• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coaxial or Optical SPDIF 5.1 Surround Decode with AES/EBU Output, Breakout Box

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Everyone knows of the cheapo optical to 6 channel RCA boxes:

1618438740321.png

And the cheap HOSA ones with only two channels, but digital output:

1618442152406.png

Is there something like this that outputs to AES/EBU for a digital system, and has 5.1 outputs? Wanting something so that I can plug in a Genelec 7271 and 8260 pair instead of the HOSA adaptors that are only two channel... Might get some surround monitors in the future. Source is an LG C9 OLED that can output Dolby surround or PCM over optical.

OR

For significantly more, (Maybe $2000) is there something that would take optical or EARC and output it to both Analogue XLR and AES/EBU over XLR or Coaxial which I understand can be converted to AES/EBU?

Might just need to save the money and go all analogue if I do surround after the XMC2 gets measured, but would like to be able to do all digital 2.1 with expandability if I can. Other than a Dante device that can have adaptors do AES or Analogue XLR, sounds like I might need to settle.

This device should be out in June ish, but I don't know if it Arvus will sell it to compete with something like an Emotiva/Monolith or more like $20,000 competing with Trinnov/Casablanca/JBL Synthesis which apparently still has issues with Dante.

http://www.arvus.io/h2-udma.html

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Mutec 3+ unit or one of their other units I think will do what you want for two channels. Some of their units do as many as 16 channels, but not in a way useful for AV use. But they do output multiple pairs I think. You also might want to look at their MC4 and MC8.1 boxes. I don't know the prices of the other models and the 3+ or 3+ USB isn't cheap.

And looks like they've gone up some in recent years.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MC3Plus--mutec-mc-3-master-clock

Might grab one second hand and save a few bucks.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Mutec 3+ unit or one of their other units I think will do what you want for two channels.

Thanks for replying, Blumlein. I'm Trying to find something that has multiple digital outputs from Optical, rather than a reclocker which it looks like that is.

Last edited:
OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dolby DP564 may be what I'm looking for.

Just has weird non-XLR outputs for the digital AES.

DigiPete

Copenhagen, or Spain or Budapest or the world
First, with Genelec, you plug your AES/EBU cable into the sub (7271) and from there into one 8260, then on to the next.
The sub will digitally take what it needs and send the rest on.
I.e. one AES/EBU output to one cable carrying two channels.

Secondly, AFAIK all Genelec AES/EBU monitors accepts S/PDIF inputs through the AES/EBU XLR.
The monitor just ignores the bit in the protocol that specifies if it's AES or S/PDIF.
The voltage is less in S/PDIF, but you can use a transformer like the Neutrix NADITBNC-M for longer cables (I'd say over 2m).

If you insist on a real USB to AES DDC, something like the Yellowtec PUC2 Lite will do the trick @ €435.
Otherwise a simple DAC with a S/PDIF out will do the trick, say a TOPPING D10s.

Now, getting 6 channels of AES is a little more expensive.
I use a Weiss AFI1, as I wanted to make sure to have a pristine low jitter signal.
Turns out that Genelecs filter for jitter themselves, so no need to over spend like I did.
Anything with a decent S/PDIF or AES output should do.

I'd look for something very mainstream, say a Motu 112D with 24 channels of AES or 2 Motu 8D with 4 channels each.

The Lynx Studio AES-16e PCI Express card is another way.
But it's a PCI card so you need a stationary or a break out box for it.
Or get lucky and buy a used Lynx Studio Technology Aurora 8

I'm sure others will chime in with cheaper options . . .

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First, with Genelec, you plug your AES/EBU cable into the sub (7271) and from there into one 8260, then on to the next.
The sub will digitally take what it needs and send the rest on.
I.e. one AES/EBU output to one cable carrying two channels.
----
Now, getting 6 channels of AES is a little more expensive.
I use a Weiss AFI1, as I wanted to make sure to have a pristine low jitter signal.
Turns out that Genelecs filter for jitter themselves, so no need to over spend like I did.
Anything with a decent S/PDIF or AES output should do.

I'd look for something very mainstream, say a Motu 112D with 24 channels of AES or 2 Motu 8D with 4 channels each.

The Lynx Studio AES-16e PCI Express card is another way.
But it's a PCI card so you need a stationary or a break out box for it.
Or get lucky and buy a used Lynx Studio Technology Aurora 8

Thanks for the suggestions, you have an incredible system. ;)

I'd work with those if the source was a computer, but in this case it's a surround sound system to be used as part of a small home theater.

Nothing much that decodes optical and outputs to XLR analogue or better (RCA<Balanced analogue<AES over XLR) besides the Dolby processor I am seeing, and it's only $300 used, where most stuff these days does 16 channels that I won't have for a long time, and cost 10x as much for a bad one, or $16,000 for more capabilities!

DigiPete

Thanks for the suggestions, you have an incredible system. ;)

I'd work with those if the source was a computer, but in this case it's a surround sound system to be used as part of a small home theater.

Nothing much that decodes optical and outputs to XLR analogue or better (RCA<Balanced analogue<AES over XLR) besides the Dolby processor I am seeing, and it's only $300 used, where most stuff these days does 16 channels that I won't have for a long time, and cost 10x as much for a bad one, or $16,000 for more capabilities!

Thanks
Sorry, I must have been tired and missed the source.

So you only have RCA out?

DigiPete

Question: Do you know if you can daisy chain from one speaker to another, and then to the subwoofer?

Nope.
The digital X-over DSP hardware is in the sub, so the signal needs to go there first for GLM to be able to optimise X-over frequency and room compensation.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks
Sorry, I must have been tired and missed the source.

So you only have RCA out?

Optical out is the only option for surround since I can't afford a $16k+ system that will do HDMI eARC to AES/EBU and analog XLR at the same time. The Dolby DP564 processor should be able to do both, though not anything new like 16 channel at most... Just 5.1 but that's good enough for me, and I'll convert the AES3iD over BNC to AES over XLR with a 75 ohm to 110 ohm converter.

DigiPete

If I may - what are the benefits of the setup you are planning over using a PC ?

I'm honestly interested, as I've been doing everything through my Mac since 2008 and have not felt I missed something.

Thanks

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I may - what are the benefits of the setup you are planning over using a PC ?

Mostly casting stuff and not having to use any sort of remote. Not having to figure out HDMI DRM and find that I can't pass whatever I want in the future, so just keeping it simple and cheaper for now.

If I could voice control my computer that would be great. I suppose I can kind of do that with Spotify acting as a remote on my phone and giving my phone commands.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Update: The biggest drawback of this has been no support for HDMI LPCM which the Nintendo Switch uses. Surround sound would be nice when friends are over using a console.

Additionally, a DP580 which could do LPCM and better formats has been discontinued for a while and there are no units on Ebay.

However, it is working for my 4.1 system, and I can chromecast stuff to my TV, it automatically turns on, and I can use Google Assistant etc. and not have to bother with remotes.

Now I just want a way of controlling the volume as the DP564 doesn't support a remote, and once surround sound is being passed from the Chromecast, it doesn't let you control the volume.

Going forward, might end up having to go to regular XLR outputs as it doesn't seem like Arvus is coming out with their HDMI eARC audio solution any time soon. (Takes channels from HDMI and can send the out via Dante or AES/EBU.)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@stevenswall

how did you manage to get the LG to output Dolby digital over optical?

did you test it in anyway?

also i think you can easily mod one of those 5.1 boxes to output digital outputs.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@stevenswall

how did you manage to get the LG to output Dolby digital over optical?

did you test it in anyway?

also i think you can easily mod one of those 5.1 boxes to output digital outputs.

Select Passthrough mode and it will pass through the surround sound stream if the source supports it. There is a status light on the DP564 unit that tells you when surround sound is enabled, and volume meters for each of the 8 channels. When surround sound stuff plays, the indicator lights up and I can see the meters going up and down on the different channels.

Optical supports surround sound and used to be the primary way you'd hook up such a thing since there weren't a ton of outputs on the back of a TV for 8 channels of output. Otherwise you had to run things through the receiver which doesn't work as video specs get updated and no engineers have figured out how to actually do a passthrough.

I wish they would upgrade optical to support crazy stuff. It has the bandwidth.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Select Passthrough mode and it will pass through the surround sound stream if the source supports it. There is a status light on the DP564 unit that tells you when surround sound is enabled, and volume meters for each of the 8 channels. When surround sound stuff plays, the indicator lights up and I can see the meters going up and down on the different channels.

Optical supports surround sound and used to be the primary way you'd hook up such a thing since there weren't a ton of outputs on the back of a TV for 8 channels of output. Otherwise you had to run things through the receiver which doesn't work as video specs get updated and no engineers have figured out how to actually do a passthrough.

I wish they would upgrade optical to support crazy stuff. It has the bandwidth.

was there 5.1 output over optical when you played Dolby Atmos content on the TV? DTS? Or was the output exclusively from 5.1 EACC3 input?

I’m also looking for a ‘minimal’ setup since I don’t want a billion speakers either but i have my doubts over this strategy.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
was there 5.1 output over optical when you played Dolby Atmos content on the TV?

The DP564 is made by Dolby and doesn't support competitor formats, only Dolby Digital. Old too so no Atmos.

Newer Dolby formats have legacy format support and can send a simplified 5.1 stream to older hardware.

Anything that has a Dolby surround sound stream will play on this.

Youtube won't unless it's a weird old AC3 format surround and a Nintendo Switch won't because that is LPCM.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The DP564 is made by Dolby and doesn't support competitor formats, only Dolby Digital. Old too so no Atmos.

Newer Dolby formats have legacy format support and can send a simplified 5.1 stream to older hardware.

Anything that has a Dolby surround sound stream will play on this.

Youtube won't unless it's a weird old AC3 format surround and a Nintendo Switch won't because that is LPCM.

So the TV is capable of decoding atmos to DD+ but not EAC3 5.1 or other surround formats.

I mean Atmos is swallowing the market, i would be satisfied with having atmos in 5.1 via optical if that's the case.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The TV does pass through. An atmos stream contains a backwards compatible stream that gets passed through.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This setup with the DP564 is also compatible with Tidal surround sound that is "atmos" encoded music.

This doesn't work with the Amazon music app or casting from Tidal or Amazon Music HD to the TV.

Now looking for a used DP580 which I think supports Atmos. None used that I can find though.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rather than opening a thread ( By the way the form, now, has a nifty feature that suggest threads pertaining to your query..).

Looking for Apple-dongle-cheap ADC with either SPDI/F or AES/EBU output. RCA analog in ... Digital AES/EU or SPDI/F output...

Top Bottom