• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[closed] Electronics Review index (v2): updates and feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that it would be useful to have some additional filters; however, through testing it was determined that the number of filters we used was causing substantial performance lag. So we determined it was best to remove some of the non-critical filters as a short term workaround to get the use of filters to an acceptable level of performance. There is another round of more detailed performance testing that I still need to complete, and I'm trying to find the time to do that.

As for opening the review links: you are right, this is not the ideal process. Some of the points you bring up have been on our enhancement list for quite a while. We are limited by the core functionality of Tableau. I continue to search their forums and elsewhere to find solutions / workarounds for issues like links not opening in unique tabs. Over time -- whether through functional updates with the Tableau platform or via implementation of workarounds -- I hope to be able to resolve most of these.

Adahn

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that it would be useful to have some additional filters; however, through testing it was determined that the number of filters we used was causing substantial performance lag. So we determined it was best to remove some of the non-critical filters as a short term workaround to get the use of filters to an acceptable level of performance. There is another round of more detailed performance testing that I still need to complete, and I'm trying to find the time to do that.

As for opening the review links: you are right, this is not the ideal process. Some of the points you bring up have been on our enhancement list for quite a while. We are limited by the core functionality of Tableau. I continue to search their forums and elsewhere to find solutions / workarounds for issues like links not opening in unique tabs. Over time -- whether through functional updates with the Tableau platform or via implementation of workarounds -- I hope to be able to resolve most of these.

I think tableau might not be the right tool for the job, but web development never been my strong suit. The graphical analysis it provides is kinda cool, but shouldn't be in the expense of functionality. Even with the latest changes it's still very very slow and unresponsive.

I suppose you considered migrating to a more traditional sql type of database at least for the rankings?

OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
The backend data / database is not a bottleneck given the incredibly small amount of data we're dealing. So I do not anticipate we'll be moving to a formal relational DB structure as it wouldn't provide any benefit.

I certainly understand your frustration with the tool as it's currently implemented. I will admit that some of the issues may be the result of my own lack of knowledge about the deep inner workings of Tableau. But as with most things we have to take into account time + cost. Moving to a new platform may be necessary; however, that would involve a significant cost increase for ASR and must be weighed against the other priorities for this community such as test rigs, getting/sending equipment for testing, etc.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
There were a few recent changes @RickSanchez made by my request I'd like to highlight.

I've added five new sortable measurement values to the database. These are SINAD referenced to maximum continuous power output into a specified load, which applies to headphone amps and speaker amps.
1614784050680.png
Take Amir's Benchmark AHB2 measurement. You see below 184.9W at the clipping point of 0.000161% THD+N. I've converted % to dB, rounding to the thousandths place: -115.863dB. THD+N is the inverse of SINAD, so all that needs to be done to get a value comparable to the rest of the database is to remove the negative sign.
If selecting the relevant metric from the dropdown, you get these results in the Rankings dash (note that the listed value is rounded to the nearest integer while the bar length is proportional to the absolute value):
So now comparison should be a little easier. Hopefully I didn't make too many mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom