• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D PBTL use case - woofer/subwoofer ?

jmf11

I see in class D amps datasheets some advertising about the PBTL config providing 1 channel with twice the power. However, this only seems effective with low impedance drivers (2-3R).

Looking at datasheets, I don't see 5", 6", 8" drivers with "low impedance": 4-8R seems the norm. Is this correct? In those cases, the PBTL does not looks much relevant.

There seems to be better use cases for subwoofers, by combining dual coils for ex. So PBTL configuration would be relevant only (almost) for subwoofer?

Can PBTL help for woofers ?

Best regards,

JMF

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
.I'm not sure what amps those are, or what PBTL is. Bridging stereo amps to mono, maybe? In any event car stuff uses real low impedance because of the low voltages involved, and the desire for high power. Common domestic drivers are 4 or 8 ohm.

OP
J

jmf11

I think of TI TPA/TAS chips (TAS3251, TPA3255...) or Infineon Merus MA12070, MA2304...

PBTL is a design configuration where you "paralel" 2 channels for more current (with same Voltage).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think of TI TPA/TAS chips (TAS3251, TPA3255...) or Infineon Merus MA12070, MA2304...

PBTL is a design configuration where you "paralel" 2 channels for more current (with same Voltage).
Ahhh. Gotcha. Yes, definitely sounds like stuff for cars.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably for every one of the class D amps we review here, there are 100s intended for cars.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think those schemes are mainly designed to be able to put some large Wattages on the sticker ;). In general though, it’s indeed practical for subwoofers:

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most drivers labelled as 4 Ohm are actually around 3 Ohm minimum, and many 8 Ohm drivers are 6 minimum. PBTL is therefore quite useful for driving low efficiency 4 Ohm bookshelf speakers, or MTM designs with parallel 8 Ohm woofers.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Most drivers labelled as 4 Ohm are actually around 3 Ohm minimum, and many 8 Ohm drivers are 6 minimum. PBTL is therefore quite useful for driving low efficiency 4 Ohm bookshelf speakers, or MTM designs with parallel 8 Ohm woofers.
The point is that many of these amps already work optimally at 4R. Paralleling them makes them work better for 2R loads.

Top Bottom