• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Classical Musicians Review Apple Airpods Max

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You're wrong because you don't understand incentive. Anyone can make a blog focusing solely on Apple products and generate a ton of views, and revenue.
Apple have strong following along with a refined marketing strategy as it stands. It would hurt their brand to make blatant infomercials, that's why they never made them. Content creeators are incentivised to give them PR for free and that serves to boost Apples image of authenticity and distills the pull factor of word by mouth. It all works in their favor, that's why it's done that way.
Get a clue.
Please dial down the personal tone. We don't speak to each other this way in this forum.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Produced by Apple, its a commercial right? They remind me of the ears we had to wear, or were supposed to wear on the Flight Deck.
Not produced by Apple but by a news website/blog, AppleInsider, which is kind of like TechCrunch or Gizmodo but focusing mainly on Apple products. Just one voice among many, take or leave what they say.

nerdstrike

As a long-time classical musician, I don't claim to be able to spot audio artifacts better than anyone else.

We learn to be hyper-sensitive to tuning and dissonance (which are part of the performance and not the recording). We also get better at unpicking heavily layered music to isolate specific instruments or understand an effect better. We are really good at spotting differences in pieces we have played and know inside out, but again this relates more to the performance.

We are therefore likely to be above average at spotting new detail in a frequency range (that was perhaps hidden by frequency response or distortion), and perhaps good at focussing attention to music for longer, but that's all folks.

A bassist probably likes to hear more of the lower ranges because that's where they sit when they're playing. God knows what the "mix" sounds like for the piccolo. I even wonder if we become more tolerant to timing issues because there is as much as a 30ms delay across the orchestra and triple that in some weird venues where you have a choir.

markanini

Major Contributor
Not produced by Apple but by a news website/blog, AppleInsider, which is kind of like TechCrunch or Gizmodo but focusing mainly on Apple products. Just one voice among many, take or leave what they say.
Reminds me of people who get mad at telemarketers. Meanwhile their mobile, cable and electrical plan is insanely overpriced for that they use.

Darwin

You're wrong because you don't understand incentive. Anyone can make a blog focusing solely on Apple products and generate a ton of views, and revenue.
Apple have strong following along with a refined marketing strategy as it stands. It would hurt their brand to make blatant infomercials, that's why they never made them. Content creeators are incentivised to give them PR for free and that serves to boost Apples image of authenticity and distills the pull factor of word by mouth. It all works in their favor, that's why it's done that way.
Get a clue.

This thread makes it very clear what is wrong with some audiophiles. How pathetic.

markanini

Major Contributor
Sounds like you want to act like I'm praising the practice rather than describing how it's executed. Sorry if the truth hurts. The market is driven by branding and appearance. If you want to base your own purchases and objectivity and give advice to friends about objectivity in audio it doesn't hurt to know how overpriced mainstream products get hyped up.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can fully understand why people would try these and be impressed, hype aside I also found myself being seriously impressed by the sound quality when I tried them. I was less impressed with the design (heavy and bulky for ANC headphones with a poor case design) and think they are expensive next to alternatives from Bose and Sony. But, I can say I would happily listen to music on these and not feel I was losing anything and completely get why many will fall for them.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Musicians are a mediocre choice. Although they create the art we consume, they have no say at how it is reproduced at all.
I’ve worked in IT with Conservatorium music teachers, and spent time with classical musicians. They can be very skilled listeners. I’ve been present several times to see a musician give a highly detailed dissection of a performance from a lossy recording or low res video played back on laptop speakers- it’s humbling to realise that everything important is still there to be heard!

The few I’ve known with audiophile tendencies mostly wouldn’t fit in but there are bound to be some. The lesson I learnt, from that cohort is that a good system cannot save a poor performance. Musicality happens before the microphone. In other ways they split across the spectrum like the general audiophile community.

I’d say that because they can fill in the gaps in some aspects of playback that the rest of us can’t, that they may not be the best guides to the qualities that audiophiles of whatever stripe are after. But I may be wrong.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve worked in IT with Conservatorium music teachers, and spent time with classical musicians. They can be very skilled listeners. I’ve been present several times to see a musician give a highly detailed dissection of a performance from a lossy recording or low res video played back on laptop speakers- it’s humbling to realise that everything important is still there to be heard!
Exactly.
My wife is a musician and is content to listen to performances she is studying on her laptop.
She has a hifi and almost never switches it on.

sq225917

Major Contributor
It's an interesting video because of the listeners, but that's it, we don't know them, we don't know the production team or the various motivations that went into making the video. All we do know is that it was made for a commercial website and as such generating views is more important than objective truth, not that objective truth can be found in a subjective opinion anyway.

Seems like lately we've let our standards drop in communicating with each other. It only takes a few bad apples, and I get the feeling we've been subjected to a rear guard action over the last 4-5 months.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The few I’ve known with audiophile tendencies mostly wouldn’t fit in but there are bound to be some. The lesson I learnt, from that cohort is that a good system cannot save a poor performance. Musicality happens before the microphone. In other ways they split across the spectrum like the general audiophile community.

I’d say that because they can fill in the gaps in some aspects of playback that the rest of us can’t, that they may not be the best guides to the qualities that audiophiles of whatever stripe are after. But I may be wrong.

This, and also Frank Dernie's comment, match my own experience with musicians. The ones I know are listening to the music and the performance and listen through the equipment pretty much regardless of what it is. Even as a bit of an audio enthusiast I honestly don't find the gear matters much.

Top Bottom