• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Classical ♫ Music only | Some you listen now or recently, some you love...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
It don't matter which medium, and it don't matter a video or an album cover. It's Classical music, and all discussions are open to your heart contentment.
...The recordings, the musicians, the composers, the music.

PianoMan

This disc contains powerful playing and excellent sound.

61MVRXz-9ML.jpg

It also forms an interesting contrast between his more Romantic-era harmonies of "P&M" and his more challenging 12-tone techniques in the Violin Concerto.

PianoMan

I just saw Trifonov in Los Angeles--he was spectacular. The only Scriabin on his program was the Prelude for the Left Hand.

I really like this set by Igor Zhukov:

81iq0ZedgKL._SX522_.jpg

He is not as well recorded as Hamelin, but he plays with greater intensity and imagination. This set is good, too:

MI0002957592.jpg

Opus111

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the tips, I'm very new to Scriabin. As a child having piano lessons I never learned any of his pieces but a school friend did and I didn't like the one he played. As a result, I unconsciously steered clear.

Listening now to Pletnev's preludes. I do warm to Pletnev's playing and the Virgin label I find captures piano very well - this one's a live recording.

41lWY7p1R0L._SY300_.jpg

PianoMan

Very crisp/clear playing and sound.

61COqA3oe0L._SX522_.jpg

71VuK1dyqsL._SX522_.jpg

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, it is a subscription service. For the equiv. cost of one CD a month, you get to stream everything they have. I can't recommend highly enough Bob. Even if you still want to buy music, you can use it to quickly sample content at CD quality as I do with you all's recommendations.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Yes, it is a subscription service. For the equiv. cost of one CD a month, you get to stream everything they have. I can't recommend highly enough Bob. Even if you still want to buy music, you can use it to quickly sample content at CD quality as I do with you all's recommendations.

So it's like Netflix, but without DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD and without moving pictures, and for more money than Netflix $6.99/month?
How much...$20/month. And the hi-res is what...PCM 16/44.1 or higher?
And last, how many music albums do they have in their database, and is there a good selection of Opera, Classical, Chamber, Jazz, Blues, New Age, International music?
...The good old and new stuff, Folk too?

If their Classical music selection is good; why are people paying $30 for a Classical SACD, ...is Tidal also hi-res multichannel music reproduction, or just stereo?
Sorry for all them questions but they are honest and coming up directly as I type them...in the moment.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Its max quality is CD, i.e. 16/44.1, stereo only. The library of music is 1000 times more than videos you get on Netflix :).

The library is very good but you will run into holes.

For me, it has replaced CD buying completely. I only buy high-res content downloads now. I was averaging about 30+ CD purchases a month so this is a big saving. Saving that I am now putting toward buying videos :).

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Lol, I was coming back to delete my post. Because I could have goggle it.
But then, if we were to goggle each time we have a question, then audio forums wouldn't exist. :)

Alright, I got it from you now: PCM 16/44.1 and stereo only. And they have a vast music library, that's very :cool:
We run into holes in all life's departments, so no big deal...we just jump over them. :)

I spend quite bit (loonies) on Blu-rays, and less now on CDs and SACDs. We're all different, and we have our periods too...just not the girls have them.
30 CDs a month is roughly $750 (with tax here, for reasonable quality ones).

I'll have to check Tidal and see how much they charge for their CD downloads. That would be a brand new world for me.

@PianoMan, are you a Tidal subscriber too?

PianoMan

world for me.

@PianoMan, are you a Tidal subscriber too?

Nope, I've never even visited their site and plan to keep it that way! I'm a confirmed disc lover, either silver or black.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Jerry

Top Bottom