• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D technologies

gjm

I have done a search, and looked beyond that, but haven't found a detailed discussion of the different tech that can e used in creating a Class-D amplifier.

Not the circuit topology, or a Class D vs Class A consideration... Just the type and source of tech.

• Hypex
  • ICEpower
  • Purifi
  • Pascal
  • Powersoft
  • Anaview
  • Starkrimson
  • Others...

What are the merits/disadvantages of each? Is it possible to discuss this without diving into detailed technical specifications? Is there a hierarchy or is that entirely dependent on the implementation and associated design?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
You're asking for reams of information. Google search is your friend. ;)

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Start here: Much thanks to our resident Expert @DonH56

Then use the search function “Class D” and start reading

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
How each implementation translates into real world performance,durability,price,etc would be much more useful to the end user.
Experts here will know exactly how to guide us away from hype,etc.

Reactions: gjm

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a hierarchy or is that entirely dependent on the implementation and associated design?
Sure, here is one:
  • Anaview
  • Hypex
  • ICEpower
  • Others...
  • Pascal
  • Powersoft
  • Purifi
  • Starkrimson
;)

There are many metrics that you can sort amps by: cost, power, size, noise, distortion, etc. Many of your examples have various models that are not even the same in terms of general performance, cost or power. So it gets complicated very fast. Best to just check out the reviews with decent measurements to see how these amps stack up.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
This question can maybe be answered by class D experts here at ASR. What are the best class D implementations and then go down from there.
There is no "best," just good ones and crappy ones.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
What does "type and source of tech" mean? You say "not circuit topology"; most of those amps use similar devices, but differ in circuit topology, most likely proprietary to the manufacturer. As others have said, any hierarchical ranking would depend on what metrics you choose and how you weight them. Any question along the lines of "What is the best xyz?" must be highly-qualified with the application and other parameters (such as power, price, size, etc.) to narrow the scope of the question. The "right" answer is usually very specific to the user.

How high is up?

FWIWFM/IME/IMO - Don

greenid

Found ASR this evening and having read many of the comments about the "Class D Revolution" - I'm excited to make the switch.

Is there an opinion of which of the manufacturers (or implementations) holds their value? Would seem Apollon is leading the pack and the Hypex 502MP is a no-brainer for the price performance.

FWIW - I'm driving Tannoy Precision 6.2s with a Rega Brio amp and they seem underpowered.

aaddas

My recommendation do not go far,
For music >>> integrated amp class ab
For movies >>> NCX500 class D

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
FWIW - I'm driving Tannoy Precision 6.2s with a Rega Brio amp and they seem underpowered.
I don't know anything about those, but how does the amplifier power compare with the speaker's power rating?

Note that double the wattage is only 3dB louder. That's a "noticeable" difference but probably not enough if the speakers are underpowered now. +6dB (4 times the power) may not make a big enough difference for you.

Speakers are supposed to be "safe" with an amplifier that's putting-out program-peaks at the speaker's rated power. i.e. As long as the amplifier doesn't put-out more than the speaker's rating, you should be OK as long is the amplifier isn't clipping, or only very-occasionally clipping. It's probably OK if the amplifier has a little extra power but be careful, since you seem to be complaining that it's not loud enough.

The "sound quality" of most solid state amplifiers is very good (as long as they are not over-driven into clipping/distortion). If there's an issue it will probably be noise. All analog electronics generate some noise and some amplifiers are noisier than others. And the more efficient/sensitive your speakers are, and the closer you sit to them, the more likely you are to hear noise.

Galliardist

Major Contributor

It appears that the lowest effective impedance of the Tannoys is too low for the Brio to drive.

Additionally, I remember issues with the Brio’s pre-outs and some power amps being raised in the past. I think the issue was low gain.

A decent Hypex or Purifi power amp should get you going, but it’s a good idea to check compatibility. Personally I’d replace the Brio completely. Budget is obviously the issue at that point.

What are your sources? Room size and listening distance? Would different speakers also be in order here?

Top Bottom