• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Closed Unsealed Headphone

concorde1

I might sell my Fostex TH900 because while with EQ it provides the best reproduced audio I've ever experienced, it's not built very well.

The reason I don't want a seal is, my first headphone I ever got was the Oppo PM-3, which I kept for a week only, because the seal was so intense I could feel my heartbeat in my ears and it was awful. Also in the case of an emergency, I want to be able to hear what's going on outside. On my TH900, I can easily hear the outside world, despite it being closed back.

But I want closed back or semi-open so that I can use them while walking.

I might be buying another headphone, so I seek recommendations.

Two headphones I'm considering are the Sennheiser HD820, and the Dan Clark Ether Flow 1.1 Closed.

How is the seal on the two above - brutal or let some sound in from outside? I'm not sure I've heard of a closed unsealed headphone other than the TH900.

As you can tell, if I do buy something, I want to spend quite a bit for something nice. I will of course be EQ-ing the headphone.

Dan Clark Stealth is too expensive unfortunately, although I am curious about the seal in the Stealth too.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The TH900s and it's various derivatives are the oddballs.

Mose closed headphones are closer to the Oppos, including the HD820s and DCAs.

imas69

Beyerdynamic T1 gen 2 are sublime and semi open but they are 600ohm, some of these new daps are fully able to drive them, perhaps £450 on the headphone and a grand on a new dap would be money better spent.

imas69

I already have a Topping NX4 for walking which will drive anything pretty much
In that case I would try the T1 2nd gen, I own numerous headphones including HD800, LCD 2 etc, I also have the Noire but in my opinion the T1 blows them all away
despite the naysayers

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
the seal was so intense I could feel my heartbeat in my ears and it was awful.

Have you tried a pair of ANC headphones before ? This is called the occlusion effect and most ANC headphones have a feedback mechanism that can reduce that effect.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

Have you tried a pair of ANC headphones before ? This is called the occlusion effect and most ANC headphones have a feedback mechanism that can reduce that effect.
No. However ANC will mean I still can't hear outside. Interesting though.

I might just hold on to my creaky TH900.

markanini

Major Contributor
Semi-open and open let in roughly as much outside noise compared to closed back which let in signification less than either.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Semi-open and open let in roughly as much outside noise compared to closed back which let in signification less than either.
I have Sennheiser HD 598SR open back headphones and I can hear the TV, fire alarm and even sirens outside clear as day. I think they also allow for a exchange of air to keep my ears cool and prevent them from getting too sweaty, red and hot.

Yasuo

Always wanted to try the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro since it has the closed, semi-open and open sliders although I think they don't measure that well, but maybe EQ can fix it.

PointyFox

I've owned the TH900, Stealth, HD820, Dan Clark Ether Flow 1.1 Closed, etc.

In terms of isolation, Stealth, Dan Clark Ether Flow 1.1 Closed, and HD820 are more isolating than the TH900 which leaks a bit of sound.
Why not just get an open-back? The whole point of closed-back headphones is isolation.

If you want to be able to hear better outside your TH900, I recommend putting fenestrated pads on it. It will cause more sound to leak.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

I already have an open-back. Closed back I want for "more isolation" but not total isolation - for going for a walk and still hearing that car horn warning me, but not letting people easily hear what I'm listening to.

Semi-open is a maybe if there are any decent ones.

I'm 100% happy with the unsealed nature of TH900; the problem is their build is not great and when I take them for a walk they make a creaking sound on one side on every step I take, which is annoying and unacceptable for their price.

I have no idea how I can fix this creak sound, and I bought the TH900 while overseas in Japan 3-4 years ago so I can't send them back for a replacement.

I don't think I could bring myself to sell them due to the EQ'd sound being so good.

posvibes

Have you considered the Bose QC35's, I find them very comfortable and with the added feature of various levels of noise cancelling they offer some flexibility.?

Top Bottom