• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have respect for people who can drink Starbucks coffee.
I cram lots of honey and cream into it to make it more palatable and it's dark enough that it can handle the extra sweetness :D

gvl

Major Contributor
I cram lots of honey and cream into it to make it more palatable and it's dark enough that it can handle the extra sweetness :D

That might work. I usually need to make a mental effort to convince myself I'm not drinking used motor oil ;) To be fair some Starbucks shops brew better coffee than others or just manage to keep it fresh, but they are more of an exception to the rule.

Vasr

Major Contributor
My custom blend of Peaberry + Lavazza Il Filtro Classico + 10% Chicory.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
AeroPress here as well, with a stainless steel filter. Just got a Wilfa Aroma grinder as a bday present and have been trying out different dark roast beans. Love to start the day with a strong cup :cool:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That might work. I usually need to make a mental effort to convince myself I'm not drinking used motor oil ;) To be fair some Starbucks shops brew better coffee than others or just manage to keep it fresh, but they are more of an exception to the rule.
Yeah, I've been told by several peeps they hate Starbucks but I see the line-ups there and realize it is very successful. I would rather a cup of Kicking Horse Coffee but sometimes it's nice to simply have somebody else make it, serve it and then drink it at the Starbucks. Unfortunately COVID19 has made that difficult in some locations if they have not closed completely. Soon... vaccination will be a reality. :D

gvl

Major Contributor
Yeah, I've been told by several peeps they hate Starbucks but I see the line-ups there and realize it is very successful.

People have low standards, the number of tube amp proponents is the proof.

Nybto

Forum Donor
1 or two shots a day for me. Still tasting this mornings as I sit on the train, it was a good one. Using a Gaggia Classic, with a couple of mods, and Gastroback grinder. 40/60 Arabica / Robusta, not sure of the source, we buy it from Black Coffee Pharmacy, in Bonn. The kit is just scrapping into the hi-fidelity coffee ranks on a budget, and requires regular maintenance . The delicate balance of factors to get the perfect shot, and the “what went wrong with this one?”, is a good challenge.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
People have low standards, the number of tube amp proponents is the proof.
Up here in the Great White North there are not many option for coffee shops. I'm not a tube dood either but if a Schitt preamp with tubes can sound like transistors then I suppose it can be done. I've owned one tube amp and I collected that because it was a beautiful sorta ivory white front panel with gold trim vintage integrated amp from Illinois Audio Labs. No idea of the age but I guess pre 50's judging from the sales brochure models' hairstyles, clothing and the furniture in the picture. The tubes had gone soft and it sounded a bit scratchy but it all worked. I had the matching tuner for it too. :D

DChenery

Forum Donor
Magic Coffee from Vietnam. Smells like chocolate when brewing. Cannot recommend enough.

1605166513400.png

gvl

Major Contributor
Up here in the Great White North there are not many option for coffee shops. I'm not a tube dood either but if a Schitt preamp with tubes can sound like transistors then I suppose it can be done. I've owned one tube amp and I collected that because it was a beautiful sorta ivory white front panel with gold trim vintage integrated amp from Illinois Audio Labs. No idea of the age but I guess pre 50's judging from the sales brochure models' hairstyles, clothing and the furniture in the picture. The tubes had gone soft and it sounded a bit scratchy but it all worked. I had the matching tuner for it too. :D

I'm not a big coffee snob and go, well went, to Starbucks as while there maybe more choices around here Starbucks is usually the closest. It gets the job done.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not a big coffee snob and go, well went, to Starbucks as while there maybe more choices around here Starbucks is usually the closest. It gets the job done.
At the prices Starbucks charges ($3.00 for a simple coffee) one would think that there is enough cash flow to open a coffee shop and compete with Starbucks but people just don't seem to be doing it here.

Veri

Master Contributor
The Starbucks House Blend capsules are actually very good.
March, nooooooooo :p I find Starbucks blends way too 'burnt' tasting but to each their own. I sometimes buy a large at the train station and admittedly you do get a lot of caffeine for the money.

Usually at work we have fresh espresso beans to go with proper machines which is nice.. but due to WFH I'm currently resorting to capsules. I found some good tasting ones though, slowly turning into a capsule coffee snob. But hey good coffee > mediocre coffee. Right?

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor

I like coffee as per Italy-expresso and strong. Starbucks(IMNSHO) is for those who timidly venture beyond cheap instant coffee - in my opinion it is dishwater. o_O

51OYOulCoHL__AC_SX522_.jpg

Greek and Turkish is a worthwhile experience.

Day-to-day I use various Moccona freeze dried Instant varieties.

Too many of those domestic expresso machines require hearing protection.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We where drinking so much coffee at work that the boss was phoning around looking for hundred pound bags of bean... lol.. He found them but it was exotic imports and needed to be roasted... we where going to grind our own but buying a roaster was beyond our capacity...

win

I like Starbucks but it's too inconvenient with the current situation, and also a huge ripoff of epic proportions that we've slowly just accepted. My drink is a vanilla iced latte with two shots and that is like $6 I think?

I make it at home now using k cups. Tried several varieties and the Dunkin' Donuts original blend is good. I do two of the pods using the espresso/strong setting, then add some vanilla syrup, doesn't need very much, and a bit of whole milk. I have a nugget ice maker. The latte is put in a very large cup, where I fill ice to the top and stuff ice in until it's all the way to the bottom of the coffee.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never been able to justify those exotic expensive beverages from Starbucks. If it's $6 in the USA then it's more in Canada...lol.. We have a higher cost of living here. For $6.00+ I can save up 4 coffees and buy a bottle of whiskey that gives me a tonne more taste experience. :D I wish Starbucks had proper alcohol bitters but nope.

win

I've never been able to justify those exotic expensive beverages from Starbucks. If it's $6 in the USA then it's more in Canada...lol.. We have a higher cost of living here. For $6.00+ I can save up 4 coffees and buy a bottle of whiskey that gives me a tonne more taste experience. :D I wish Starbucks had proper alcohol bitters but nope.
I don't even know how much the really fancy ones, like the Frappuccino's that are basically milkshakes cost. They are very good though but basically a dessert. My drink is just milk and espresso and ice lol

Top Bottom