• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Closed Headphone

Metronomy

Good morning, I would need a closed headphone to use on the go, possibly foldable, fairly neutral sound signature, with good bass. I have already discarded a VModa 100. Budget 300 euros/dollars because I don't like the sound. I currently use an oppo pm3. What do you guys recommend?
Thanks

OP
Metronomy

Metronomy

I saw that, thank you. Have you listened to them? Maybe they don't fold though.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Listening to them for the last 2 days... no EQ.
Note treble quality is about similar as K371 with a filter. I compare them to 14 other closed headphones.
Certainly worth the price.
And no they don't fold but the headband is very short so it still is a small package and comes with a small case.
Below as I use them, underneath in transport mode (will not fit on the head this way)

hm5-kl.jpg

BWAVZ_HM5_HEADPHONES_04_5000x.jpg

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
OP
Metronomy

Metronomy

Well you know the PM3 is very good, I wanted something to use on the go and when I go to the gym, unfortunately the PM3 slips on my head.

OP
Metronomy

Metronomy

AA Hi-X60 build quality will be better... the sound... haven't seen measurements yet.
D20F1A11-CF9A-4F42-A413-92F2B96E9693.jpeg

116AA30C-B1A7-4053-97AA-76FEE95D6B16.jpeg

It looks like an advanced Akg 371, lots of metal parts where needed, possibility to easily change the cable.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Build quality looks a bit like Master&Dynamic.

This one is probably close to the Hi-X65 but probably more bass ? (about the same price)
When your budget ca be stretched to the Hi-60 and the build quality is important then you could try the Hi-60.
Possibly from a retailer that allows you to send it back.

Last edited:
OP
Metronomy

Metronomy

Build quality looks a bit like Master&Dynamic.

This one is probably close to the Hi-X65 but probably more bass ? (about the same price)
When your budget ca be stretched to the Hi-60 and the build quality is important then you could try the Hi-60.
Possibly from a retailer that allows you to send it back.
Found on "musical instruments" possibility of refund, 310 euros, the model 65 is open back.
I had also evaluated the Dan Clark Aeon Rt, because I thought they had made a model less difficult to drive, but I saw that the efficiency is the same as the premium model, so I could not drive it with my ifi go blue, although I thought that having also the Gryphon I could make them sound decent. But I need a little more efficiency.

OP
Metronomy

Metronomy

In the end I ordered the Austrian Audio 60s, they will arrive in 3 days from Germany.

OP
Metronomy

Metronomy

Hello, I thought about replacing the Austrian Audio cable, I have a Forza Audio Works Copper Series HPC Mk2 which has a 4.4 pentaconn and 3.5 single termination, it uses it for the Oppo Pm3, but the x60 has a 2.5 termination. I was wondering if: the fact of using the 4.4 however does not make the headphone balanced, which has a single jack, and if there was a 60/80 euro budget cable with the terminations mentioned.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Austrian Audio can NOT be used on balanced amplifiers. No idea why most manufacturers don't simply take balanced operation into consideration when designing the cable enty. Balanced operation can be very handy for low internal voltage rail portable devices.
The cable is terminated in TRS inside the Hi-X60 so has a common return wire.

The fun bit of the Pentaconn (which has 5 connections) is that this connector can be used both balanced (uses 4 wires) and not balanced.
In the latter case the 5th connection is used as common return wire and the positive signals are used so 3 wires in total.

One would assume an amp sporting the Pentaconn connector can be used balanced and SE. There is no 'gain' between Pentaconn and 6.3 and 3.5m TRS cables. Only convenience. And even that can be disputed because there aren't many amps yet that only have Pentaconn and there aren't any headphones that only have Pentaconn.

OP
Metronomy

Metronomy

However, a somewhat nice 3.5 to 2.5 cable I haven't found yet. So on a whim, Audio Works doesn't terminate in 2.5 headphones. We'll look...

OP
Metronomy

Metronomy

I got the Austrian Audio x30. I'm very happy both in terms of sound and for their comfort and isolation, a lot of air around, they don't look like a closed model, maybe I don't have trained ears but I don't feel the graininess of the averages, in fact they are delicious, they look a bit like Focal headphones.

The only cable that with bayonet connection precludes an upgrade.

WickedInsignia

For around € 90,- there is the Brainwavz HM5.
Totally usable without EQ.
Less bass than M100, a bit comparable to K371
I’m wondering how old your pair is? There’s some word online that they changed the sound of the HM5 to be a little brighter a few years ago. Your review of these was great, so just hoping if I bought them that they won’t sound entirely different!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Its spanking new bought directly from Brainwavz.

Top Bottom