• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Clean and noiseless USB charger 5V/3A

przemnet

Hello,

I'm looking for a clean and noiseless USB charger 5V / 3A.

I've heard that Xiaomi 33W charger is considered to be clean but I haven't found any measurements of it so I'm not able to confirm / deny...

I'm not talking about iFi iPower or Allo Nirvana power supplies but typical USB phone chargers.

Do you have any recommendations?

Looking forward,
Przemek

Reactions: nhs

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
What are you aiming to power with it, and are there any other requirements like Power Delivery compliance? Is there a specific problem you're trying to solve?

OP
P

przemnet

What are you aiming to power with it, and are there any other requirements like Power Delivery compliance? Is there a specific problem you're trying to solve?
Just want to have noiseless and clean power supply - nothing more ;-) BTW, I've seen below video ;-)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
USB phone chargers won't be clean and noiseless because they have no reason to be, and it would add unnecessary cost and bulk. That shouldn't matter though - anyone designing to use USB power (which I assume is what you're aiming for) knows this, and designs with it in mind. Small headphone dongles have an excuse - they may not have space to do as much power supply conditioning as they would like - but they get power from the USB port not the charger anyway. I'd suggest a charger from a reputable brand, bought from somewhere that's not going to be selling fakes, because they should at least have gone through proper certification. The Xiaomi you mention is probably in this category. The safety issues in some fakes and cheap chargers make them a lottery.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
A decent lab power supply should provide clean power. The techs here at ASR will probably know wich ones are best.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

Tangband

Major Contributor
One has to remember that every power supply thats connected to the mains are gonna, without exceptions, contaminate all other power supplies thats connected to the same outlet. Does it matter ? It depends. The effect is sometimes heard , and both switchers ( HF pollution ) or linear supplies ( diodes, magnetical pollution ) are guilty of some contamination.

Battery or power banks dont do that at all , but they can also be somewhat noisy.

Last edited:
OP
P

przemnet

If you just need USB power, you could use a decent quality DC power supply with an adapter, something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184890885169?hash=item2b0c5b0431:g:-ocAAOSwso5gydxU

Mean Well are well known and you often see their power supplies in audio products: https://www.powersuppliesonline.co.uk/power-adapters/gsm18b05-p1j-15w-5v-3a-power-adapter.html

I'm using a similar combination to power a Raspberry Pi.
Thanks a lot ;-) I'm looking for a power supply for my Raspberry Pi 4 and I think I will use the one you recommend ;-)

Last edited:

HSken

Hello,

Been looking into the same thing, considering building my own streamer/dac, there are a few youtube video's going really deep into it, some use batteries, others Ultra capacitors, some both in compex combo's, most of them refer to parts of IanCanada, he has some nice parts: More info here on his github
But be carefull, I found out quickly that going this way will not be easy and won't save you any money :facepalm:.

Some example builds:

More basic:

Top Bottom