• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coaxial Confused - new DAC

Taiga

I just bought a Lavaudio DS600 DAC that has inputs for bluetooth, USB, optical, and coaxial. I have the bluetooth and USB receiving audio from my iphone and ipad, and the optical connected to my CD player. I thought I could connect my cable box to the coaxial input. Previously I used the RCA outputs from the cable box connected to the RCA inputs of my receiver. I thought I could use an RCA splitter cable from the cable box RCA to the coaxial input of my DAC, but that doesn’t work. What adapters do I need to connect either my LG OLED TV or my cable box to the coaxial input?

Thanks!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Coax inputs on DACs are looking for an SPDIF signal similar in format to the optical connection. Splitting the RCA outputs like you tried fed them an analog signal that would not be recognized.

So you need an device that strips out the audio and sends the digital SPDIF signal over coax.

Does your TV have optical outputs or does the cable box have optical outputs?

If so you could get a switcher that lets you switch between multiple optical outputs. It is also possible if you use HDMI to connect cable box to TV to get a device which will pass thru the HDMI for the picture to the TV, but output the audio over optical or other connectors. Maybe if you give us the model number of your TV and cable box we could look at manuals and help you figure it out.

JSmith

Master Contributor
What adapters do I need to connect either my LG OLED TV or my cable box to the coaxial input?
You need to use digital audio out on the TV or cable box (if it has same), as above optical out, to the DAC. If you need to convert the optical to coax so you can use that input; https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Tend...onverter/dp/B06XCTGZFT/ref=asc_df_B06XCTGZFT/
Previously I used the RCA outputs from the cable box connected to the RCA inputs of my receiver.
If the cable box only has analogue outs, then stick with that... it's already analogue.

JSmith

OP
T

Taiga

Hi. Thanks for the replies. My TV is an LG OLED65B7A. The only audio out seems to be for an optical cable. My TV cable box is a Cisco Explorer 8742HDC. It has RCA as well as optical audio outputs. My Onkyo Cd player has RCA and optical. I want to be able to connect both the TV audio and CD to the DAC. The empty inputs on the DAC are optical and coaxial.

Here is info on the cable box:

The chart says that the optical output is not active, but mine shows a red glowing light.

Here is a link to the manual for the TV:

I appreciate all of your help!

JSmith

Master Contributor
The chart says that the optical output is not active, but mine shows a red glowing light.
The device itself offers optical out, as people in this thread are using same;

However your provider Cox seems to disable this on the device... you could try it I suppose, but it's probably limited to L/R RCA analogue out.

Anything being viewed on the TV will generally send the audio out the TV optical port, so you could run that to your DAC. But it's a bit pointless as the DAC in the cable box has already converted it to analogue, so you'll just be converting it back to digital via the TV and then back to analogue again via the external DAC.

JSmith

Top Bottom