• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cleaning Headphones with Air

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a fairly powerful air duster that I would like to use to clean my HD800S. Any concerns I should have about doing this? (The device blows air out only).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BI4UQK0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1617309376698.png

OP
Racheski

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And just to be clear, this is not an April Fool's joke. I am considering doing this...

edahl

I'd be worried about doing this on a planar. Dynamic drivers will likely handle it better, but I pertains personally wouldn't really risk it

OP
Racheski

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the response...someone actually cares! I already did it on the HD800S and all seems well, but I'll avoid my planars per your advice.

AlexHRider

i use a shaving brush to clean headphones.. i'd rather not stress way too much the drivers with blower/vacuum..

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
High pressure air is great for lots of things, but not for headphone drivers, pads or the damping material inside.

Go to a store that sells makeup brushes and stuff for girls and get the biggest, softest and nice feeling natural hair makeup brush you can find. I think they are called "blushers".

This one was given to me new by an ex many years ago as it was one from a set she'd never use. I know it was fuggin' expensive but it's been my HiFi brush for decades. Don't use an old one- it'll be full of powder and stuff. Put it in your HiFi drawer and hide it, or your partner might steal it if it's a really good one. :)

makeup brush (2).jpeg

makeup brush (1).jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Racheski

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotcha. Ordered a similar looking brush for $10 on Amazon.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Moral of this thread
Why do you need a xPOWER 500w device when you can do the same gently, with a bit of manual work and patience ?

1617524232023.png

OP
Racheski

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Moral of this thread
Why do you need a xPOWER 500w device when you can do the same gently, with a bit of manual work and patience ?

View attachment 121923
I use it primarily for other purposes, like dusting out my computer and keyboard. Works extremely well for that and I’m not wasting cans of compressed air.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use it primarily for other purposes, like dusting out my computer and keyboard. Works extremely well for that and I’m not wasting cans of compressed air.

I was just teasing you ;)

Top Bottom