• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Classical Warhorse Recommendations

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Not a classical music fan, unfortunately, because I am told that this genre of music is generally well recorded, mixed, and mastered. Whatever albums you seek can be run through the Dynamic Range Database to find good CD pressings.**

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=&album=

Of course the challenge is that the composers/compositions are not always well catalogued, which I understand is a particular challenge in this genre of music.

**The MAAT software that creates database entries was designed for digital music. It can measure analog sources but the DR results aren't very accurate because of how it reads the dynamic range relative to higher noise floors.

Last edited:

Daverz

Major Contributor
Not a classical music fan, unfortunately, because I am told that this genre of music is generally well recorded, mixed, and mastered. Whatever albums you seek can be run through the Dynamic Range Database to find good CD pressings.**

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=&album=

Of course the challenge is that the composers/compositions are not always well catalogued, which I understand is a particular challenge in this genre of music.

**The MAAT software that creates database entries was designed for digital music. It can measure analog sources but the DR results aren't very accurate because of how it reads the dynamic range relative to higher noise floors.

The DR thing is meant to catch the use of digital clipping as a tool to increase loudness. This hasn't really been an issue for classical recordings*, where the usual bugbear for collectors is overfiltering of transfers from analog. However, Archimago has documented a recent disturbing case of digital clipping being used by Warner Classics:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/03/musings-lets-talk-about-roon-16-and-dsp.html

* Apart from the occasional mistake from recording engineers who let a few samples of digital clipping get by. Usually this is not audible, though.

raif71

Major Contributor
Don't see anyone mentioning the Hooked on Classics series. Yeah, yeah it is not considered true classical for serious listeners but this got me started on listening seriously at Beethoven, Schubert, Tchaikovsky etc. Also of notable mention is Waldo de los rios' rendition of Mozart Symphony 40 and other works.... You can check out Hooked on Classics and Waldo de los rios on youtube...just for a taste ;)

Swtoby

Thanks!

Some I'm wondering if I should have added:

Sibelius: Finlandia
Stravinsky: Firebird
Copland: Third Symphony
Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra
Britten: War Requiem
For the Copland, I'd recommend Minnesota Orchestra/Oue on Reference. That comes with a solid Appalachian Spring and Fanfare for the Common Man.

For the Bartok: Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony.

Last edited:

JS Hoover

The original way the since-"cult legend", 1954 stereo recording of Berlioz' SF by Munch and the BSO happened to come out (which, had never been released on record -the record was of a 1962 performance- and took until 2006 to get any kind of digital transfer). It's not that great technically, though, of a recording (you can hear the traffic outside the building a lot, for example) and: the interpretation is typical Munch-era BSO "atmospheric" and "polite" (vs. other, later versions almost focusing more on turning it into some-sort of 19th century schizoid psychedelic "trip").
20191019_182200~2.jpg
20191019_182521~2.jpg20191019_183047.jpg
This Bernstein from the late-'50s Rhapsody in Blue was mentioned earlier and, yes, it is enthusiastically played by Lenny himself (as well, of course: the "Columbia Symphony Orchestra" really being just a thin disguise for about half the NY Phil. regulars backing their familiar conductor here). This, originally, was a two-track recording and for much of the analog era: it always sounded like it was transferred on the wrong equipment (4 track machines) with the channels out of balance and favoring the left one more. Digital versions of the CBS Masterworks/Sony Classics are (probably) no-noised-to-death however (another notable Bernstein/NY Phil. recording from this same period is the Romeo & Juliet/Marche Slave combination...but the cd -of that- is just so smothered in NR, there is no airy treble brilliance left in it at all).
20191019_175242~2.jpg
20191019_175653.jpg

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty much anything recorded by Emil Gilels when it comes to piano works.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The original way the since-"cult legend", 1954 stereo recording of Berlioz' SF by Munch and the BSO happened to come out (which, had never been released on record -the record was of a 1962 performance- and took until 2006 to get any kind of digital transfer). It's not that great technically, though, of a recording (you can hear the traffic outside the building a lot, for example) and: the interpretation is typical Munch-era BSO "atmospheric" and "polite" (vs. other, later versions almost focusing more on turning it into some-sort of 19th century schizoid psychedelic "trip").View attachment 39553View attachment 39554View attachment 39555
This Bernstein from the late-'50s Rhapsody in Blue was mentioned earlier and, yes, it is enthusiastically played by Lenny himself (as well, of course: the "Columbia Symphony Orchestra" really being just a thin disguise for about half the NY Phil. regulars backing their familiar conductor here). This, originally, was a two-track recording and for much of the analog era: it always sounded like it was transferred on the wrong equipment (4 track machines) with the channels out of balance and favoring the left one more. Digital versions of the CBS Masterworks/Sony Classics are (probably) no-noised-to-death however (another notable Bernstein/NY Phil. recording from this same period is the Romeo & Juliet/Marche Slave combination...but the cd -of that- is just so smothered in NR, there is no airy treble brilliance left in it at all).
View attachment 39556View attachment 39557
I've owned LP copies of the earlier Munch "Symphonie Fantastique", so I have no idea what JS Hoover is talking about:

1954 [issued later, obviously, but still during the "Shaded Dog" era]:
81skVPjsGmL._SY355_.jpg

1962:

1962rotmnumber1.promo_.jpg

My favorite:

91KPuoRaAPL._SL1500_.jpg

Daverz

Major Contributor
I've owned LP copies of the earlier Munch "Symphonie Fantastique", so I have no idea what JS Hoover is talking about:

He means it only came out in stereo on tape in that era. If discogs.com is to be believed, there wasn't a stereo LP release until the 80s. I think that cover photo is from a much later 1994 LP reissue (apologies if it is from an actual Living Stereo era Lp copy and discogs is wrong.).

https://www.popsike.com/sealed-Clas...ue-Munch-BSO-numbered-12221/152337342575.html

I have the 1954 recording in an 8-CD "Munch Conducts Berlioz" box from 1996.

Though I prefer the better sounding 1962 recording, I've never heard the 1954 recording described as "polite".

Last edited:

JS Hoover

Robin L

Master Contributor
That's a Classic Records 1994/1995 created release. The stereo recording of the RCA 1954 version never existed on vinyl before then.
I guess my confusion comes from listening to the SACD of the earlier recording so many times. I also recall owning the LP, though I guess it was in mono.

I'll still flog the actively strange and very exciting Argenta/Paris Conservatoire Orchestra version as one of the most psychedelic versions of this work I've heard. The sound is so different from the bulk of modern orchestras, it's almost like a HIP version, with a very different brass sound than any other.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I guess my confusion comes from listening to the SACD of the earlier recording so many times. I also recall owning the LP, though I guess it was in mono.

I'll still flog the actively strange and very exciting Argenta/Paris Conservatoire Orchestra version as one of the most psychedelic versions of this work I've heard. The sound is so different from the bulk of modern orchestras, it's almost like a HIP version, with a very different brass sound than any other.

I have the Argenta Fantastique on a London Stereo Treasury Lp. However, my pre-amp is not hooked up, and I'm too lazy to bother.

Qobuz and Tidal to the rescue:

https://open.qobuz.com/album/0002894757747
https://tidal.com/browse/album/4475342

BTW, I was really impressed with the recent Les Siecles recording

Robin L

Master Contributor

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
First, a sincere thank you to all, especially the OP, for this thread. It has brought back long ignored memories.

No one mentioned Toscanini, still my favorite conductor. I recall being in tears when he died in 1957... I had listened to his work on an RCA radio during Middle School and on, to this day.

Does anybody recall Hugh Lampman’s “Music ‘till Dawn” out of Dallas in the ’50s? Light classics for the Night Owls.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Does anyone have a favorite for Beethoven’s string quartets, other than the Budapest String Quartet?

Daverz

Major Contributor

Robin L

Master Contributor
Does anyone have a favorite for Beethoven’s string quartets, other than the Budapest String Quartet?
The Budapest String Quartet never was my favorite, probably due to being introduced to the group via their stereo recordings, made late in a very long career. My current favorite is the Takács Quartet, recorded for Decca. Managed to find the set at Rasputin's in Fresno, something like $8.00 [used obviously] for the complete set, CDs plus a Blu-Ray with the entire set on one disc. The Takács Quartet manages a big, symphonic sound. Everything is in place, production quality is about as high as it gets.

I mostly focus on the "Late" quartets, have many favorite versions. The old Busch quartet recordings from the 1930's have the most soul, possessing an affect akin to folk music.

The Guarneri Quartet re-recorded the set for Philips, making the music sound like it was composed in the late 19th century to good effect:

The Quartetto Italiano made an exceptional set for Philips in the 1960s, very rich sound, probably my favorite recording of the # 12, op 127 in E♭ major:

The Smetana quartet was the first to make a digital recording of Beethoven's string quartets, but it's the 1960s recordings of the Late Quartets that is worth seeking. Supraphon reissued that set a couple of decades ago, fine-grained playing, decent audio engineering:

Also want to put in a good word for the Cleveland Quartet's second set of recordings of the quartets for Telarc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom