• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coaxial driver experiences and preferences

Goodman

I have dabbled in DIY tri-amplified open baffles without much success. I now have a well designed semi open baffle Olan II with very powerful amp, It's my "good enough no touch system". Great sound stage.
Next to that I have Zu audio Soul Fly which I was hoping would give me a more upfront semi monitoring system, but very disappointing: few qualities, lots of compromises.
I find small speakers useless no matter how great the quality (and price). I may try an Altec 604, highly recommended by Japanese audiophiles, even in small spaces.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I'd give a well-designed open baffle a try.
I do know what you mean -- but that's kind of like saying a well designed piece of wood. ;)
OBs are an interesting side-shoot of loudspeaker "enclosure" design -- obviously, LF roll-off (cancellation) and placement are critical (embracing the back wave rather than trying to thwart it!), but there's fun to be had with OBs.
Great experimental platform.
http://jelabsarch.blogspot.com/2012/06/open-baffle.html as good a place to start as any, IMO and IME.

I have long felt strongly that if a driver doesn't sound good in free space -- it ain't gonna sound good, full stop. :rolleyes:

DSC_7144 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You're speaking ASR heresy, don't you know.
But, wait, it says something about liking fun and being happy....so if he's happy and having fun, not a crime? ;)

Yarra

But, wait, it says something about liking fun and being happy....so if he's happy and having fun, not a crime?
Happiness is not quantifiable. We must measure to be sure. Only then can we feel secure with ourselves. Spreadsheets are useful for measuring how much we love our children. If the electronics measure well then they must produce good sonics. No exception. We are the ones in error if our preference does not agree with the measurements.

Top Bottom