• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

coax out from blu ray player

bigbear

I understand that due to copy protection (HDCP) and/or bandwith limitations there are limitations on audio outputs from blu ray players. This question is for movies only: When using the coaxial output, with the player performing the decoding and downmixing to 2 channel, is the PCM signal that I am sending to my dac the decoded lossless (true HD, DTS MA) or the lossy (AC3, DTS) track and is the signal downsampled from 24 bit to 16 bit Thank you.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
S/PDIF (optical and coaxial) can pass 2.0 (2-channels) of PCM digital audio, max of 24-bit/96k or 24-bit/192k.
Or up to 6-channels (5.1) of encoded (compressed/bitstream) of Dolby or DTS digital audio, max is 24-bit/48K.
So Dolby True HD Audio or DTS Master Audio (like 5.1 or 7.1) can not pass thru S/PDIF.
So the audio coming thru S/PDIF, like from a 5.1 or 7.1 audio tracks, will be about equal to a DVD movie disk, when passing encoded audio.
(but you are really asking about decoded audio)
Each Blu-ray player might not be exactly the same, with what downmixed 2.0 signal is sent thru S/PDIF.
Hopefully your Blu-ray player downmixed 2.0 signal is higher than 24-bit/48K.
What is the make and model of your Blu-ray player?

OP
B

bigbear

A sony X700 but I am willing to try others - new or used. My understanding is that I do not need higher than 24 /48 because I have not seen any blu ray movies with higher than than and some are 16/48.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not the expert, but DVD movie disks are limited to 24-bit/48K (20 year old tech).
So a modern Blu-ray movie disks should come with higher than 24-bit/48K, but I'm not the expert.

Top Bottom