• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D must read papers and publications

VQR

Thanks to Amir, recently I have ditched my enjoyable and lovely sounding, but very hot running (especially during summer), Quad feed-forward ‘current dumping’ 909 power amp (still have it though), and am now biamping my Neat Acoustics Notive 1 speakers, using all class D power amp combo:

a) Buckeye 2-ch amp, based on Purifi 1ET400A board (in high gain, driving tweeter and midrange)
b) Audiophonics, Hyped nCore NC502MP 2-ch based amp (driving bass woofers) … pre-amp is Benchmark LA-4, DAC is SMSL Su-9n

According to Dylan from Buckeye, in high gain mode Purify 1ET400A based amp, perfectly matched with the voltage gain of Audiophonics nCore NC502MP based amp … Buckeye + Audiophonics combo really sounds great … he is definitely right

View attachment 283399

literally unlimited clean power per channel (500+ watts) for less than 2.5 Grands
Now you got room to buy a second set of amps to get the neighbors to file noise complaints. ;)

It's neat how much power and efficiency can be had in such a compact form factor. My rack will probably look kinda bare after removing my old AVR that I only use for stereo. I recently bought the same Buckeye 2ch like yours. Initially I had planned on getting an LA90 Discrete, but honestly the Buckeye is a better buy for me given the price, greater power, and excellent specs.

mdunjic

Now you got room to buy a second set of amps to get the neighbors to file noise complaints. ;)

It's neat how much power and efficiency can be had in such a compact form factor. My rack will probably look kinda bare after removing my old AVR that I only use for stereo. I recently bought the same Buckeye 2ch like yours. Initially I had planned on getting an LA90 Discrete, but honestly the Buckeye is a better buy for me given the price, greater power, and excellent specs.
LoL … indeed … but my listening room is already smallish, even for this insane amount of power available per channel!

I learned that room itself will start distorting the sound, if sound pressure at my listening position (2.5m away from speakers) is pushed beyond my max sound pressure listening level of 85db … so, if I use Crown power amp calculation, even with 10db amp headroom … I would need utilizing max 80w / ch … which is only about 15% of available power reserve I have.

It is becoming complete insanity with these high performance class D modules and I love it !

Attachments

• IMG_6018.jpeg
    IMG_6018.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: VQR

mdunjic

Indeed … the very high quality power amplification these days is getting highly commoditized … unless one is snob in terms of look and feel, ‘golden this’, ‘golden that’, and tube pleasant distortion … ultimate high end, highly accurate, sound reproduction is definitely more affordable than ever !

Last edited:
Reactions: VQR

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
LoL … indeed … but my listening room is already smallish, even for this insane amount of power available per channel!

I learned that room itself will start distorting the sound, if sound pressure at my listening position (2.5m away from speakers) is pushed beyond my max sound pressure listening level of 85db … so, if I use Crown power amp calculation, even with 10db amp headroom … I would need utilizing max 80w / ch … which is only about 15% of available power reserve I have.

It is becoming complete insanity with these high performance class D modules and I love it !
if you listen to 85dB average with high dynamic range music you will have peaks of 100+dB which will require much much more power

mdunjic

if you listen to 85dB average with high dynamic range music you will have peaks of 100+dB which will require much much more power
True … my max spl that I personally can tolerate is 90db before room starts negatively contributing … so here is approximate calculation for something like that … so I think I am more than ok

Attachments

• IMG_6020.jpeg
    IMG_6020.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 88

Sokel

Master Contributor
True … my max spl that I personally can tolerate is 90db before room starts negatively contributing … so here is approximate calculation for something like that … so I think I am more than ok
That's max,not peak.

mdunjic

In my Roon library 11 LU is max dynamic range I encountered

Attachments

• IMG_6024.jpeg
    IMG_6024.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 64

Sokel

Master Contributor
That’s max my ears and room can take it … so in my case that’s actually peak
Take a look between max and peak :

index.php

And another one:

index.php

index.php

For easy viewing:
Purple for Average
Yellow for Max
Red for peak.

There is an interesting thread here about it:

mdunjic

Take a look between max and peak :

index.php

And another one:

index.php

index.php

For easy viewing:
Purple for Average
Yellow for Max
Red for peak.

There is an interesting thread here about it:

Thanks … yes I understand … regardless … I have never measured spl in my listening room beyond 90 db at listening position … with all of the possible dynamic range of files in my music library … that’s why I call it max spl I measured so far, although it’s peak in my case … meaning … my average listening spl is about 60-65 db

Sokel

Master Contributor
Thanks … yes I understand … regardless … I have never measured spl in my listening room beyond 90 db at listening position … with all of the possible dynamic range of files in my music library … that’s why I call it max spl I measured so far, although it’s peak in my case … meaning … my average listening spl is about 60-65 db
What are you measure your SPL with?
Cause if it's not a true SPL meter or calibrated mic with REW you can't know,phones for example don't measure peaks,only max (the ones I know at least).

mdunjic

What are you measure your SPL with?
Cause if it's not a true SPL meter or calibrated mic with REW you can't know,phones for example don't measure peaks,only max (the ones I know at least).
I am using iPhone app … it’s for sure good enough, although not ultimately precise … imo, that’s in my case mainly irrelevant … bottom line is that with two high quality, extremely well measured and powerful class D amps, like these:

a) https://www.buckeyeamp.com/shop/p/purifi-1et400a-amplifier-2-channel
b) https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...lass-d-stereo-ncore-2x500w-4-ohm-p-15016.html

which I am using for bi-amping my current speakers, I will probably never hit clipping level, with my listening habits and in my room.

Thanks for the pov btw, highly appreciated

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am using iPhone app … it’s for sure good enough, although not ultimately precise … imo, that’s in my case mainly irrelevant … bottom line is that with two high quality, extremely well measured and powerful class D amps, like these:

a) https://www.buckeyeamp.com/shop/p/purifi-1et400a-amplifier-2-channel
b) https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...lass-d-stereo-ncore-2x500w-4-ohm-p-15016.html

which I am using for bi-amping my current speakers, I will probably never hit clipping level, with my listening habits and in my room.

Thanks for the pov btw, highly appreciated
Yeah you are fine for sure I'm just on personal campain to inform people that they are most certainly using more power (on peaks) than they think they do

brightsparkey

I would like to open the thread dealing with important publications on class D amplifiers principles, topologies, characteristics and limitations. One of the great sources is the Hypex publications library at

The most explaining and resourceful publication is IMHO the "AES Class D master class" presentation
which explains in detail class D principles and also the main different basic topologies, the hysteresis modulator and the phase shift controlled oscillator. Benefits and limitations of both approaches are explained and it would explain to the reader what he could expect from both approaches.

UcD principle and comparison to hysteresis modulator is also explained in

and NCore improvement over UcD in

and also in

I believe that these publications might help the ASR visitors for better understanding of results of class D reviews here at ASR.

I would be very grateful if @amirm , @BDWoody or @AdamG247 could make this thread sticky, as it links to basic and necessary literature to understanding of class D function and parameters.
----------------------------------------
https://www.cornestech.co.jp/images/uploads/file/products/pdf/oa_product7-4_201503.pdf
Audio Precision white paper "Measuring Switch-mode Power Amplifiers". All the basic measuring methods like THD, THD+N/level, THD+N/frequency, IMD, DIM, noise, damping factor, crosstalk are explained quite in detail. A lot of permanently repeated questions is answered.
Such a nice looking thread, but - oh no! the links are all bust :(

Edit: the docs appear to have been moved here:

Last edited:

renzoe

I would like to open the thread dealing with important publications on class D amplifiers principles, topologies, characteristics and limitations. One of the great sources is the Hypex publications library at

The most explaining and resourceful publication is IMHO the "AES Class D master class" presentation
which explains in detail class D principles and also the main different basic topologies, the hysteresis modulator and the phase shift controlled oscillator. Benefits and limitations of both approaches are explained and it would explain to the reader what he could expect from both approaches.

UcD principle and comparison to hysteresis modulator is also explained in

and NCore improvement over UcD in

and also in

I believe that these publications might help the ASR visitors for better understanding of results of class D reviews here at ASR.

I would be very grateful if @amirm , @BDWoody or @AdamG247 could make this thread sticky, as it links to basic and necessary literature to understanding of class D function and parameters.
----------------------------------------
https://www.cornestech.co.jp/images/uploads/file/products/pdf/oa_product7-4_201503.pdf
Audio Precision white paper "Measuring Switch-mode Power Amplifiers". All the basic measuring methods like THD, THD+N/level, THD+N/frequency, IMD, DIM, noise, damping factor, crosstalk are explained quite in detail. A lot of permanently repeated questions is answered.
HI All!! Great post!

(I think this is my frist post, but I've been lurking on the forum for at least one year).

I am a newbie on audio (but Informatics engineering as background).
I am trying to learn more about everyhthing, but now I am down on amplifiers (I am recent owner of a pair of Focal Aria 948, paired with a Denon AVC-X3800H -- also have a central and two surrounds--. I want to improve my stereo experience right now).

Anyway, these links from Hypex seems golden (2021), however they are all offline. My question is:

Does anyone have a copy of them?
( EDIT
: OK, I found a page from hypex where at least the first file is hosted. https://www.hypex.nl/support/downloads/ )

I found the first one https://www.diyclassd.com/media/fe/01/90/1682341944/A universal grammar of class D.pdf (Working as 30/11/2023) Put it as attachment.

Regards!

Renzo

Attachments

• A universal grammar of class D.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Top Bottom