• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D-size amplifiers with Airplay?

GoodListener

In buying time for plans to build a decent system around KEF Q150 speakers, which I'm saving to purchase, I've decided to make do with what I currently have: Yamaha NS-6390 speakers connected to a Pioneer VSX-D509S receiver. I'd be temporarily happy if I could just make the system capable of playing music via wi-fi/Airplay. My first thought was to get rid of the Pioneer and just attach the speakers to a very simple Class D amp (I'm also trying to save space), but it turns out it's hard to find a Class D-sized amp (like the kind sold by Fosi or Douk) with wi-fi and Airplay, at least without "might-as-well-buy-a-full-blown-integrated amp/receiver" for that much (which I don't want to do until I've get the KEFs). Anyways, the best solution I can find is to keep the Pioneer and connect it to something like the Audioengine B-Fi. Will this give me the taste of a better listening experience? Is there a better option out there assuming I'll be keeping my Yamaha speakers and just want something that's affordable and gets me the best sound I can get along with wi-fi and Airplay capability?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Instead of the Audioengine, you could buy a WiiM Mini and connect that to the Pioneer via Toslink. It's almost half the price.

Edit: Here are some less expensive Class D Amps with AirPlay built in:
-Arylic A30+
-Arylic A50+
-IEAST AMP80
-Fosi Audio T10
-Martin Logan Forte
-TIC AMP88

Last edited:
OP
G

GoodListener

Thanks. That might work. The review of the WiiM on this site is a "no," but it adds that with an optical output it's better. Also, I mistyped earlier. My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D509S. So, am I correct to assume that with an optical input along with the Pioneer doing the DAC instead of the WiiM, that I should get some decent sound out of the Yamahas?

Last edited:
OP
G

GoodListener

Instead of the Audioengine, you could buy a WiiM Mini and connect that to the Pioneer via Toslink. It's almost half the price.

-Arylic A30+
-Arylic A50+
-IEAST AMP80
-Fosi Audio T10
-Martin Logan Forte
-TIC AMP88
Would any of those produce significantly better sound on their own vs the WiiM Mini and my Pioneer? It seems like the Fosi T10 might be the best choice among those other stand-alone amps, no?

Last edited:

lkanies

Forum Donor

-Arylic A30+
-Arylic A50+
-IEAST AMP80
-Fosi Audio T10
-Martin Logan Forte
-TIC AMP88
Note that at least the Arylic probably only does Airplay 1 (which means only one room at a time). I purchased and returned one of their streamers because they don’t really come out and say it anywhere.

This was maybe a year ago, so it might have changed. But if that matters to you, it’s worth double checking that any of these are explicitly Airplay 2.

WiiM Pro is definitely Airplay 2 and working well for me now, fwiw. (Mini would be fine too, but I prefer wired Ethernet when possible.)

OP
G

GoodListener

I'm going to experiment with the WiiM mini. There's a $5 coupon for it on Amazon and with some Amazon credit I had on hand, it ended up being $45 after tax. If I use an optical output to my Pioneer receiver, I'll be ok with "not bad" results. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be back when I upgrade!

jmar1334

I'm going to experiment with the WiiM mini. There's a $5 coupon for it on Amazon and with some Amazon credit I had on hand, it ended up being $45 after tax. If I use an optical output to my Pioneer receiver, I'll be ok with "not bad" results. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be back when I upgrade!
I use the optical out to my Denon x1600h and it sounds great to me.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. That might work. The review of the WiiM on this site is a "no," but it adds that with an optical output it's better. Also, I mistyped earlier. My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D509S. So, am I correct to assume that with an optical input along with the Pioneer doing the DAC instead of the WiiM, that I should get some decent sound out of the Yamahas?

The reason WiiM was blacklisted is it doesn't support roon. If your use case does not involve that software, it's a fine device.

OP
G

GoodListener

The reason WiiM was blacklisted is it doesn't support roon. If your use case does not involve that software, it's a fine device.
Thanks. Yes, I have no interest in roon. I've got the WiiM connected with optical to send my receiver 48 kHz / 24 bits. This give my old Pioneer VSX-D509S receiver and Yamaha NS-6390 speakers some new life, allowing me to bide my time as I contemplate an upgrade. Thanks for all the feedback everyone. It was definitely worth posting on this forum.

Top Bottom