• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Closed Thread

D700

**Note: I'm no longer maintaining this list. Devices and features are changing too rapidly to put forth the effort.**

I gathered this for my own purchase decision then shared in another thread. I'm happy to update this first post periodically if anyone has corrections/suggestions, just send me DM.

Intentionally excluding Chromecast Devices, Apple TVs and Firesticks.

Please validate information yourself before making a purchase; I don't want to be responsible for unhappy purchase decision: )

Streamer Comparison.png

Last edited:
OP
D700

D700

Added Roon, along with MQA and DSD. I dug my Squeezebox 3 out of storage and have found the Squeezebox community forum, a few folks are keeping it current, there's some configuration and app knowledge needed, not what I'd call out of the box...but I've got the SB3 up and running again with Logitech Media Server serving my Hi Res music files (via simple folder share on the MAC), the local web remote control and Pandora. I'll be setting up a trial of Spotify later this week.

OP
D700

D700

Are the Roon Raspberry Pi solutions too DIY for this list?
If you want to collect the data and send it to me in the same format, I'll figure something out, even if its a secondary post. I'm thinking the Squeezebox and Raspberry Pi stuff might fit together under "not plug and play" section.

Joe F

eBay is sick with Sonos Connects. About $215US
Just bought one, and I'm going to subscribe to Tidal.
I'll advise how it turns out.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I would the dump Squeezebox column and add a Squeezelite column. A Raspberry Pi/Squeezelite-based player is not strictly plug and play (though there are vendors who will ship it that way), but it's as easy as
  • Snap pi into case
  • Burn piCorePlayer to memory card (using, e.g., Etcher)
  • Insert memory card
  • Plug in ethernet and USB DAC
  • Plug in power
  • Navigate to http://localhost:9000 and find your new player IP address
  • Navigate to http://<IP address of RPi> and configure Squeezelite

Willem

Major Contributor
For me the Chromecast Audio is/was the best buy. I use its digital output in a revealing system and it is sonivally perfect. And convenient. I will not mention the price.

OP
D700

D700

For me the Chromecast Audio is/was the best buy. I use its digital output in a revealing system and it is sonivally perfect. And convenient. I will not mention the price.
Yeah Chromecast is pretty cool. I didn't think it was a streamer in the same sense as these other devices though. If you feel differently, send me the entries for the rows and I will update the chart with it.

OP
D700

D700

I would the dump Squeezebox column and add a Squeezelite column.
I hear you...I gave up trying to illustrate all the Squeeze based options, its its own ecosystem of devices. I ended up getting an SBT off eBay and its doing everything I want. Slim Devices was (is) so far ahead of its time. I'm waiting to see what Yamaha does with MusicCast.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Pro-ject Streambox S2 Ultra, slightly higher retail price than the $700 here.

Has anyone tested this yet?

OP
D700

D700

I'm not familiar with it, I think amirm may have tested one of their DACs. If you send me the entries, I'm happy to add to the main post.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not familiar with it, I think amirm may have tested one of their DACs. If you send me the entries, I'm happy to add to the main post.
It’s an USB output only (no DAC) with little info that I can find anywhere.

My plan is to mate it to the Oppo 205
USB DAC for Tidal streaming.

captain paranoia

Yeah Chromecast is pretty cool. I didn't think it was a streamer in the same sense as these other devices though.

It's a network audio player. An endpoint for a Chromecast audio stream.

Looking at one of your candidate devices (the Denon Network Audio Player) the CCA seems to be essentially the same thing, only supporting just the one protocol:

https://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/hifi/networkplayer/dnp800ne

The Marantz looks to be the same thing; a network audio player (with the addition of local USB storage):

https://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/produc...&subcatid=networkaudioplayer&productid=na6006

OP
D700

D700

It's a network audio player. An endpoint for a Chromecast audio stream.
Ok, just reading up, the Chromecast requires a casting device (phone, PC, tablet), it can't control the stream directly. Its just an endpoint, akin to a device that supports Airplay. Not the same thing.

Willem

Major Contributor
That is not quite true. The CCA streams directly from the router. The smartphone or tablet is little more than a remote control. Once the program material is selected on the phone or tablet and the connecton is handed over to the CCA, you can turn off the phone.

Last edited:
OP
D700

D700

That is not quite true. The CCA streams directly from the router. The smartphone or tablet is little more than a remote control. One the program material is selected on the phone or tablet and the connecton is handed over to the CCA, you can turn off the phone.
Good on ya Willem, enjoy the Chromecast.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm confused, the Sonos Connect requires a casting device also right, that is, you cannot control anything because it has no controls. What is the distinction?

Top Bottom