• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Closed Headphone

WickedInsignia

Just reviewed the Beyerdynamic DT 700 PRO X (€ 250.-) for those that are interested in an improved DT770 with replaceable cable and better pads.
How do you feel about these in comparison to HM5? Slightly different price bracket but interested in your thoughts of where the HM5 sits in the grand scheme of things.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Comfort is very different.
Velour vs pleather, soft vs hard clamping force, round vs. oval pads, light vs heavy weight.
The one I have here (is from someone who sent it in to get measured) is now slightly modified with lowered bass and upper treble.
DT700X is more than twice as expensive.

I could buy both if I needed a closed and neutral headphone with 'good tonal properties' out of the box.
The HM5 is 'leaner' and 'clearer/more forward' sounding in direct comparison.
The (lightly modified) DT700 is 'full bodied' and less 'dynamic'/'clear' in presentation ('softer' more 'lush').
I would have a hard time picking one and the one I would prefer may not be what someone else prefers.
Depending on the mood I could be in and the recording I could have a preference for both sound signatures.
If you like to hear 'drum hits' a bit louder/dynamic the HM5 is the choice, when you want more 'relaxed' sound the DT700X.

I could live with both, that is if I had lowered the clamping force as that gave me a headache after a few hours in the DT700X.

Last edited:

WickedInsignia

The HM5 is 'leaner' and 'clearer/more forward' sounding in direct comparison.
I won't bother you too much more on this topic, but I did have just one last question regarding the HM5s:
I noticed they have a HD600-esque internal structure. How close would you say this is to the HD600 sound? And would you consider the timbre to be "correct" in a similar way?

Thanks so much for answering my questions on this! Your time is much appreciated.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Doesn't quite sound like the HD600/650.
I would say that the HD600/650 is better in sound quality.
Still... for a closed over-ear comfy headphone with extra pads, travel case and replaceable cable for under € 100.- the HM5 value is hard to beat.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I had seen Oratory's measurements elsewhere (I don't do twitter :)) including some comments he made about it.

Reactions: ADU
F

freemansteve

The Austrian Audio can NOT be used on balanced amplifiers. No idea why most manufacturers don't simply take balanced operation into consideration when designing the cable enty.

Most amps with a headphone-out socket are unbalanced - I run a 5m cable to my phones and see no sonic problems compared with plugging the phones directly into the socket in the amp - volume is deafening if I choose.

So, what is the worthwhile gain from running 6 wires (balanced left and balanced right) to headphones?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That would be 4 wires instead of 3 wires.

The benefit of balanced drive for high impedance headphones is with portable equipment that has a low power supply voltage (3V or 5V).
In this case balanced outputs can provide 4x the output power of a SE output. (+6dB is significant).
For very low impedance headphones 4 wires (does not even have to be balanced) can be beneficial in stereo imaging when a common return wire would add a common resistance.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just tested the OLLO Audio S4R (1.1).
A bit more expensive than DT700 PRO X but in a different league.

s4r-kl.jpg

fr-s4r.png

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
@Metronomy, I was recently looking for closed headphones.
Some criterions I had: 1) great sound 2) great comfort 3) very little sound leakage 4) made by a manufacturer which is great regarding replacement parts 5) durabilility.

Confer for instance Rtings regarding sound leakage measurements.
Even though my budget was high (ca $ 2500), I found it difficult to find such a product.
I ended up buying the in-ear headphones Sennheiser IE 300 costing $ 299.95 (that is they are OK regarding your budget).
Note that regarding comfort, they are better than the usual headphones because of the adjustable flexible ear hooks and the great comfort of the earplugs themselves.

Last edited:
OP
Metronomy

Metronomy

@Metronomy, I was recently looking for closed headphones.
Some criterions I had: 1) great sound 2) great comfort 3) very little sound leakage 4) made by a manufacturer which is great regarding replacement parts 5) durabilility.

Confer for instance Rtings regarding sound leakage measurements.
Even though my budget was high (ca $ 2500), I found it difficult to find such a product.
I ended up buying the in-ear headphones Sennheiser IE 300 costing $ 299.95 (that is they are OK regarding your budget).
They are fulfilling all my criterions, and the value for money is amazing.
Note that regarding comfort, they are much better than the usual headphones because of the adjustable flexible ear hooks and the great comfort of the earplugs themselves.
Do you know I can’t use in-ears? I have a very small ear hole and I don't get into any models I've tried so far, the latest TinHiFi model.

Thank you anyway!

paudio

I usually opt for IEMs but the X60 are by far the most comfortable set I've used out of all of them.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
haven't had these side by side.
AEON is very insensitive and low impedance (12ohm), OLLO is very sensitive and 32ohm.

I think comfort and room for earpads and microphony is better on AEON.

AEON is intended for music enjoyment side, OLLO is for the production side.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
haven't had these side by side.
AEON is very insensitive and low impedance (12ohm), OLLO is very sensitive and 32ohm.

I think comfort and room for earpads and microphony is better on AEON.

AEON is intended for music enjoyment side, OLLO is for the production side.
Thanks. Regarding the microphony. Isn´t the OLLO-cable possible to exchange for something different? (I understand micrphony it is not just about the cable, but the cable is in my experince often during use the most unavoidible to create microphony.) I am a bit tempted as you wrote on your website it reminds of SH600 etc.. I like the idea it has spareparts and seems to be made to last.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Good morning, I would need a closed headphone to use on the go, possibly foldable, fairly neutral sound signature, with good bass. I have already discarded a VModa 100. Budget 300 euros/dollars because I don't like the sound. I currently use an oppo pm3. What do you guys recommend?
Thanks
When it comes to a headphone to be used outside the home - when I'm on the go, I think noise cancellation is absolutely necessary. I use a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 3 which can be used either wirelessly or wired. Are there fairly cheap closed-back headphones that sound better? Absolutely. But for me, protecting my hearing is priority one. The advantage of Momentum and other similar headphones is that you can play at a fairly low level without outside noise taking over. And the Momentum 3 actually sounds really good, but is not a typically neutral headphone.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Thanks. Regarding the microphony. Isn´t the OLLO-cable possible to exchange for something different? (I understand micrphony it is not just about the cable, but the cable is in my experince often during use the most unavoidible to create microphony.) I am a bit tempted as you wrote on your website it reminds of SH600 etc.. I like the idea it has spareparts and seems to be made to last.

I made a cable from a cheap Philips headphone cable and soldered two 2.5mm TS plugs on it.
Lowers the microphony but the headband, cups and cable are still microphonic.

OLLO cable.JPG

Top Bottom