• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Classical ♫ Music only | Some you listen now or recently, some you love...

bkdc

Forum Donor
The Sibelius violin concerto leaves a lot of room for artistic interpretation for the performer. As such its highly dependent on how the listener prefers it.

I have a 6000CD classical collection and don’t have a strong preference for a particular performance for most works but for the Sibelius I do. Akiko Suwanai. Hands down. Not only is it artistically superlative, the recording technique and instrument separation is superlative as well. 10 stars for the recording engineers. Same for the Dvorak violin concerto. Suwanai. For the past 2 decades she has played arguably the most valuable (among those not stuck in a museum) Stradivarius violin in existence— the Dolphin. Only the Alard stradivarius is considered at the same level but is not played and is sitting in someone’s climate controlled display case.

Last edited:

bkdc

Forum Donor
Beeth-shrunk.jpg

Beethoven's 5th, Paavo Järvi and the Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen. A different flavor.... due to the small orchestral size, playing sounds so clean and precise.

Last edited:

bkdc

Forum Donor
Surround sound choral music can really be uplifting.

Northern Lights - Ola Gjeilo, Charles Bruffy, Phoenix Chorale (Chandos)
Spes - Cantus & Frode Fjellheim (2L) - track used in Disney's Frozen

and because Easter is approaching,
Grechaninov - Passion Week - Charles Bruffy, Phoenix Bach Choir and the Kansas City Chorale (Chandos)

Last edited:
For those with an Atmos setup, I was surprised at just how good John Williams’ Berlin Concert sounded.

Tortie

Forum Donor
Beethoven's 5th, Paavo Järvi and the Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen. A different flavor.... due to the small orchestral size, playing sounds so clean and precise.

Have you tried the Ancient Consort Praha's recording of the 5th Symphony arranged for string quintet ensemble? You might like it.

BEETHOVEN, L. van Symphonies Nos. 5 and 8 (arr. for string quintet) (Ancient Consort Praha) - Exton [KJCL-00002]

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
View attachment 195616

Thank you for this! Jarvi has done a number of the Beethoven symphonies, Bruckner and others with that ensemble. I love the fresh sound on the old war horses.

jmtocali

In the same line is the new recording of Weber's Der Freischutz by Rene Jacobs. Wonderful reading, highly recommended.

AlephAlpha001

Just discovered this on Tidal. Got Marimbas, so it must be Audiophile good. And it is.

Lauda Concertata

Works by Emmanuel Séjourné and Akira Ifukube

Bogdan Bácanu, Marimba
The Wave Quartet, Marimba and Percussion
Romanian National Symphony Orchestra

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even though I posted this before here, please allow me to share again on this thread.

András Schiff (Andras Schicff) - JS Bach. Overture in French Style and Suites in B minor BWV831

So far, I mean before this YouTube clip, I have been much fascinated by Glenn Gould's performance in remastering CD (SICC 10171-2 Sony Music Japan International Inc. Remastered in 2012 by Andreas K Mayer).

Now I often "cry for" above Schiff's really amazing, IMHO "historical", live performance with wonderful video and recording quality. I believe this is one of the "world music heritages"... And also this is a good challenge to our audio system and room acoustics.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even though I have so many recordings of Vitali's Chaconne, after all I always return to this Jacques Thibaud's;

Jacques Thibaud plays Vitali Chaconne (arr.Charlier), 1936​

TOCE-7826 EMI Angel
WS003723.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom