• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D Power Ratings vs A/AB Power Ratings

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
Been reading through the Class D amp reviews (here and elsewhere) and a point of confusion for me are the power ratings, and their accuracy.
These class D seem to have massive power ratings.

So for example, is it really OK to run a speaker with max power rating of 150W with these hypex ncore amps rated for 500W?

I don't have issue of amps with higher power than what speaker is spec'd at, but isn't that overdoing things (and dangerous)?
Not sure I'd ever run a speaker rated for 150W with an AB amp rated for 500w (if I could afford one).

So is there a difference between these AB / Class D power ratings, and if there is, how to decide on which amp to buy?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Should be fine using high power class D. Just remember to turn on your amp last. And off first. Most speaker damage occurs from over driving amplifiers into clipping. Having loads of power on tap means that won't be an issue. If your driving the speakers loud enough to cause damage (by over extension) it should be clearly audible distortion that's just horrible. And you only get one set of ears so don't go crazy with volume.

OP
W

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
No worries with the volume and ear damage :)

I was more concerned that if I play music / movies at level similar to what I listen at with current lower wattage amps (certainly not clipping volume), that such a mismatch between speaker and amp could blow a speaker.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No worries with the volume and ear damage :)

I was more concerned that if I play music / movies at level similar to what I listen at with current lower wattage amps (certainly not clipping volume), that such a mismatch between speaker and amp could blow a speaker.

The power delivered to your speakers depends on the volume you are listening at - not what your amp is capable of delivering.
So let's say a particular volume level requires 10w of power, a 50w amp will deliver that 10w of power. Similarly a 50 trillion watt amp will still only deliver 10w of power because that's all that's needed for that particular volume level.

Top Bottom