• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CLosed back headphone consideration

EGrunt

As the title says I am looking to buy or should I say upgrade to a new closed back headphone. This all started when my trusty Astro A50's (last generation) that I bought back in 2017 stopped holding a charge last month. So I started looking for a new gaming headset. I tried several current headsets: Corsair Virtuoso XT, Astro A50 (current version), and Steel Series Arctis Pro wireless with DAC. I was not happy with the sound quality of Astro A50 new version ( sounded dull even with EQ), Corsair Virtuoso XT (uncomfortable to wear and missing in the mids with EQ). The Steel Series sounded the best but have QC issues with the headband breaking wear it attaches at the headphone speaker. The Steel Series were the most expensive at $350.

Finding myself not talking with other players while gaming I decided a mic was not important. I already have the Apple Airpods Max I use around the house doing yard work, washing the vehicle, and so forth. I have even used them for gaming and they could fill the bill.

I however purchased the Sennheiser HD660S (open back) and I enjoy them once I EQ them. I like the "V" configuration on the EQ dating all the back to the early 80's. Without EQ they sound dull. Immediately my wife of 35+ years told me she could hear them and she was in the other room. It is quiet in the house and the volume was not that loud at least I thought it was not. I like the sound quality of the 660S over the Apple Airpod Max (AAM) but the AAM have more bass which I like.

So as they say, "Happy wife happy life". I am now looking for a nice closed back headphone. Over then past two weeks I have read this forum, Hi-Fi Org forum, and watched countless reviews on Youtube. The sound of speakers and headphones is subjective. Back in the late 80's I installed MB Quart QSD-216's component speakers in the front doors of my vehicle powered by a Rockford Fosgate HD75 amp and I enjoyed the speakers but my wife insisted the tweeter was too harsh / bright for her ears.

The headphones I am considering are the Denon AH-9200, Audeze LCD-XC, Sennheiser HD820, Meze Audio Lirac, and Sony MDR-Z1R. The order I listed the aforementioned HP are in the order I am considering.

Dank Clark Audio’s main office is about 40 miles from my residence since I reside within San Diego County. There is no mention of store front at his San Diego location. As with the aforementioned HP’s I do not have the ability to listen to them and have to purchase and then listen.

Currently I am using a Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 Plus sound card to connect the 660's, the software for the AE-5 has a EQ and I enjoy the sound quality with no unwanted noise. I have the EQ adjusted in the V configuration. There is no hiss and it is quiet when the volume is in its lowest volume setting. I also have a OPPO-UDP205 that is connected to my main cave audio system. In storage I have a Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC I can use if needed.

I stream Tidal and listen to iTunes and various CD's over 1000 that I have collected over the years.

I can see myself using the HP in the future to listen to my music collection and not just for PC gaming. I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks.

Hewbacca

Highly recommend getting a desktop microphone and using "normal" headphones for gaming. Gaming headsets are all pretty bad and much more expensive than what I'm suggesting. Sounds like you're already off of the gaming headset idea, but if you do need a mic, I recommend getting a mic and not a headset. I use a HyperX SoloCast ($50) for gaming, it works great. You can also get a mic that attaches to normal headphone (AntLion is one maker, I believe, but I have no experience with these).

As for the actual headphones, closed back headphone selection is limited. I have Dan Clark Aeon X Closed that are great and I recommend. I know they aren't on your list but you mentioned DCA. I haven't listened to any of the other headphones you mentioned, but I'll add two other things. 1) don't necessarily look for headphones that have the V tuning if you are going to use EQ anyway. I think most "good" headphones strive for a neutral tuning, so if you only look at things that are V-shaped you may rule out good choices. 2) Have you tried IEMs? I find the price to performance ratio of IEMs to be off the charts, and they have better isolation than closed-back headphones. There also happen to be a lot more choices for IEMs than closed-back headphones, and many that are V-shaped by default.

Lastly, if I was going to buy closed back headphones other than the DCAs I have now, I think I would get AKG K371s. They are pretty affordable and very well-reviewed. Price has almost no correlation to performance in this hobby (adding this since you are coming from gaming headsets so may not have discovered this for yourself yet), so I wouldn't worry that they are "worse" than the others you're considering.

Hope any of this helps even though it is not directly related to your list of cans you're considering.

Top Bottom