• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cleaning up my mess

ChrisH

Roughly 3 years ago I put together three amp kits from ClassDaudio.com. I used these to run my 3 way active system. Initially, I screwed everything to a nice sheet of aluminum, and ran all 3 amps with one power cord, and one receptacle. This made for a rats nest of wires. See below:
zs9iYhi.jpg

To something a bit more clean:
63jtx86.jpg

cmnEzUc.jpg

CEpUjCE.jpg

The cases came from par-metal.com and were $53.00. They are very nice for the price, and they match my mains as a bonus.

I think there are some changes to the sound of my system. Though I wonder how much is bias, versus having everything properly wired and soldered. Soldering is not something I am very adept at. If anyone sees any bad wiring, please let me know so I can fix it.

OP
C

ChrisH

They look very good. Don't see anything objectionable from soldering point of view. Like the nice and tidy crimp connectors everywhere.
To be honest, I did nothing more than run the wires and crimps the ends. The soldering was done by a small electronics firm where I live. For a minimum charge, they were kind enough to solder the RCA Jacks, and my Raal tweeters. I was always concerned that the soldering I did myself wasn't the best, and since I had torched one of my Raal ribbons, it was time to get everything done right.

Scott Munks

I NEED HELP PLEASE !
I recently bought a Rotel RB-990BX amplifier. It will power up, but has no output. It stays in "Protection" mode even without having a load (speakers connected) to it. No fuses have blown. ANY SUGGESTIONS ???

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Probably worth a new thread instead of adding to this one... There are some good folk who might be able to help. I'd need a schematic. I would double check the area around the amplifier outputs to ensure there are no stray wires (had one sneaky strand give me grief once upon a time; I had to use a flash and barely saw the glint of the wire), unplug it for about 5-10 minutes, and try one last time. If not, may be time to find a good repair tech, depending on your level of expertise and available test equipment. Shorted outputs will (try to) pull the output to the supply rails and the amp will usually sense the DC offset at the output and immediately shut down. Open feedback loops will often cause a screech before it shuts down. Bad bias circuits could upset things, depends on what the protection circuit is actually sensing.

Top Bottom