• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Classical ♫ Music only | Some you listen now or recently, some you love...

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here's an interesting piece:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am listening to the Leonard Bernstein Beethoven symphony cycle he recorded with the VPO in the early 70's. The set was never really promoted as much as it deserved by to by DG largely because of their obsession with von Karajan. I bought the DG delux re-issue which includes a blu ray audio disc with "high res" transfers, generally I'd probably dismiss that as just marketing spin but in this case the blu ray includes a 5.0 surround sound mix which really does add a very 3 dimensional feel and is well worth having. Given that as a Beethoven symphony cycle this remains excellent, the beautiful delux packaging and the surround blu ray the price of £23 is absurdly cheap IMO.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I bought the DG delux re-issue which includes a blu ray audio disc with "high res" transfers, generally I'd probably dismiss that as just marketing spin but in this case the blu ray includes a 5.0 surround sound mix which really does add a very 3 dimensional feel and is well worth having.
Which Karajan/BPO series are you referring to? 1963 or 1977?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which Karajan/BPO series are you referring to? 1963 or 1977?

Karajan in general, for a long time DG seemed to be obsessed with Karajan despite having some remarkable artists on their books. Even Karl Bohm was second fiddle. Which is not to say that Karajan and the BPO were not a formidable combination, it's popular to deride popular artists and look for excuses to criticise but at his best Karajan was a brilliant conductor.

Bernstein knew his Beethoven and his symphony cycle is excellent. The 5th isn't in the same class as Kleiber (is any?) but overall its an excellent cycle and remains as good as any Beethoven cycle I've heard.

On Karajan and Beethoven I like his 1977 cycle, the weak one is the last 1982(?) digitally recorded set. The 1963 set has been re-issued by DG as a deluxe set which is well worth considering if people want that cycle.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
On Karajan and Beethoven I like his 1977 cycle, the weak one is the last 1982(?) digitally recorded set. The 1963 set has been re-issued by DG as a deluxe set which is well worth considering if people want that cycle.
The 1977 set has been remixed/remastered/released on BluRay with multiple formats:
• Dolby Atmos at 24bit/48kHz
• Stereo 2.0 at 24bit/192kHz
• Surround 5.1 at 24bit/192KHz .
The ATMOS is particularly interesting because it is not immersive in the present sense used for movies but does offer a quite enhanced presence of the Philharmonie.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 1977 set has been remixed/remastered/released on BluRay with multiple formats:
The ATMOS is particularly interesting because it is not immersive in the present sense used for movies but does offer a quite enhanced presence of the Philharmonie.

Karajan's 1977 cycle was my first Beethoven experience, the first classical recordings I ever bought. I think that your first exposure to any piece of music remains a benchmark and although others have recorded wonderful Beethoven symphony cycles the Karajan 1977 is one I would not be without. I saw the BD release and keep meaning to buy but since I have the cycle on CD already I keep going for other things first.

Universal music have been pumping out quite a few wonderful re-issues and adding quadrophonic and surround sound mixes. The Steinberg coupling of the Planets and Also Sprach Zarathustra with the Boston SO is truly superb. I guess that they are wringing a few more sales from physical media while they can. They released a lovely set of the Acardo Paganini recordings in their deluxe edition style which is well worth having.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another nice Universal (their Decca label this time) release is the Georg Solti Tannhauser in surround sound, using original quadrophonic tapes, also in deluxe packaging.

Fernando

Forum Donor
Hello!
Today I was reviewing these two works that drive me crazy !!!!

This is a recording that I recently discovered.
I love how the choir sounds!

MI0003588861.jpg

https://tidal.com/track/21657161

Soviet music in its purest form, the facts on which the symphony is based are aupa ...

MI0001007895.jpg

https://tidal.com/album/25322745

I have not found the version of Tidal in Spotify or vice versa, curious ...
They are different versions, with the same director but different years. Both with a lot of strength, the 1st recorded live with Shostakovich in sitting in the front row !!
Let's see which one you like the most.

A little history:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._13_(Shostakovich)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love the Kondrashin recording of Babi Yar with the Moscow Philharmonic, I bought that disc many years ago and I think it is still my favourite recording of that work. It's well worth seeking out.

Fernando

Forum Donor
I'm glad you like it!
I have the vinyl record of both.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been enjoying the Salvatore Accardo recordings of Paganini, the old set recorded in the 70's with the London Philharmonic and Charles Dutoit. Tremendous, Accardo can really play, the classic dangers of Paganini is that it either becomes a rather sterile bit of virtuoso willy waving or the playing is not up to the job, Accardo plays the pieces brilliantly yet there is real musicality and it is not just a great performer showing off his technical skills. And the music is wonderful, for anybody who only knows Paganini from the capricci they should get this set.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mendelssohn's A Midsummer Night's Dream is on my play list now, the Seiji Ozawa recording with the Boston SO, Kathleen Battle, Frederica von Stade and narration by Judi Dench, tremendous! It's hard to imagine a better recording of this wonderful music. Ozawa's tempi are just so and he brings out the lovely melodies and lyric qualities of the score, the Boston SO perform splendidly, Kathleen Battle is as you'd expect from that magnificent voice and von Stade matches her. The Tanglewood Festival Chorus perform with their usual aplomb and to top it off the great Judi Dench narrates. Perfection!

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Interesting indeed.
I wonder if the original recording was done in multichannel.
(I am buying it anyway)

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Murray Perahia— Bach, French Suites. DG.
Have been listening to this over, comparing with Andras Schiff.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
9E54F9CA-A5B7-461C-A523-AD2203021F41.jpeg

One violin, multichannel recording. :)

Zog

Just listened to Chiaroscuro for Violin and Orchestra by Kancheli.

cover.jpg
This is extraordinarily atmospheric.

Top Bottom