• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D monoblocks, which one?

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why the NC400 from Audiophonics when the NC500 is cheaper from them?

Because the spec sheets seem to indicate that the 400 is the superior product.

Continuous power output
Distortion
Low Impedance drive capability
Overall design (discrete vs ICs if it matters to folks)

That's by spec, but the DIY 400 seems to have done better than the Commercially built 500 in Amir's tests from what I recall. Neither is a slouch of course.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Red Dragon S500 stereo and D-Sonic 3 channel version (M3-1200)
of Pascal based amps.
Would Amir be willing to test?

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Red Dragon S500 stereo and D-Sonic 3 channel version (M3-1200)
of Pascal based amps.
Would Amir be willing to test?

Reach out to Amir and ask.

Cougar

So I’ve now lived with the Crown XLS 1502 for a while. I can’t tell if it’s just psychological or what but it doesn’t sound as crystal clear as my memory of the Vidar is. If I put my ear up to the speaker there is a slight hiss/hum which is reduced by lowering the gain. It is nearly eliminated by changing the input sensitivity to 1.4 and putting the gain at 12 o’clock. However if I do this I can turn my pream(Schiit Saga S) all the way up and barely hit 80db.

I have read that using the balanced inputs eliminates any hiss or hum. I have also heard that a high gain preamp is needed to provide enough headroom to keep the noise floor low.

So the question is now: what preamps pair best with an amp like this? Are there cheap, high gain, balanced preamps out there? I haven’t been able to find much.
Hi Everyone! I'm new here and saw this post so I will share my experience with the Crown XLS 1502. I will probably get some heat for this post but it's what I'm hearing.

I have the Crown XLS 1502 and 2502. Both are very nice sounding amps after you let them run in for over 100 hours in full range mode. When I first got the XLS 1502 I hooked it up to my newly aquired Clearfield Continentals by Counterpoint, very revieling speaker and cost almost $4K back in the early 90's , so not a cheap speaker. I was really disappoint in how small and sterile the amps sounded paired with these speakers when I first turned it on, I know break-in is needed on some amps so I let it run for around 35 hours and it was alot better sounding. I went on to another 80 hours and the amps was just so nice sounding, nothing like it sound when I first hooked it up. I did a side by side comparison to my VTA-120 Tube amp and the Crown came very close to The VTA-120, I mean really close.

The best sound im getting with the Crown XLS is using the Schiit Saga + with this amp and amp set at 0.7 on the input. Remember, the Saga is a Tube Buffer with with Volume Control and no gain so front end Sources should be of good output. I never get my Saga's volume passed 2-3 Oclock on its volume knob, just too loud for me. My Speakers are 4 ohm 87db. So that's pretty good. So a Tube preamp or Tube Buffer with volume control is probably the best match for these amps. Big difference between the bypass and Tube Buffer mode. In tube mode no hint of any harshness and just very nice sounding music.

I'm not saying the Crown is the all be all amp, just saying to let it run for some hours before giving up on it. I had a buddy come over and I didn't tell him about the Crown amp being in the system, he had heard it with the VTA-120 hooked up. So when he came and after few mins I put some tunes on and he said the VTA-120 was really sounding nice. I started to laugh and then he noticed the Crown was hooked up and he couldn't believe what he was hearing. He was really floored that this $300 PA amp was sounding that good! So much he bought one and at first said the same thing I said when he first turned it on and wanted to take it back. I told him to let it run-in for about 100hrs. He called me the following weekend saying how he was just loving the way the amp sounds after breaking it in for that amount of time. He is a happy camper and so much he bought another XLS-1502.

I have heard the Hypex Class D amps and they sound really good, but I'm happy with the Crown XLS 1502's and how it's sounding my system and no urge to go out and buy a more Expensive Class D amps.

Hope this helps!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Hi Everyone! I'm new here and saw this post so I will share my experience with the Crown XLS 1502. I will probably get some heat for this post but it's what I'm hearing.

I have the Crown XLS 1502 and 2502. Both are very nice sounding amps after you let them run in for over 100 hours in full range mode. When I first got the XLS 1502 I hooked it up to my newly aquired Clearfield Continentals by Counterpoint, very revieling speaker and cost almost $4K back in the early 90's , so not a cheap speaker. I was really disappoint in how small and sterile the amps sounded paired with these speakers when I first turned it on, I know break-in is needed on some amps so I let it run for around 35 hours and it was alot better sounding. I went on to another 80 hours and the amps was just so nice sounding, nothing like it sound when I first hooked it up. I did a side by side comparison to my VTA-120 Tube amp and the Crown came very close to The VTA-120, I mean really close.

The best sound im getting with the Crown XLS is using the Schiit Saga + with this amp and amp set at 0.7 on the input. Remember, the Saga is a Tube Buffer with with Volume Control and no gain so front end Sources should be of good output. I never get my Saga's volume passed 2-3 Oclock on its volume knob, just too loud for me. My Speakers are 4 ohm 87db. So that's pretty good. So a Tube preamp or Tube Buffer with volume control is probably the best match for these amps. Big difference between the bypass and Tube Buffer mode. In tube mode no hint of any harshness and just very nice sounding music.

I'm not saying the Crown is the all be all amp, just saying to let it run for some hours before giving up on it. I had a buddy come over and I didn't tell him about the Crown amp being in the system, he had heard it with the VTA-120 hooked up. So when he came and after few mins I put some tunes on and he said the VTA-120 was really sounding nice. I started to laugh and then he noticed the Crown was hooked up and he couldn't believe what he was hearing. He was really floored that this $300 PA amp was sounding that good! So much he bought one and at first said the same thing I said when he first turned it on and wanted to take it back. I told him to let it run-in for about 100hrs. He called me the following weekend saying how he was just loving the way the amp sounds after breaking it in for that amount of time. He is a happy camper and so much he bought another XLS-1502.

I have heard the Hypex Class D amps and they sound really good, but I'm happy with the Crown XLS 1502's and how it's sounding my system and no urge to go out and buy a more Expensive Class D amps.

Hope this helps!
Was this all done sighted or using basic ears-only controls?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I will probably get some heat for this post but it's what I'm hearing.

I wouldn't expect any heat...

I would, however expect significant skepticism.

JRS

Major Contributor
Well since the wife and kids were out of the house today I ran down to Guitar Center and picked up a Crown XLS 1502. I didn’t really know what to expect but I was pleased to find upon plugging it in that there was no discernible difference to my ears between it and the Vidar.

I set the highpass filter at 80hz and my subs at the same lowpass and it sounded great. Did some measurements with REW and after some tweaking with the subs was able to match measurements I took earlier in the week with the Vidar so I’m happy with it.

I’m gonna roll with it for a while and see how it does in daily use but right now I’m pleasantly surprised. Call me a bad audiophile. :)
No I'd call you a smart audiophile. It's the perfect solution to low power grunt, and Crown has never been short on current. In fact, just last night I was thinking about the 2501 which is now available for like 475.00 and delivers 750 x 2 into 4, which is exactly what my woofer bins need to really strut their stuff.

Top Bottom