• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Classical Musicians Review Apple Airpods Max

Zensō

Major Contributor
I really enjoyed this. So many audiophile reviewers come with loads of expectations and prejudices, which often color their opinions to the point that they’re almost meaningless. These musicians are mostly free from those biases, which to me makes their opinions very interesting.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Produced by Apple, its a commercial right? They remind me of the ears we had to wear, or were supposed to wear on the Flight Deck.

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
Produced by Apple, its a commercial right? They remind me of the ears we had to wear, or were supposed to wear on the Flight Deck.
Apple Insider is a tech blog that focuses on Apple products. They’re not associated with Apple.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I’ve listened to a mates airpod max over a good few days and was very impressed with the sound quality, I’ll definitely get a pair at some point but think I’ll wait for mk2 - the case really is as bad as it looks, they were so enjoyable to listen to for long periods and as I’m an apple user the integration with all my devices was seamless every time.
Gave them to my mum for a 1 hour train journey (she loves Scottish alt band “beluga lagoon”) and she called me up distraught/pissed off as she had zoned right out whilst listening with noise reduction on and sailed right past her stop, she only realised when she noticed the train heading into Glasgow, she had to wait 60mins at Glasgow Central before catching a train back down, despite this she absolutely loved them but was really shocked at how much they cost - her “hifi” is an Amazon Alexa echo so I may get her the airpods pro for her birthday, I think she’d use them as she walks 10-15miles/day.

Last edited:

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And just one of them thought that he might, maybe, prefer a different headphone, but even that was still ambivalent.

Not one real criticism, not even of the case, comfort or weight? I find that hard to believe.

But it was done sighted.

Helicopter

Major Contributor

But it was done sighted.

Yeah, exactly. Everyone knows the brand. They look and feel nice. They are still biased. Not being into HiFi and knowing music, they might give good unbiased insight into products like Sennheiser, AKG, Audeze or Focal, but not Apple, probably not Sony.

The other problem is they may never have heard good headphones before this. If they had DC Aeons, AKG701, Focal Clear, or HD800 at home and listened with EQ, they might feel differently.

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
Yeah, exactly. Everyone knows the brand. They look and feel nice. They are still biased. Not being into HiFi and knowing music, they might give good unbiased insight into products like Sennheiser, AKG, Audeze or Focal, but not Apple, probably not Sony.

The other problem is they may never have heard good headphones before this. If they had DC Aeons, AKG701, Focal Clear, or HD800 at home and listened with EQ, they might feel differently.

I feel like everyone is missing my point. This was refreshing precisely because these are not headphone reviewers. I guess I’m at a point where most “audiophile” headphone reviews are predictable to the point of being mind-numbingly boring. I should probably stop watching reviews and just look at FR charts... :)

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I feel like everyone is missing my point. This was refreshing precisely because these are not headphone reviewers. I guess I’m at a point where most “audiophile” headphone reviews are predictable to the point of being mind-numbingly boring. I should probably stop watching reviews and just look at FR charts... :)
I get it.
I am still more unclear now. What matters more than FR charts? ...I agree something does, I agree symphony performers are good canditates. But Apple... good luck finding people with open minds about the biggest manufacturer on the planet. I agree these listeners have potential for a refreshing review, but not of an Apple, Sony, or Microsoft product.

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
I get it.
I am still more unclear now. What matters more than FR charts? ...I agree something does, I agree symphony performers are good canditates. But Apple... good luck finding people with open minds about the biggest manufacturer on the planet. I agree these listeners have potential for a refreshing review, but not of an Apple, Sony, or Microsoft product.
To clarify, I simply found their impressions refreshing and interesting, never meant to imply they were accurate, reliable, or useful for analyzing headphones on a technical level. I assumed that was obvious (obviously I was wrong). Not that I think most subjective “audiophile” reviews are reliable or accurate either, far from it...

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Their views may seem to be subjective but i feel like they are the musicians that have the ability to discern the changes and resonances the most in musical notes. As an audiophile sometimes its best to admit that not everything we listen to is going to conform to objective benchmarks, let alone how a headphone is going to respond to FR. We listen to music for enjoyment, get the rush of dopamine that the brain craves.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Musicians are a mediocre choice. Although they create the art we consume, they have no say at how it is reproduced at all.

That's a rather glib all-encompasing statement, surely musicians have a greater understanding of how the music they create should sound.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a rather glib all-encompasing statement, surely musicians have a greater understanding of how the music they create should sound.

the music THEY created yes, because they know the message and the intent behind it. perhaps even the anomalies of the instrument they personally play.

but you think they can do the same to anything they hear? they can tell whether distortion in a track is intentional or its the device they're listening to?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Musicians are a mediocre choice. Although they create the art we consume, they have no say at how it is reproduced at all.
Oof that's a bit harsh to lump all musicians together, let alone classical musicians that really play the instruments and really know how to play the note to get the required resonance and sound.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
After posting yesterday about buying a set of AirPod pro's for my mums birthday up there ^ I had a browse on amazon to see the price and they were down to £144 from Apple so I took a punt, fully expecting it to be a mistake and the order would be cancelled but no, its genuine and they'll be here in a couple of days...Bargain!.

51055603142_6bca72efb0_k.jpg

markanini

Major Contributor
You're wrong because you don't understand incentive. Anyone can make a blog focusing solely on Apple products and generate a ton of views, and revenue.
Apple have strong following along with a refined marketing strategy as it stands. It would hurt their brand to make blatant infomercials, that's why they never made them. Content creeators are incentivised to give them PR for free and that serves to boost Apples image of authenticity and distills the pull factor of word by mouth. It all works in their favor, that's why it's done that way.
Get a clue.

AdamG

Forum Donor
You're wrong because you don't understand incentive. Anyone can make a blog focusing solely on Apple products and generate a ton of views, and revenue.
Apple have strong following along with a refined marketing strategy as it stands. It would hurt their brand to make blatant infomercials, that's why they never made them. Content creeators are incentivised to give them PR for free and that serves to boost Apples image of authenticity and distills the pull factor of word by mouth. It all works in their favor, that's why it's done that way.
Get a clue.

Incentivized, as in paid to promote products in a specified light. Thanks for the clarification.

Dels

OP, thanks for the video. I enjoyed hearing their impressions, especially with regards to how they hear music while performing vs. listening to the headphones.

markanini

Major Contributor
Incentivized, as in paid to promote products in a specified light. Thanks for the clarification.
Okay now I'm sure you're more interested in hating the company than understanding how they devise their free marketing strategy.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Okay now I'm sure you're more interested in hating the company than understanding how they devise their free marketing strategy.

Not everyone is going to see everything the same way. We can disagree and yet remain civil and respectful. I respect your opinion and viewpoints on this. I humbly disagree as I see this as a paid endorsement or paid review.

I don’t hate anything or anyone. I am an Apple fan and have many Apple devices. I don’t see where you read hate into my post.

Top Bottom