• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Closed back headphones under $1000 for movies and series

I'm looking for a pair of over the ear closed back headphones under $1000. I binge watch a lot of movies and series and sometimes listen to music. The source is my PC motherboard's integrated audio but I plan on replacing it with a DAC/Amp. The budget of $1000 is only for the headphones.

I thought of getting the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire but wanted to ask you guys about other suggestions in this price range before pulling the trigger.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AKG K371. Read the review here at ASR.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire. Good soundstage for a closed 'phone and deep bass for the movie FX.

You'll need an amp for it, but it looks like you've already got that budgeted.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought the Focal Elegia was good, and the fit and finish on them is like something a movie star would wear. Best materials I've seen/felt on a pair of headphones. They're kind of well rounded and not at all bright or too warm. I wouldn't game with them but I'd watch movies all day long. The email link price they're $329 at Adorama. The Beyerdynamic DT17xx was really good for movies and music too, they're 32 ohm so they won't need an amplifier, maybe just an extension cable if you need more length. Onboard sound with Windows enhancements disabled made these sound really nice. The AKG K371Pro is really good too, don't get the regular version (bland sounding) or the wireless version (tuned for battery life). The K371Pro is the one to have. For movies I use the Bowers & Wilkins PX7 Carbon edition and they're really great since I watch from a Firetv box with bluetooth built in. It fast charges in 10-15 mins for six hours of playback time, and the auto on/off when you take them off or put them on is really convenient. I like the sound as much as our Bose Quietcomfort II 35, but they feel much more durable.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The AKG K371Pro is really good too, don't get the regular version (bland sounding) or the wireless version (tuned for battery life). The K371Pro is the one to have.
Where did you see a K371Pro? Even on the AKG home page there is only K371 and K371-BT.

Top Bottom