• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Classical Music for Audiophiles (remastered)

BenB

I listen to a lot of classical music (the romantic period is my favorite) on my home audio system. I love the sound of a big symphony. It really stresses the audio reproduction in a way that few other things do, and it's so rewarding when everything falls into place, from the performance, the recording, and the playback. Unfortunately, some of my favorite pieces / performances have recordings that are flawed in some way. I find that if the background noise is too high, it takes me out of my zone. Also, if the spectral balance is off then I can't comfortably listen at high levels.

As an audiophile, I appreciate the conflicting desire to reduce excessive background noise while maintaining perfect fidelity of the underlying music. I tried a few commercial noise reduction products, and found that they weren't well suited for classical music. If I configured them to substantially reduce the background noise, they were always detrimental to the music, or introduced artifacts that were as offensive (or more) than the noise. In the end I wrote my own, and have been very satisfied with the results.

For years I've been de-noising music in my classical library. I recently started rebalancing the spectra as well. It occurred to me that others might appreciate this "remastering" of the music, so I started posting results to my youtube channel. I have a few audiophile favorites on there (Saint Saens Organ Symphony, for example), and feel that all the pieces I've done had a lot of potential, and with the minor issues addressed they have become very enjoyable and useful for appreciating a good playback system.

Here's the channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/alexdlrg

Here's the 1st movement of the Saint Saens Organ Symphony (noise reduction only, balance was good). The second movement can be found on the channel. I always post every movement to a piece.

Here's Borodin's Polovtsian Dances. (Incredible soundstage, recorded in 1966!)

If anyone can think of a recording that would benefit from some noise reduction and/or spectral rebalancing, please let me know. If I like the piece enough to add it to my library, I'll likely try my hand at "fixing" whatever is deficient.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Whose performances?

OP
BenB

BenB

This sounds similar to what Andrew Rose at Pristine is doing with HarBal.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/andrew-rose-restoring-old-recordings

Thanks for the information. I hadn't heard about Andrew's work. I would love to be involved in something like that. I appreciate the comparison.

The Murray/Ormandy recording was a Soundstream digital recording (50 kHz sample rate). Telarc issued it on SACD.

Does the SACD have any less noise than the CD? The symphony is so dynamic that the quiet parts are ruined for me by the noise. I have an SACD player, but I don't have a way of getting at the data to fix anything I don't like.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Thanks for the information. I hadn't heard about Andrew's work. I would love to be involved in something like that. I appreciate the comparison.

To clarify, I haven't listened to the YT clips.

Does the SACD have any less noise than the CD? The symphony is so dynamic that the quiet parts are ruined for me by the noise. I have an SACD player, but I don't have a way of getting at the data to fix anything I don't like.

I haven't heard this SACD, either. :( Paray and Munch are my usual goto recordings for this work.

OP
BenB

BenB

Whose performances?

Thanks for your interest. If you watch the videos on youtube, you'll find information about the group, conductor, and soloists in the descriptions. I've pulled from several different CDs, and some of them are compilation CDs, so I've sampled several different groups.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I haven't heard this SACD, either. :( Paray and Munch are my usual goto recordings for this work.
Unlike the Murray/Ormandy, these two are analog originals and are likely to have some noise issues, as well. More modern digital versions can offer remarkable dynamic range and low noise. (As a fan of the Paray and Munch performances, I acknowledge that the performances are not what we are discussing here.)
Try the Latry/Eschenbach/Philadelphia on Ondine SACD for example.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Unlike the Murray/Ormandy, these two are analog originals and are likely to have some noise issues, as well. More modern digital versions can offer remarkable dynamic range and low noise. (As a fan of the Paray and Munch performances, I acknowledge that the performances are not what we are discussing here.)
Try the Latry/Eschenbach/Philadelphia on Ondine SACD for example.

I usually don't have much problem with noise on post-1950 recordings unless there is lots of shattering at climaxes or they feature a particularly bronchial audience.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I usually don't have much problem with noise on post-1950 recordings unless there is lots of shattering at climaxes or they feature a particularly bronchial audience.
I would not include either of these in the category of recording noise. The former is distortion and the latter is annoying and unfortunate but part of the event.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I would not include either of these in the category of recording noise. The former is distortion and the latter is annoying and unfortunate but part of the event.
There's a successful de-coughing of a Furtwängler performance of Bruckner's 4th in the Music & Arts box of Furtwängler's Bruckner. Pretty good job of making these old radio recordings bearable. I don't know if anyone's attempted this sort of thing with the notorious Sviatoslav Richter recording of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition", but someone should.

jhwalker

There's a successful de-coughing of a Furtwängler performance of Bruckner's 4th in the Music & Arts box of Furtwängler's Bruckner. Pretty good job of making these old radio recordings bearable. I don't know if anyone's attempted this sort of thing with the notorious Sviatoslav Richter recording of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition", but someone should.

I would LOVE to have a copy of the Richter "Pictures" cleaned up - it's a STAGGERING performance that sounds like it was made in the barn of a sanatorium.

OP
BenB

BenB

I would LOVE to have a copy of the Richter "Pictures" cleaned up - it's a STAGGERING performance that sounds like it was made in the barn of a sanatorium.

I found this version on youtube, posted 1 month ago that claims "NEW MASTERING"

There are comments about coughs being removed, even though I still heard a lot. There are certainly fewer clicks compared to another video I found. Is that the version you're looking for (1956 in Prague)? I find the noise pretty dreadful. I have never attempted to edit out sounds like coughs or page turns, though I've been tempted. I don't have perfect pitch, but it sounds to me like there are intonation problems either with the piano, or with the recording. This would be a very difficult undertaking to fix all the problems. What issues would have to be fixed to satisfy you? Please post a link here or PM me if you were thinking of a different recording (maybe one with fewer problems).

Robin L

Master Contributor
I found this version on youtube, posted 1 month ago that claims "NEW MASTERING"

There are comments about coughs being removed, even though I still heard a lot. There are certainly fewer clicks compared to another video I found. Is that the version you're looking for (1956 in Prague)? I find the noise pretty dreadful. I have never attempted to edit out sounds like coughs or page turns, though I've been tempted. I don't have perfect pitch, but it sounds to me like there are intonation problems either with the piano, or with the recording. This would be a very difficult undertaking to fix all the problems. What issues would have to be fixed to satisfy you? Please post a link here or PM me if you were thinking of a different recording (maybe one with fewer problems).
This is the one with issues. It seems like there's been a little de-coughing here. But there's still some going on. I think the one above comes from a studio recording.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Except for the sexy-girl-group violin sub-genre, I thought all classical was more-or-less audiophile friendly.
You don't happen to be a fan of early electrical recordings? Or early [1944] reel to reel? There are numerous sub-genres of classical music recordings for audio masochists.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
As an audiophile, I appreciate the conflicting desire to reduce excessive background noise while maintaining perfect fidelity of the underlying music.

Philosophically, I'm not sure I agree.

For me, "high fidelity" is hearing the original recording as it was made at the time.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You don't happen to be a fan of early electrical recordings? Or early [1944] reel to reel? There are numerous sub-genres of classical music recordings for audio masochists.

I mean, in jazz, all my Charlie Parker recordings have pretty bad sound quality.

And a lot of my Furtwanglers or early Maria Callas or Enrico Caruso have iffy quality by modern standards.

But for all of those, it doesn't interfere with my ability to enjoy the performance and I find the throwback nature of the quality part of the experience.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I mean, in jazz, all my Charlie Parker recordings have pretty bad sound quality.

And a lot of my Furtwanglers or early Maria Callas or Enrico Caruso have iffy quality.

But for all of those, it doesn't interfere with my ability to enjoy the performance and I find the throwback nature of the quality part of the experience.
There's a few where it really gets in the way, like the Charlie Parker in Paris recording [1949], where they throw him in front of an orchestra with a third-stream score that the Bird didn't practice on account of a four day smack-fest in Belgium just before the performance, this musical clusterfuck captured from an AM broadcast onto a paper recording disc. Sonic ambrosia.

The Verve "Now's The Time" album has pretty good sound.

Top Bottom