• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D vs Solid state vs Tubes

Pjetrof

I am always thinking would there be a audible difference.
Between solid state and D class amplifiers.
Objective we can prove tubes vs solid.
A, AB, G, H class if well made and played in their parameters no audible difference.
What about D class?
I m not technically studied enough to explain or understand.
I know and understand the diffrence between tubes and transistors.
But D class is something completely different or not?
Is it right to say that we have to choose now between tube amplifier, solid state(A, AB, G, H) and D class.
or is D class inaudible in comparison with solid state?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
You may be confusing implementation with amplifier class of operation.

Tube amplifiers typically operate in class A or AB (I am not aware of a current class D tube audio amplifier though there are class D tube amplifiers for other applications like RF).

Solid-state amplifiers typically operate in A, AB, or D.

Class G is typically a class AB amplifier with power supply voltages that switch among several levels as the input signal level changes.

Class H is typically a class AB amplifier with power supply voltages that track (continuously, instead of switching) the input signal.

Class D uses a pulse-width modulation approach so the output switches rapidly between two levels (much like a delta-sigma DAC or DSD stream). Switching occurs way above the audio band so filtering removes the switching noise leaving an audio-band result.

The vast majority of audio amplifiers today are either class AB or D (as best I can tell). For AB, choose between tube or solid state implementations.

The audible difference with tubes is usually due to their higher distortion and much higher output impedance, making them more sensitive to the speaker's impedance (load).

Here is a Wikipedia article on amplifier classes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_amplifier_classes

HTH - Don

RoyB

Forum Donor
What about Class T......I was just reading it is a modified class D. I use cheap ($20) Pyle Class T "90 watt per channel" 12v amplifiers in boats and RVs. Just for fun, I hooked one up to my KEF 103.2 and Magnapan MMGs...........I had to listen hard to hear the difference from a Cambridge Audio Azur 840 and a Yamaha M45! Only at real high levels, the bass became a little distorted, but only on some songs. With a B&W subwoofer, the sound was actually quite good...Freaked me out a bit....Is my hearing that bad or are $20 class T amplifiers that good?

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ooh, naughty words: "audible difference". You're going to offend some hardcore objectivists with those words. o_O

Probably my imagination, but if you have an active imagination like me, you might here some differences. IMHO, different class D amp sound as different from each other as some class A/B amps do. I've never owned a tube power amp and don't intend to, but I do own a tube preamp -- ands a little tube je ne sais quoi to my Purifi class D amp.

egellings

Major Contributor
Class D is switchmode, while the others are all continuous in operation.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Class D amplification (pulse width modulation) is (usually) solid state, but (as has been pointed out elsewhere on ASR in similar discussions) can use vacuum tubes just as well, if one desires.
Early commercial Class D amplifiers, in fact, used discrete transistors (which, again, has been discussed here before).

http://www.vk6fh.com/vk6fh/sinclair x10.htm
http://www.vk6fh.com/vk6fh/sinclairX20.htm

classDaudio1.jpg

jasonhanjk

Newer class D uses mosfet, to gain it's higher efficiency using mosfet's low Rdson.
It's simpler to produce a class AB amp board then a class D, EMC is a pain.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Class T was essentially a specific variation of Class D patented by Tripath corporation which went out of business later on and bought up by Cirrus Logic. The basic thing I remember was the switching frequency varied to get more efficiency and various other advantages. We studied putting one in a head unit; that never happened (less heat but more RFI). A big outboard amp sounded quite good though as with other amps I'd be hard pressed to describe the difference.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-T_amplifier

Top Bottom