• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Closed phones recommendation for HD58x user

SiW

Love my HD58x open phones but which closed phones are comparable or ‘better’ for up to £500 (happy with used). Amazon is preferred purchase place for new due to returns.

Amp is SMSL C200 combo or Drop THX AAA 789.

markanini

Major Contributor
IDK if DCA Noire can be found within you budget 2nd hand. Shure SRH440 is a damn good deal but you will have to overlook the cheap build qualify. Beyer DT250-250 does it tonally, but channel imbalance makes it hard to justify. Other options have a larger tonal difference, but AKG K371 remains noteworthy for sound quality. I haven't heard Austrian Audio Hi-X60, if Amazon gives you good terms for returns it could be worth a listen.

Last edited:

Dazerdoreal

If you are looking for a similar sound signature & comfort as the 58x, you might like the Neumann NDH 20.

staticV3

Master Contributor
If you are looking for a similar sound signature & comfort as the 58x, you might like the Neumann NDH 20.
They are really dissimilar:
HD 58X vs NDH20.png HD 58X vs NDH20 Harman OE2018 Compensated.png

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The theory is that headphones people like tend to follow a certain tuning. The fact that you like 58x might not be very descriptive of your taste in a closed back.. Add to that staticV3 haven't already told you yet what would be a closed back that sounds like 58x, and it might be a good indication such a thing might not even exist. Here is a recent discussion that might be of help to you as well.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Read:
Regarding both subjective impressions and measurements and about aftermarket pad's to that.

Insist on trying them first (if possible) to determine the fit and keep in mind headband is not exactly large!

Last edited:

isostasy

What's your intended use, are you looking specifically for closed back headphones? Because honestly I would say Etymotic ER2XR. I've looked for closed back alternatives to my HD6XX and just can't find anything that sounds as close as the Etys, which in fact might sound better. I'm starting to be of the opinion that the best closed back headphones are IEMs.

Dazerdoreal

More than I remember, I admit. I would still say that both headphones share some similarities, as both have a warm neutral signature with a recessed ear gain and slightly dark treble. As a closed-back the NDH 20 has more bass, of course.

They do not look as dissimilar on Crinacles Squiglink.

OP
S

SiW

Thanks all - I like a good midbass punch and drops into the lower end of sub bass.

Any love for Focal Elegia?

IEM is an interesting thought as never considered them before.

Dazerdoreal

Thanks all - I like a good midbass punch and drops into the lower end of sub bass.

Any love for Focal Elegia?

IEM is an interesting thought as never considered them before.
Generally the Elegia also has a warm neutral sound, the lower treble just looks a bit wonky on graphs. They are not bad, but you pay for the looks & the metal build to some degree. Are you into EQing?

OP
S

SiW

Generally the Elegia also has a warm neutral sound, the lower treble just looks a bit wonky on graphs. They are not bad, but you pay for the looks & the metal build to some degree. Are you into EQing?

Thanks - I’ll be using an iPhone as the source with Amazon Music or Onkyo Player so not sure of EQ options available.

I EQ my car audio so no issue with DSP

OP
S

SiW

Found the Monoprice M1060C with generally good reviews. Anyone used them?

Dazerdoreal

Found the Monoprice M1060C with generally good reviews. Anyone used them?
You might come across quality control issues, and I have heard critisism about the comfort, especially the headband. Like many other planars, they are quite heavy (there are heavier ones though).

Maybe you can tell us more about what sound change from your 58x would you rather like to see. More bass? More warmth? More clarity? More treble?

OP
S

SiW

More sub bass - the Harmon curve seems to match my listening preference.

Dazerdoreal

I still believe in my advice to go for the NDH 20 then. :p Close to the 58x or not.

A closed headphone particularly known for its great subbass response is the Austrian Audio X-60 (unless you wear glasses, as solderdude found out).

That said, you might find its treble a bit harsh.
According to measurements the 58x sounds rather "relaxed", while the X-60 sounds rather "analytical".

Bernd

Forum Donor
Hi, your question is really interesting. I found myself in the same situation about a year ago. I tested the Austrian Audio X-60 (and did not like it), then afterwards the DC Aeon RT (better sound than Austrian Audio but really difficult to wear on my head with my glasses) and finally I found the AKG 371 - second hand for 65€. What can I say - almost perfect- unless - you push it too much -decibelwise. Out of the box it is already very good - but with a little EQ it is unbeatable given the price point (135 € new).

Last edited:
OP
S

SiW

I went for the AKG 371BT as cheap from Amazon warehouse at £98.

Sound nice to me and similar enough to the Senn’s but with more sub bass.

Isolation isn’t the best and not as comfy as the Senn’s but more practical for work time listening.

Still tempted to try the Monolith MC1060C to see what a planar sounds like though.

OP
S

SiW

Got the 1060c - lost 2hrs just listening to old tracks.

Great sound and staging but headband wasn’t the most comfy (fine if I sat still).

Came in a massive storage case and box!

Top Bottom