• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Closed headphone recommendations

bt3

Living out of necessity where traffic noise rather onerous. Need make do with this situation for another year or two. Enjoy my headphone setup of HD-650 and RME dac/headphone amplifier, but like to zero-in on a very good closed-back headphone (new or used) which is comfortable for long listening sessions (I like opera, classical, Jazz, world music mostly). I have a small, narrow head and favor less bulky/weighty headphone with generous openings for ears. Budget is maximum $1500 or (preferably) less. Currently own set of Audio Technica ATH-MSR7b closed headphones, but hoping to better those within budget. Previously owned Ether C and Aeon Flow Closed. Those were rather large (though weight-wise quite acceptable).

Last edited:

Koloth

To start you off:

Shure SRH-1540
Focal Elegia

JVC used to make supposedly awesome closed headphones, not sure if they're still in the market. Else the Pioneer Monitor 5 might be worth a look.

jhwalker

IIRC the Elegia go on sale for $500, though some bassheads have found them lacking.

I can't imagine - to me they sound virtually cavernous, with TONS of bass, and they take equalization well. But I'm definitely NOT a "basshead"; i.e., I like my bass accurate, not overblown.

That said, since I got the new Aeon 2 Closed, the Elegia's have been languishing a bit - need to give them a bit of love this weekend!

OP
bt3

bt3

Thanks for the feedback/recommendations. Pretty much aware of all mentioned. Nothing really therein fits my head size/comfort/needs. Considering age/hearing losses, most likely throw in towel, sell the MSR7b's, the RME dac/amp and acquire WH-1000XM4's and Element II (when JDS have their DSD-over-PCM firmware installed and ready to go). Far from SOTA, but at well under $1000, more sensible given my hearing acuity and priority for good isolation from outside noise. The HD6xx I'm keeping for times I'm up at 2am and it's quiet enough outside to enjoy them w/the Element II ( c;

Last edited:

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon AH-D9200!

I should probably add - don't poo-poo these because of the name "Denon." I currently have the HD800 w/HDR mod, the Ether Flow open, HE1000v2, and previously owned the SR-009, SR-007MK1, Aeon Open, and a bunch of other cans, and I can honestly say that these Denons are damn good and can hold their own with any of these.
They have reasonably good isolation, they're extremely well built, they look awesome, and they're small and lightweight.

OP
bt3

bt3

I should probably add - don't poo-poo these because of the name "Denon." I currently have the HD800 w/HDR mod, the Ether Flow open, HE1000v2, and previously owned the SR-009, SR-007MK1, Aeon Open, and a bunch of other cans, and I can honestly say that these Denons are damn good and can hold their own with any of these.
They have reasonably good isolation, they're extremely well built, they look awesome, and they're small and lightweight.
Thank you for taking time to comment. When Denon AH-D7200 first appeared and was only available from sellers outside US, ordered a pair from UK seller. They were pretty decent, but on my small head they were huge. I returned them. While not the AH-D9200, they were very similar design/appearance/weight. At $1500 possibly minus 5-10% some dealers offer, the AH-D9200 rather expense (yes understand many in this hobby don't blink at prices of Abyss headphones). The only headphones that really fit my head well, are comfortable and stable - are Bose QC25-QC35, Audio Technica MSR7/MSR7b and Sennheiser HD650/600 (and other Sennheiser models with similar build/earcups/pads/headband). So those Sennheiser's are only really decent phones for serious audio listening, though MSR7b can do if the hot treble is tamed through EQ. The Sennheiser "clamp" out-of-box is perfect for me and I wish they did NOT loosen-up with extended use. I emailed Dan Clark years ago asking him to consider manufacturing a more compact model. I never received a reply. Sizing in most things is tilted towards the large. Us small folks know this all to well. Everyone is aware of the increasing weight and girth of Americans as it is obvious. Those of us who are old enough remember when small sizes were easier to find. If I have opportunity to listen to the AH-D9200, will be ready to do so, but would only purchase used at large discount off SRP.

Last edited:

RighteousNuts

Th900mk2 is a Solid choice. Fostex in general is gold.

phrwn

... and acquire WH-1000XM4's ...
Have you considered other wireless options? Audeze Mobius, Drop Panda or various Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Beyer-Dynamic equivalents?
I don't have a recommendation, but just wondering because I've got Pandas on order, with an expected ship date of mid-November, so am scouting about for alternatives in the meantime.

OP
bt3

bt3

Have you considered other wireless options? Audeze Mobius, Drop Panda or various Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Beyer-Dynamic equivalents?
I don't have a recommendation, but just wondering because I've got Pandas on order, with an expected ship date of mid-November, so am scouting about for alternatives in the meantime.

Hope the Panda's workout for you. The design bears similar appearance to old Oppo PM3 headphones which I once owned. Watched for Panda reviews over at Drop. There were a few reviews outside Drop online. Interesting how Drop (aka Massdrop) really consolidated down their offerings. If sales aren't there though, they did right to carry only that which sells enough to meet or exceed their profit margin.

Top Bottom