• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Classix II Measurements + Review

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nothing too crazy here, just some outdoor measurements of the Classix II DIY speakers since there really aren't any out there. Speaker was way up on a ladder, about 10ft, well away from any other boundaries. Mic EMM6 without calibration 1m away from baffle, capsule between woofer and tweeter.

Noticed a few things, something is cancelling at just above 1khz, that notch is actually deep unsmoothed. I assume it is from a port resonance.

Behavior in the mid range is strange, seems maybe one of my components values is slightly off. You've got that peak then a dip between 2 and 4k, but it's shifted it up on one speaker it seems. Off axis measurements show a bit of a boost at 2.5khz, could that be the baffle diffraction? I have them rounded but it's a very small roundover.

Listening Impressions - I've had these for awhile now, the weather is starting to get better so I can actually put a finish on them. In the meantime they've sat bare in the living room. I really enjoyed these speakers at first, and I can say after about 5 months of using them, I still really enjoy them. I don't really have any complaints with them, they just sound nice. They make some harsh modern recordings quite listenable. I believe that was a claim made by the designer. Paired with an aiyima a07 + the PE kit and flatpack, it's a very nice package, but we have some seriously good budget monitors today that make some DIY almost not worth it. I myself ventured into the DIY passive speaker world because powered speaker hiss was getting annoying so that might be a worthwhile selling point. I think this speaker is for people who endlessly tweak their EQ's and are never happy. I don't feel the need to do anything to these.

lr on axis.png

off axis spread.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom