drink anything from Starbucks as burned beans is the dumbest selling idea for coffee in my lifetime. People who do drink Starbucks burned beans should be called out publicly and ostracized. Maybe a public flogging in the town square? Well, I will have to buy a new coffee maker if I decide on some more Kona. I haven't had any in probably 5 years or more. I have to make a decision on a coffee maker. It will take at least 6 months of research before I go to Walmart and by the Mr. Coffee brewer! :)

Blaspheme

The power switch on my Rocket Appartamento failed so while I had it in pieces to replace it, I painted the white plastic side panels yellow. Because I apparently like yellow.

View attachment 108848
View attachment 108849
One of my business partners swears by his Rocket. No custom paint, I'll have to show him this one.

I used to make a strong french press to get by at work, back in the dark ages. For a while at home I had a Nespresso machine. But those capsules have what 7 grams of coffee if you're lucky? I was up to three capsules per cup on the work machine with limited satisfaction (but free as in meeting). A local barista got me by with macchiato, two at a time (one to drink standing up, one to take back to the office. When lockdown took hold it was time for some machinery. No Appartamento to be had so I did Lelit Mara. Here it is post-pull on on day one, almost a year ago:

IMG_2964.jpeg

... three months later, down the rabbit hole dialing-in new beans:

IMG_3218.jpeg

... one of the lessons being, don't drink all your test shots. I did, naturally.

Last edited:

fluufy

I have a DeLonghi Magnifica S which has served me 2 cups a day for many years. It has been so good that, when it started making funny noises, I bought the parts and replaced the transmission unit myself. I highly recommend it. In fact I shall have one now.

fluufy

EE533268-5F19-4481-BEB3-4C9939A36F02.jpeg

And here is that transmission. Pretty cool bit of engineering, that can reliably make delicious coffee every time. Beans dependant of course, I use Campos.

Top Bottom